Chevron Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2014

3.3

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Chevron.

The interview will be a group/panel interview consisting of about 2-3 individuals. One with the hiring manager, another person that the potential candidate may have interactions with if hired, and an expert from a sister company within the company. You will be asked questions on your skill set, but most of the questions are behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions
  • A lot of the questions were behavioral (situational) based questions so make sure that you have examples to back up your answers.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Chevron

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chevron.

Applied through my school's career services website. First interview, at my school campus, was one-on-one and lasted about 40-45 minutes. Second round consisted of three interviews at their office building, all of them one-on-one and all lasting about 45 minutes each. Heard back within a week after first round, and within two weeks after second round.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions and some basic accounting questions, nothing too complicated. eg. Free cash flow vs. net income, capitalization, depreciation vs. amortization.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in October 2013.

Interviewed through college recruiting, and had a 30 minute interview on campus. The interview was standard with behavioral questions, specifically geared towards leadership qualities. There were a few accounting/finance technical questions to start.

At the end of the interview, I asked my interviewee what they were looking for in a candidate. The response was "the high GPA gets you in the door with an interview, but I look for that special something extra that I can't easily describe".

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Chevron in August 2013.

The process was extremely disorganized. Applied for a job that I greatly exceeded the job requirements for and the recruiter reached out to me over the phone a few days after the submission deadline (note that I had applied to Chevron nearly a dozen times earlier, and never received so much as a "no thank you"). The day of the interview came and I was sat waiting for 30-minutes past the interview time. When the interview began, there was still a member of the team late, so we waited in the interview room for this individual and held small talk.

The interview seemed to go well and I was able to answer their questions thoroughly.
    I came into a panel interview of three and was fully prepared to handle the behavioral/STAR type of questions. The problem came when I asked questions to the team in regard to the responsibility of the role and the direction of the particular area of the company. Incompetence and disorganization seemed abound as they were unable to answer these questions, and they seemed very irritated that I even asked such questions. I suppose one is suppose to bow down to the hiring team and take whatever is slapped down. I did indeed narrow in on the fact that there was little answer, as I truly wanted to learn more about the role and the organization. I received none of it. I was told there would be another couple of rounds of interviews, but heard back a week later I did not receive the position.

By the way, I only heard back because I, myself, called the recruiter. They did not even do the courtesy to contact me back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in October 2011.

INITIAL CONTACT:

After applying online I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview for the following week.

INTERVIEW FORMAT

3 - 40 minute interviews (2 hr interview total)

INTERVIEW STYLE

HIGHLY IMPORTANT:

Behavioral Interview

1. Have 4-5 personal/work stories dealing with communication/teamwork/solving conflict
    2. Be prepared to tell stories in STAR format : Situation, Task, Action, Result

Know the Company

1. Why do you want to work at Chevron?

Know about accounting!

1. What is the difference between the statement of cash flows and the income statement?
    2. How do you know whether to capitalize or expense an item?

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between the statement of cash flows and the income statement? Why is their net income different?   View Answer
    • How would you know whether to capitalize or expense an item?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in March 2011.

Very straightforward one on one interviewing process, mostly behavioral-based questions, will ask things about the company such as: who do you think are our competitors, etc. recruiter will expect you to elaborate on your answers and demonstrate some knowledge about the oil and gas industry.
    Expect some questions about your resume, activities that you did, why you did them, etc. Will ask if you are willing to relocate. If you have the opportunity, tell them as much stuff that you know about recent oil and gas events as possible – you should always do your research before walking into the interview room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chevron in November 2010.

There were 3 different interviews lasting about 45 minutes each. They were all non-technical questions. The interviews were geared towards assessing your personality, leadership capabilities/potential, and goals and aspirations. The interviewers were all very friendly and not intimidating.

Overall, the interviews were not difficult, as long as you are well prepared and equipped with interviewing experience.

Interview Questions
    • As stated above all of the questions were non-technical questions. However, they did ask a few situational questions. For example, "please provide an example of a situation where you were given a leadership role and handled a difficult problem."   View Answer
    There wasn't much room for negotiation for the position I applied for. They explained to me that there was a standard pay for this specific position, which was later verified by other coworkers that accepted the same position. All in all, it was a straighforward and painless process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in April 2008.

I interviewed with them through an agency, the interview was about 20 minutes long and was regarding what I had done previously. Since this was my first position in the USA and out of college, I did not have much experience the interview focused on my studies. After that they conducted a backround check and drug test and about a week later I had the job.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Chevron.

Phone then 3 interviews. Last is panel interview

Financial Analyst Interview

I was an intern in the marketing department. I sent my application to finance and went through their "campus recruiting". I was flown to the Bay Area for the interview, put up in a hotel, food provided. They matched you up with a "buddy" - a new analyst that takes you around to your different interviewers. 3 different interviews, mostly on fit. Another senior manager takes you out to lunch. Enjoyable process, as far as interviews go.