Chemonics International

Updated Dec 4, 2014

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International in October 2014.

I was emailed that I have been selected for a phone screen a few days after I applied (I applied at the deadline). The phone interview went smoothly, they asked questions about specific cases but also general ones.

The next week I was emailed for an face-to-face interview with 3 people, 2 project managers and one director, as well as aptitude tests (one basic operations skills, one language). There was no expression from any of the interviewers, and I thought the interview went smoothly. There were a number of case-based questions, specifically about project management and handling specific scenarios such as a team member not completing work on time.

I didn't get another call back. Several polite follow up inquires to the point of contact and I eventually got a generic rejection email. All in all respectable and polite process. I would have preferred a personalized email about the rejection but assume they have protocols to not respond.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a member of your project team continually failed to complete work on time?   Answer Question

Project Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International.

First step: Online application (they got back to me anywhere from 2 weeks - 1 month after submitting)
    Second step: Phone screen with basic questions about why you want to work for the company, in international development, and explaining more about the company in general and the specific department (roughly 30-45 minutes) (heard back within 2 weeks after initial followup)
    Third step: Panel interview - both behavioral and situational interview questions, again asking why Chemonics and international development (45 minutes-1 hour) (scheduled for three weeks after initial phone screen - I did mine via skype)
    Fourth step: Online assessments (90-minute timed assessments where you answer 10 questions on a sample grant of ~ 11 pages; analyze a budget and answer 10 questions on it; write a business letter asking a supervisor to attend a conference/something to augment professional development/growth - nothing too terrible)
    Fifth step: Offer

Interview Questions
    • What to do if clients start talking negatively about your manager while the manager is away.   Answer Question

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International in June 2014.

I applied online after seeing a posting an a international aid jobs website. Someone got back to be a couple of weeks later and asked to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted about 30 min and she said she would get back to me within the week but i never heard back.

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International.

I had at least 4 interviews and a written exam before getting an offer.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International in February 2014.

Contacted by e-mail for an initial screening interview with a current associate, followed within the week same by a request to complete an online skills test (contracts, budgeting, business letter) and online application (for background check). Invited to a panel interview with two associates and a manager the following week. Told in this interview that final candidates would be asked to attend a third interview with an SVP the following week - received no follow-up in this regard, and have not been contacted further regarding the status of the position(s).

Interview Questions
    • Define leadership, integrity, and versatility. Give an example of how you have practiced one of these in the workplace.   View Answer
    • Give an example of a time when you were required to take on responsibilities outside the usual scope of your role. What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • "In basket" question - given a series of events, how would you manage competing priorities?   View Answer

Benefits Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International.

After submitting my application online, I received an e-mail from the HR department to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and I got along really great with the interviewer. She asked me questions regarding my past experiences and why I was interested in working at Chemonics.

Export Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International in August 2013.

1. they will phone interview you. it is going to be a standard walk through your cv talk.
    2. the second round is an online test, covering multiple topics, including accounting
    3. panel interview
    4. in case you made it through all of it, you are hired.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International in June 2013.

I applied online and was contacted via email for a prescreening. They called to do a 20 minute phone interview, which I thought I blew but then was invited to complete the skills test online. The phone interview questions were scripted. The skills test online is not hard if you read the questions carefully. I was invited to interview in person, and two people interviewed me. The questions were your typical interview questions. More emphasis was put on my future with the company and what I expected out of my career. There was a clear emphasis that employment after the internship was not guaranteed, but that they were looking for someone who was a long-term committement to the company. There was also reiteration that everyone there must 'pay their dues' to be promoted, and that teams work long hours.
    Overall, the impression I got was that one of the interviewers hated his/her job, and the other had either been passed up for a promotion or was in the position to keep others from being promoted. They were both perfectly nice, but I was not enthused about the company after talking to them. I withdrew my application before I was notified of their decision.

Interview Questions
    • How would you define leadership, integrity and versatility?   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International in October 2012.

Multiple stages, even tests to take!

Archivist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chemonics International in July 2012.

I got an email from an associate letting me know that I'd been selected as a candidate for an archivist position. We arranged a time for an initial phone screening. In the screnning the associate gave an overview of the job duties. She then asked how I define integrity, leadership, and versatility, and asked me to describe an instance where I exhibited one of these traits in a job setting.