Chemtura

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Middlebury, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Chemtura in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial screening by HR (monkeys throwing darts would have done a better job), followed by face-to-face interviews with people in the business. HR does a terrible job getting feedback and coalescing it into an official view of the candidate so it usually comes down to the hiring manager making a decision.

Interview Question – Give an example when faced with an ethical dilemma and what you did about it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They proposed a salary that was considerably more than I was making and I accepted.

Finance Talent Development Program Interview

Finance Talent Development Program
Middlebury, CT

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chemtura.

Interview Details – I was contacted through Linkedin by the HR recruiter. He sent me a message detailing the Program. Entry level Finance program. 4 - 6 month rotations throughout the Finance Departments. All rotations typically on the Middlebury CT Campus. I replied back that I was interested in learning more about the program and attached my resume. The recruiter then applied for me through the Chemtura website using my resume. He then emailed me the job description and information about the company. From here he said set up a 1:1 phone interview for about 30 minutes - simple questions all focused on what was on my resume. From there he set up another phone interview for later on in the day with a Finance person that graduated the program a year prior. There were a couple easy technical questions such as describe the financial statements and their relationship to each other. He also asked about systems that I was familiar with. The second phone interview lasted about 15 minutes - I had a lot of co-op/internship experience that directly applied to the position. He then set up an interview for me to come to their campus. This day included 4 - 30 minute interviews. All with leaders within the different finance departments. These were all behavioral interviews - tell me about a time ..... and again questions regarding systems like tell me how familiar you are with TM1, hyperion, excel. Everyone was really nice and straight forward. One of the main concerns was about location. They are located in a very rural area and they know that young kids typically want to be located in a city atmosphere.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you worked in a team.
Name the financial statements and their relationship with each other. (I was told to refresh on CAPM and IRR prior to the interview, but they merely asked if I had taken any courses that taught these)
  View Answer

Reason for Declining – They only gave 1 week to respond to the offer and when I requested an extension to review other pending offers I was told they needed to get back to other candidates in a timely manner and could only give me 7 days. After a second request for an extension, I was granted an additional 7 days to consider the offer.
On my application I put my minimum to accept would be 55k. The Salary offer was 50k (NACE says the bottom 10% get 55k) - Considering the Cost of living, my prior experience of 1 year that is directly related to the position, how much other companies pay for leadership programs, GPA, School ect. NACE and Salary.com determined my market value is significantly higher. I tried to negotiate 10k higher which is a fair range considering all those factors above but the recruiter responded back saying that the number wasn't going to change because according to their database the offer is competitive. I have no idea how they determined 5k less than the bottom 10% is competitive.
Nice people. Alot of opportunity to learn early on but lower Salary offer than expected and no room for negotiation with such a short notice to respond made it really hard to make an informed decision. In the end I accepted an offer with a different company that offered what I was looking for in terms of salary and benefits.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Naugatuck, CT

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Chemtura.

Interview Details – Individual interview with 4-5 people, did a technical presentation and panel interview with ~8 people. Interview took all day

Negotiation Details – Not too much room for negotiation

Director Interview

Director
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Chemtura in May 2009.

Interview Details – Moved into Chemtura from Witco

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

Senior Accountant
Middlebury, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Chemtura.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter, has one interview with an HR type and Assistant Controller. Contacted for a second interview two weeks later and was offered a job a week later at a lowball offer. Negotiated $10,000 higher pay and accepted. Biggest mistake of my life!

Negotiation Details – Easy, they caved to my higher pay demand right away.

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chemtura.

Interview Details – I applied for a sales position and received a call back from a recruiter who wanted to do a phone interview. We set up a time and date. She explained the interview process. All of which was standard. However, after the telephone interview I never heard back on anything. No second interview; which I understand. However, there was no rejection letter and I received no responses from the HR recruiter when I sent her two follow up e mails. I thought this was very unprofessional and left me with a bad experience with how Chemtura treats potential employees. HR is supposed to be the dept. who looks out for the employees.

Interview Question – Tell me really why you want to leave your company.   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Mechanical Design Engineer
Naugatuck, CT

I applied online - interviewed at Chemtura in January 2013.

Interview Details – two long phone interviews with HR and the vice president. The interview went very well, they were both excited about me. We even discussed about the salary range (pushing me to accept a lower salary to start with.) The vice president said the HR would let me know in couple of days about the decision. However, they never got back to me with any updated, they just ignored my emails. Very rude!

Interview Question – abotu my salary expectation before decision   Answer Question

Packer Interview

Packer
Conyers, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chemtura.

Interview Details – Three interview process. Sent to the HR manager and then to the department supervisor and then to the lead person.

Interview Question – Are you allergic to any chemicals?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They told you what hours you would work and everybody in that position made the same rate of pay.

Strategic Sourcng Manager Interview

Strategic Sourcng Manager
Lawrenceville, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Chemtura in April 2011.

Interview Details – Initialphone interview with recruiter; followed by phone intervie with hiring manager. This was followed by face to face interviews on site with multiple people (Procurement, Technology, Ne Buiness Development, HR). The final was a phone interview with the VP of Procurement,

Interview Question – The most challenging questions wee during the phone interview with the VP. He asked very specific questions about how I would approach diffeent purchasing scenarios.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Vacaion, sign on bonus, salary, relocation

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chemtura in January 2012.

Interview Details – they need work experience for entry level jobs

Interview Question – work experience   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Chemtura? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chemtura interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Chemtura employees and interview candidates.