Chevron

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Analyst Interview

San Ramon, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Chevron in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call on an online job application I completed a few months earlier and had already forgotten about. I had applied several times over the years and never got a response before, I expected this to be the same. I was told that interviews where being held the next week. I opted to go late in the week to give me time to prepare. I spent two whole days preparing and practicing responses to behavioral questions, watching youtube videos of interview techniques, reading the panel members linkedin profiles etc.
The whole process began with a short phone interview with HR representative and actual face-to-face interview was with a three-person panel. They explained their organizational structure and the responsibilities of the role then asked me to talk through my resume. I walked them through chronologically placing emphasis on skills relevant to the job being interviewed for. They seemed friendly and impressed with my experience. It lasted about an hour, which I thought was short. I was ready for more.
I received a call the next day from HR saying that they loved me and would like me to provide 3 references. Within a week I had a verbal offer and compensation expectations were discussed, they seemed reluctant to negotiate and offered me exactly what I was currently making, but at the end the official base salary offer was about 9% better than what I agreed to verbally.
Currently doing drug and background checks before a start date is fixed. This process is said to take about 2 weeks. I am spending the time doing some more interviews in San Francisco, but I am likely to stay with Chevron except of course if one of these companies makes me an obscene offer that I can not refuse.

Interview Question – How do your personal goals and values fit in with Chevron's?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Verbal negotiation with HR, but they were did not move up at all on the call. They seemed content to tell you about the benefits of working for such a great company. But it is always good to state a number and see how they respond.

Operations Geologist Interview

Moon Township, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Chevron in November 2011.

Interview Details – Got in contact at the AAPG Eastern Section convention, was called in and was interviewed by several geologists, got a call that I got the position within a few days

Interview Question – Asked about expectations of a work experience I was not familiar with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was necessary

IT Manager Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Chevron.

Interview Details – Found the opening at chevron web site, and submitted resume online, a long process to put all resume information to a online format. Month later got interview request.

Interview Question – How much do you earn currently?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too far from home.

Contract Administrator Interview

Contract Administrator

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Chevron.

Interview Details – I was emailed about a week after I submitted a resume for a phone interview. There were 2 people on the phone interview and they asked very generic questions - e.g. describe yourself, what type of contracting work have you performed. After about 2-3 weeks I was called in for an in person interview where they asked basically the same questions again, but this time I was interviewed by a 4 member panel. People were very nice and one of them gave me a card and said to call anytime with questions. Also had to pass a drug test and background check.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Chevron in October 2012.

Interview Details – Went to college career info night and handed in my resume for a chance to interview. Didn't actually expect to get an interview the next day.

the interview was in STAR method and was conducted by a senior design engineer and a recently hired design engineer.

then waited from oct2012 till now. i assume it's been offer to someone else but at least i expect to get a notice.

followed up twice but no response, that was the unprofessional part in their end. however, i really enjoyed the interview process

Engineering Technical Assistant Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Chevron in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in December 2012. Received a call in last week of January 2013 from San Ramon California to schedule an interview date and then interviewed 3rd week of February 2013. Received an offer in 3rd week of March 2013. By 2nd week of April still going through background checks and drug/alcohol tests after which a start date will be decided.

Interview Question – I was interviewed by a panel of 4 engineers. Most questions were situational questions such as tell me a situation where you took more job than you could deliver, how did you handle it? Have you ever had to back out of a commitment at work, how did you handle it. Tell us about yourself? Tell us how you learn the use of new applications? Have you ever had an issue with a co-worker, how did you handle it? What data analysis tools have you used in the past: can you used pivot tables? Have you ever had to report a co-worker to HR department. So it was all conversational and really nothing to memorize or throw one off-balance.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer was non-negotiable

Intern Interview

Intern
College Station, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Chevron.

Interview Details – Chevron came on campus and arranged an info night and series of interviews through the college. My majors was not part of there target group but I went to the info night and submitted my resume and made an impression. They gave me there only open interview spot the next day. They called me within a few weeks with an internship offer that was full time with salary and benefits. After 2 months of my internship, I was hired full time pending my degree.

Interview Question – Why did I think I got the only open interview spot?   View Answer

Technical Assistant Interview

Technical Assistant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chevron in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online on the Chevron website and received an invitation to interview in about a month. I interviewed at the downtown Houston location which is conveniently next to a downtown tunnel entry and a bus stop. Arrived early and received my security badge, someone came to escort me 10 minutes later. It's a very impressive building with high level security everywhere. Interview itself was low stress. Asked about my past experiences, resume highlights, my interpretation of the position and what the job entailed, etc. They also asked about myself and personality questions.

Interview Question – Tell us how you handled a situation with several assignments that were all due very soon and at the same time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a phone call with an offer. Then an email outlining the salary and benefits. You then have the option of accepting or declining (there is a list of reasons for declining that you can choose from).

Very Easy Interview

Category Manager Interview

Category Manager
Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Chevron.

Interview Details – MBA school recruiting process on campus. Interview led to internship and successful performance during internship leads to employment offer. Essentially the entire internship is a 2-3 month interview process.

Interview Question – Most difficult question is how would you deal with difficult co-workers to ensure project goals or performance objectives are met.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Several phone calls and trying to truly determine if the company didn't negotiate as a principle or policy.

Public Affairs Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Chevron.

Interview Details – Process was quite simple.

Interview Question – What do you think is the biggest challenge facing our industry?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Chevron