Chevron

Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.2

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chevron.

Selected through MBA on-grounds recruiting to interview for leadership development program. Brought in for final round interviews, consisting of four 45-min interviews. Everyone was very courteous, and interview questions focused more on behavioral, why interested in energy/oil, and a few questions about how to evaluate projects. A good understanding of how integrated oil & gas companies are structured and how the oil & gas markets functions is important, but Chevron is even more interested in how you will work first as an individual contributor, your enthusiasm for the industry, and willingness to rotate assignments every few years to broaden your knowledge and experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Chevron

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Chevron in October 2014.

There were different areas hiring actually as financial, supply chain and accounting. The first part was in a room with 7 people approximately each one with a specific area. They looked through your CV and asked just easy questions. Background then if they liked your resume you would go to the next round where the questions were more specific to the degree you take and you intend to do with it.

Interview Questions
    • Aksed to detail a process that you on excel. Pivotable   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in October 2014.

On campus interview with two people. Mostly Fairly straightforward behavioral questions using the STAR method. No technical questions were asked besides some basic stuff about the financial statements. From my experience, it seems like they are looking for people who are willing to relocate to other countries for extended projects.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too bad, but they asked you to walk them through all three financial statements   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chevron in October 2014.

Applied through on-campus recruiting and was notified that I was selected for an interview within a few weeks of applying. I answered all of the "technical" accounting/oil & gas related questions fairly easily but still did not receive an offer. They try to hire most of their full time employees from their internship classes so go into the interviews with the mindset of wanting to work for them full time. Also, they want you to be open to working overseas.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me what a Income Statement, Cash Flow Statement, and Balance Sheet are and how they all relate to each other.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Chevron.

The interview will be a group/panel interview consisting of about 2-3 individuals. One with the hiring manager, another person that the potential candidate may have interactions with if hired, and an expert from a sister company within the company. You will be asked questions on your skill set, but most of the questions are behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of the questions were behavioral (situational) based questions so make sure that you have examples to back up your answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Applied through my school's career services website. First interview, at my school campus, was one-on-one and lasted about 40-45 minutes. Second round consisted of three interviews at their office building, all of them one-on-one and all lasting about 45 minutes each. Heard back within a week after first round, and within two weeks after second round.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions and some basic accounting questions, nothing too complicated. eg. Free cash flow vs. net income, capitalization, depreciation vs. amortization.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in October 2013.

Interviewed through college recruiting, and had a 30 minute interview on campus. The interview was standard with behavioral questions, specifically geared towards leadership qualities. There were a few accounting/finance technical questions to start.

At the end of the interview, I asked my interviewee what they were looking for in a candidate. The response was "the high GPA gets you in the door with an interview, but I look for that special something extra that I can't easily describe".

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Chevron in August 2013.

The process was extremely disorganized. Applied for a job that I greatly exceeded the job requirements for and the recruiter reached out to me over the phone a few days after the submission deadline (note that I had applied to Chevron nearly a dozen times earlier, and never received so much as a "no thank you"). The day of the interview came and I was sat waiting for 30-minutes past the interview time. When the interview began, there was still a member of the team late, so we waited in the interview room for this individual and held small talk.

The interview seemed to go well and I was able to answer their questions thoroughly.
    I came into a panel interview of three and was fully prepared to handle the behavioral/STAR type of questions. The problem came when I asked questions to the team in regard to the responsibility of the role and the direction of the particular area of the company. Incompetence and disorganization seemed abound as they were unable to answer these questions, and they seemed very irritated that I even asked such questions. I suppose one is suppose to bow down to the hiring team and take whatever is slapped down. I did indeed narrow in on the fact that there was little answer, as I truly wanted to learn more about the role and the organization. I received none of it. I was told there would be another couple of rounds of interviews, but heard back a week later I did not receive the position.

By the way, I only heard back because I, myself, called the recruiter. They did not even do the courtesy to contact me back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in October 2011.

INITIAL CONTACT:

After applying online I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview for the following week.

INTERVIEW FORMAT

3 - 40 minute interviews (2 hr interview total)

INTERVIEW STYLE

HIGHLY IMPORTANT:

Behavioral Interview

1. Have 4-5 personal/work stories dealing with communication/teamwork/solving conflict
    2. Be prepared to tell stories in STAR format : Situation, Task, Action, Result

Know the Company

1. Why do you want to work at Chevron?

Know about accounting!

1. What is the difference between the statement of cash flows and the income statement?
    2. How do you know whether to capitalize or expense an item?

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between the statement of cash flows and the income statement? Why is their net income different?   View Answer
    • How would you know whether to capitalize or expense an item?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chevron in March 2011.

Very straightforward one on one interviewing process, mostly behavioral-based questions, will ask things about the company such as: who do you think are our competitors, etc. recruiter will expect you to elaborate on your answers and demonstrate some knowledge about the oil and gas industry.
    Expect some questions about your resume, activities that you did, why you did them, etc. Will ask if you are willing to relocate. If you have the opportunity, tell them as much stuff that you know about recent oil and gas events as possible – you should always do your research before walking into the interview room.