Chesapeake Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Geologist Interview

Geologist
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in April 2014.

Interview Details – First interviewed with CHK at career fair in spring 2014. First interview was brief and very pleasant with not difficult questions, mostly asked about research/work experience and how my skills would contribute to the company. I was contacted the following Monday to arrange an on-site interview. On-site interview consisted of two interviews with two managers in each. These were more formal but still casual and they mostly asked how my thesis research could relate to industry. The campus is amazing and unfortunately I was notified two days later that I was not receiving an offer.

Interview Question – What are some of CHK's shale plays?   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in February 2014.

Interview Details – My interview process was very smooth. I applied and was contacted within a week to come in for an interview. I meet with three key leaders and had an offer for the position that evening. My recruiter even contacted me after hours to accomodate my needs

Interview Question – I felt like the interview questions were very relatable to the position that I was intervewing for and was able to answer all of them without any that surprised me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Data Quality Technician/Engineering Technician I Interview

Data Quality Technician/Engineering Technician I
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in November 2013.

Interview Details – Fairly quick process, only took a couple of days. after doing the face to face interview the hiring manager stated to me that the job is mine and that all I have to wait for is the background check, about 2 weeks later the recruiter called me to tell me that I was not offered the position.

Interview Question – Regular standard interview questions   Answer Question

Geo Tech Interview

Geo Tech
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy.

Interview Details – A screener called a few days after applying online to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of basic interview questions; "what would you do in this situation?", "tell me a time when...", "what do you know about this company?", etc. About four days later, they contacted me to let me know that I had moved on and they flew me out to Oklahoma City about a week later. I interviewed with 3 groups of 2 people each, where we mostly went over my resume, and then wrapped it up with HR. It lasted a total of 2.5 hours. Everyone was very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy.

Interview Details – A phone screen with a manager and a few programmers comes first. They ask mostly about Object Oriented Design, Patterns, and architecture. They ask questions about the skills you listed on your resume as they apply to your last or current position. It lasts between 30 minutes to an hour. Next, is the in-person interview in Oklahoma City. It's scheduled for 4 hours. The first 2 hours are with 3 managers who ask you behavioral questions from a printed list given to them by Human Resources. The next 2 hours is with 2 managers and 2 engineers. They ask some C# questions, but it's mainly about object oriented design, architecture, and patterns. They also ask about mocking, test driven design, dependency injection. They also asked about TFS, branching, and conflict resolution. They want someone with heavy Microsoft Enterprise Development experience instead of just a programmer. The last thing you do is code FizzBuzz on the whiteboard. Example questions: What is .net? What is MVC? What's a Stringbuilder and why would you use it? What is mocking? What is dependency injection? What is polymorphism? How would you set up a mocking framework in your project? What's the difference between Var and Dynamic? What is garbage collection? Name the design patterns you know. Are you familiar with continuous integration?

Interview Question – How do you resolve conflicts in TFS?   Answer Question

Associate Geophysicist Interview

Associate Geophysicist
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in April 2013.

Interview Details – I had interviewed with Chesapeake in the fall but was informed that they did not have a business need for my role at the time. I was contacted for another interview this spring at a job fair and interviewed with three gentlemen, one of whom was a vice president. Both interviews felt fairly laid back and more conversational. That being said, it was important to know when to contribute.

I got a second interview on the Chesapeake campus in Oklahoma City. It was a half day interview from about 12-4. I went to lunch with some of the younger staff at one of the restaurants they have on location and got a tour of the facilities. Following that was a few rounds of interviews with two people in each. The first was more technical based, where I was asked the majority of questions mostly related to how I would solve a certain problem. The following interviews were with more senior individuals who were more interested in personal goals and what I wanted to do with my career. Lastly is a talk with HR.
I am still waiting to hear back from them but I was told that I would know by the end of the week.

Interview Question – No tough question really stands out in my mind. Just make sure to prepare for your role and read up about the business beforehand.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in March 2013.

Interview Details – Nice campus. Question the future of the company given recent issues in the press and with temporary leadership.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave current employer?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Supply Chain Interview

Supply Chain
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was by phone and it was so difficult to hear the questions due to the persons office being on a busy street , which they acknowledged. Why if they knew people could not hear them would they put you through asking to repeat the questions and answers (both ways) Then they sat and just talked to each other just friendly conversation and then would apologize. It was a huge waste of 20 min of my life and the time I mentally prepared for it. I never heard from them.

Interview Question – I am sorry can you repeat that again and again.   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Field Engineer
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in June 2008.

Interview Details – 4 interviews with Vice Presidents or above. Hiring process was smooth and relaxed. Mostly behavioral questions. Fit is a very important part of the hiring process, but you also need to prove that you have the technical ability as well.

Interview Question – How could you help improve our company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate.

Facilities Designer Interview

Facilities Designer
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chesapeake Energy in September 2011.

Interview Details – very good and smooth process for contractors

Negotiation Details – offer was above expectations

Worked for Chesapeake Energy? Contribute to the Community!