Chevron Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 22, 2015

Facilities Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I was invited for an interview with a recruiter after meeting chevron on campus at a career fair. The interview was STAR based and dealt with different behavioral aspects of the job. I had prepared a few different scenarios after reviewing the STAR format online.. They give you time to think and to respond to the questions asked but I would suggest that you prepare a few experiences, ranging from sometime you had to make a difficult decision to times you were a leader.. basic behavioral situations. Part of this interview that sticks out was a time when I was asked about being in a difficult situation. I talked about a time I was stumped and didn't know how to approach problem at a past job, so I admitted that to a superior and was helped out. My interviewer mentioned that this was a great example because as a facilities engineer, and new college graduate, there will be many many times when you come across something you don't know and will NEED to ask for help. Recognizing the limits to what you know is a valuable skill. I was invited for an on site interview at the refinery after a week or two. I was contacted by my "host" who was another facilities engineer. They gave me an interview schedule and informed me that I would be giving a presentation. The presentation was on anything I wanted, but should be technical in nature. The day started with my ~12-15 presentation and ~10-20 minutes spent on questions/answers -- be sure to know your stuff when it comes to whatever technical presentation you give. They are looking at how well of a communicator you are and if you can put complex ideas/conceptualization into plain english. Then came a few technical interviews on engineering fundamentals (some questions listed below) and a tour of the facilities. Finally the day ended with an interview with a higher-up manager but this was more like you interviewing the manager (rather than you being interviewed). It serves the purpose to talk about questions you have about the position, the benefits that chevron provides its employees, perks, etc.. I would prepare a lot of questions before getting on site. You interview with many people about the job and each one is going to ask you if you have any questions. I felt kind of bad about this interview because I had run out of questions through the day and I think the manager was expecting more questions out of me. If I could do it over I would have asked about 401k specifics, health insurance specifics, vacation time specifics, what aspects of the job are open to negotiations (salary, vacation days, starting date).

Interview Questions

• Technical on-site questions: Take me through what happens in a refinery -- from when crude comes in, to oil/gas/final product going out. Name a few different types of pumps? What are some ways you can join pipes together? Welding, Flange/Fasteners, Mated pipes Questions on piping a fluid? Inertia effects, (rho*g*h) = pressure, Bernoulli's eqn's... Fundamentally how a cracking tower works?   Answer Question

Health, Safety, Environment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chevron (Berkeley, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through university, process took 2+ weeks, I was contacted for an on campus interview in the career center, two people interviewed me, one young professional and an older woman, both friendly and informal, I dressed professional and it was probably over the top

Marine Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chevron (San Ramon, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Normal HR contact and schedule a face to face. Nothing more to write but glassdoor wants me to type in more texts. Okay. There is nothing more to write as I dont know how they decide on who to call.

Refinery Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Two interviews - one screening via telephone, one on site. The screening interview was very positive. The on-site interview was with a group of professionals related to the position. It began very well. However, a portion of the corporate interview structure involved describing past achievements with specific, measurable details. I was unprepared to answer in sufficient detail for their process.

Interview Questions

• Several questions regarding specific technical details and itemized monetary payoff of technical support from projects completed multiple years ago. Example: What brand/part did you use to improve equipment for [specific process]? How much monetary gain/savings resulted?   1 Answer

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chevron (Concord, CA).

Interview

Pretty typical, nothing unusual. I interviewed with two supervisors at the same time. I had prior experience, so i knew how to answer the standard questions. The most important question was, "How do you handle a customer who is upset?"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was a contract job. There was no negotiation. I had to accept any shift, any day including weekends and holidays. The pay was set, the attitude was, "Take it or leave it."

Brand Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Chevron (San Ramon, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Met with recruiter. Recruiter requested my salary to determine whether I should go through the interview process. The Recruiter did share Chevron's excellent employee benefits which were very attractive, however the salary was significantly less than my current salary which was the deciding factor in ending the interview process.

Regional Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Chevron (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

I applied online to their website, and was called by a recruiter about four to six weeks later. After a brief phone screening, a panel interview was scheduled. The interview process was well organized and appropriate to the job for which I applied. Behavioral interview techniques were used.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question pertained to my rationale for why I thought I was the best candidate for the position. I found it challenging to come up with a response as I did not know with whom I was competing for the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I was so excited to receive the offer, and it was already more generous than I expected, so I simply accepted the offer with pleasure.

Finance MBA Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Chevron (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

If you are not at one of Chevron's "core" schools that recruits on-campus, you will have to attend a conference and network with Chevron Finance employees in order to have a chance at a first round interview. The earlier in the school year you do this, the better - all first round interviews are completed by early November with second rounds shortly thereafter.

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Chevron (Berkeley, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was relatively easy and did not involve any technical questions. Essentially a discussion on your previous work history and behavioral questions. The company had sufficient faith in your abilities given your GPA or the caliber of your university to skip it all together. There is a tendency to move around the company once you are in, so it makes expertise in one field unnecessary.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Rate seemed pretty set in stone.

Accounting Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chevron (Concord, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter about two weeks later to set up an interview. I was told ahead of time that I would be interviewing with a total of 4 people. When I got there I was taken on a small tour (including gym and break area, etc). I got the impression that not a lot of new people are hired very often. Lots of people start working here and stay here for their entire careers. The interview took place in a small conference room. The questions appeared to have been selected from a pre-screened list of acceptable questions. Fairly standard as far as questions go. Lots of questions asking for examples of various things.