Chemonics International Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Round 1: Phone screening with someone from HR. The rep gave me an overview of the company, and then asked really routine questions. It lasted exactly 30 minutes. Round 2: Panel interview with three people working in the department (all different levels). It lasted exactly 60 minutes. At the end of the interview, I really wasn't feeling very good about it. It was conducted over the phone and it's always hard to get a sense of how people are feeling during those types of interviews. Round 3: A member of the panel contacted me for my references, meanwhile the rep from HR contacted me to take the ELP Application & Online Assessment Offer: I was contacted by a member of the panel and told that I was going to be made an offer. About a week later, I spoke with the Director of the department to negotiate salary and discuss which projects I would be working on. General Advice: They are going to tell you that the salary is set at a certain rate ($46,500) during Round 1, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't negotiate! (That's a ridiculous starting salary, especially if you have a Masters degree like I do.) Also, phone interviews can be really tough, but don't let that throw you off. Thank you so much to Glassdoor.com and all the rest of the reviewers -- this site is a fantastic resource that really helped with interview preparation and salary negotiation. For this interview especially, there were many commonalities in the reviews and it was so easy to feel confident going into each round.

Interview Questions

• Round 1: Why Chemonics? What experience do you have that applies to the position? Define Versatility, Leadership, and Integrity. Describe a situation when you exhibited one of these qualities. Round 2: Name a time when you took a leadership role/initiative. Discuss a boss you had who was difficult to work with. How would you prioritize the following tasks (X, Y, Z)? Give an example of a time that you took on a role outside your required responsibilities. Round 3: ELP Application & Online Assessment (just as discussed in previous reviews)   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview involved multiple steps. I applied online to Chemonics' Entry Level Professional Program and then a month or so later I got an email requesting a phone screening. After passing the phone screening, there was a 1.5 hour timed online exam, followed by a panel interview and another in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe your ideal work environment and your ideal manager.   Answer Question

Project Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

VERY long process. I started interviewing in February and didn't get an offer until May. First round: phone interview (very easy). Second round: panel interview with four team members. Two months later I had another panel interview. Finally got an offer several weeks after that. Be prepared for the online exam (budget analysis, contract analysis, write a letter to supervisor + language test)

Interview Questions

• Ideal manager relationship? Some scenario questions about your ability to balance multiple tasks. Focus more on your admin experience than regional expertise.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Has an initial phone screen, had great conversation and was asked to come in for an interview. At the time I lived in a different state, about 6 hours away. I believe in this company and was very excited about the opportunity so I took a bus over night. I came in to a pretty straight forward interview. Everyone was very kind. The interview was a panel interview, where they just read from a piece of paper, but the questions where expected. Afterwards I was told to wait a few weeks. I never heard back from them, until I emailed my recruiter. She said that there had been a "snag" with the position and that I was welcomed to check in, in the near future. The job was posted again the following week on the job boards. I just wish they would have told me that I did not get the position rather then have me chase them down. I found it very unprofessional.

Project Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted within two weeks of submitting my resume online to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview (although ten minutes late) was very comfortable and the woman interviewing me was very friendly, asking fairly standard questions about my past experiences. I also had to define the three core values, as noted in previous notes for this position. She told me at the end of the phone interview that I was invited to an in-person panel interview. In all, the phone interview was almost exactly thirty minutes and I had a very good experience. I interviewed in person two weeks later in their office in DC. The panel interviewers took turns asking questions, most of which were situations. I was also asked a question in French to test my language skills.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

During the phone interview, she tried to be relaxed and easygoing. After a quick review of the company and position, she asked if I had any questions. She got through all of the generic steps and questions first, like salary (which she said was non-negotiable at $46,500) and employment eligibility, etc. Then she went on to the most simple and cliché interview questions pretty much ever...

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?   1 Answer
    • What tools do you use to keep yourself organized?   1 Answer
    • Define Versatility, Leadership, and Integrity. Describe a situation when you exhibited one of these qualities.   1 Answer
    • What experience do you have that applies to the position?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Chemonics International in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very bureaucratic. I applied and was contacted two days following the deadline of the posting. I then conducted an over the phone interview, which was basically a walk through your resume and to check your qualifications with the position. I was contacted a week later for a panel interview and online assessment tests. The assessment test was to analyze a contract, write a business letter and review an excel sheet (As previous posts said). The panel interview was with four people (1 manager, 3 associates) and lasted around 1 hour. During the interview, the questions ranged from behavioral to experience based ("tell me a time..."). Overall, the interview was fairly easy. Around a week later, I was contacted for reference checks. After reference checks were conducted, I waited 6 weeks to get a reject generic email response. After a couple follow ups with radio silence, I figured I didn't get the job, but the lack of professionalism shown throughout the process was very disheartening. I would not suggest this company to anyone seeking employment as they took over two months to send a rejection response and lacked clarity throughout the process. All of this for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through how you would complete a difficult task.   Answer Question

Deputy Chief of Party Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Chemonics International in April 2015.

Interview

After submitting my application materials, I had a phone interview with the project team based in Washington, DC. Then, I was asked to do a written exercise. The exercise was quite long and involved reviewing and editing a research paper, as well as making comments on the paper for the authors. I was only given a week to complete the assignment, so asked to review a shorter portion of the paper. The team accepted. Without variance, the project team was flexible and communicative - they have been a pleasure to work with. The interview and hiring process took a couple of months as the team vetted other candidates, sought approvals, etc. I recommend patience and understanding of the hoops that the project team is required to jump through in order to make hires for international projects.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were specific to the job description.   Answer Question

Training and Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Standard 30 minute phone interview. Contacted the following day to set-up an in-person panel interview. They asked that I complete an online skills test prior to the interview (write a business letter, analyze a contract and budget) - very straightforward. I was asked to come prepared to give a ten minute presentation on a topic of my choice. Interview questions were standard. Panel was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you were given the opportunity to step-up and take control of a project   Answer Question

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within a few days. My phone screen was generally pleasant, with the recruiter informing me at greater depth of the position and asking me some behavioral questions about how I handled issues in the past. She told me that I would hear back the next day and I did-- I was rejected, but it was nice to hear back so soon.