Chevron

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern
Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Chevron in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was relatively easy and did not involve any technical questions. Essentially a discussion on your previous work history and behavioral questions. The company had sufficient faith in your abilities given your GPA or the caliber of your university to skip it all together. There is a tendency to move around the company once you are in, so it makes expertise in one field unnecessary.

Interview Question – How did you deal with a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Rate seemed pretty set in stone.

Technical Support Interview

Technical Support
Concord, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Chevron.

Interview Details – Pretty typical, nothing unusual. I interviewed with two supervisors at the same time. I had prior experience, so i knew how to answer the standard questions. The most important question was, "How do you handle a customer who is upset?"

Interview Question – None of the questions were unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a contract job. There was no negotiation. I had to accept any shift, any day including weekends and holidays. The pay was set, the attitude was, "Take it or leave it."

IT PM Interview

IT PM
San Ramon, CA

I interviewed at Chevron in January 2010.

Interview Details – First I had a phone screening, then there were 2 in person interviews with a panel of 6 people (ranging in roles, from peer in dept to senior manager),

Interview Question – Lots of questions asking for me to explain concepts in Project Management to gauge my understanding of the field   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Ramon, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chevron in November 2010.

Interview Details – There were 3 different interviews lasting about 45 minutes each. They were all non-technical questions. The interviews were geared towards assessing your personality, leadership capabilities/potential, and goals and aspirations. The interviewers were all very friendly and not intimidating.

Overall, the interviews were not difficult, as long as you are well prepared and equipped with interviewing experience.

Interview Question – As stated above all of the questions were non-technical questions. However, they did ask a few situational questions. For example, "please provide an example of a situation where you were given a leadership role and handled a difficult problem."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much room for negotiation for the position I applied for. They explained to me that there was a standard pay for this specific position, which was later verified by other coworkers that accepted the same position. All in all, it was a straighforward and painless process.

Finance MBA Development Program Interview

Finance MBA Development Program
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Chevron in November 2013.

Interview Details – If you are not at one of Chevron's "core" schools that recruits on-campus, you will have to attend a conference and network with Chevron Finance employees in order to have a chance at a first round interview. The earlier in the school year you do this, the better - all first round interviews are completed by early November with second rounds shortly thereafter.

Interview Question – What is the biggest misconception about you?   Answer Question

Accounting Financial Analyst Interview

Accounting Financial Analyst
Concord, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Chevron in October 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter about two weeks later to set up an interview. I was told ahead of time that I would be interviewing with a total of 4 people. When I got there I was taken on a small tour (including gym and break area, etc). I got the impression that not a lot of new people are hired very often. Lots of people start working here and stay here for their entire careers.

The interview took place in a small conference room. The questions appeared to have been selected from a pre-screened list of acceptable questions. Fairly standard as far as questions go. Lots of questions asking for examples of various things.

Interview Questions

Regional Planner Interview

Regional Planner
San Ramon, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Chevron.

Interview Details – I applied online to their website, and was called by a recruiter about four to six weeks later. After a brief phone screening, a panel interview was scheduled. The interview process was well organized and appropriate to the job for which I applied. Behavioral interview techniques were used.

Interview Question – The most difficult question pertained to my rationale for why I thought I was the best candidate for the position. I found it challenging to come up with a response as I did not know with whom I was competing for the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I was so excited to receive the offer, and it was already more generous than I expected, so I simply accepted the offer with pleasure.

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chevron in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, and received a call the next week. After the phone screen, I went onsite for a panel interview. Interview was primarily behavioral, with focus on communication, teamwork, and leadership. At the end, I was given ample time to ask questions, in fact the interviewers kept encouraging me to ask more and more questions....overall it was a very positive experience. My chemistry with the interviewers was a large reason why I accepted the offer.

Interview Question – When have you had to communicate a piece of bad news to your colleagues and superiors? How did you go about this communication?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation, set pay scale and benefits for the position I applied for.

Very Easy Interview

Analyst Interview

Analyst
San Ramon, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Chevron in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call on an online job application I completed a few months earlier and had already forgotten about. I had applied several times over the years and never got a response before, I expected this to be the same. I was told that interviews where being held the next week. I opted to go late in the week to give me time to prepare. I spent two whole days preparing and practicing responses to behavioral questions, watching youtube videos of interview techniques, reading the panel members linkedin profiles etc.
The whole process began with a short phone interview with HR representative and actual face-to-face interview was with a three-person panel. They explained their organizational structure and the responsibilities of the role then asked me to talk through my resume. I walked them through chronologically placing emphasis on skills relevant to the job being interviewed for. They seemed friendly and impressed with my experience. It lasted about an hour, which I thought was short. I was ready for more.
I received a call the next day from HR saying that they loved me and would like me to provide 3 references. Within a week I had a verbal offer and compensation expectations were discussed, they seemed reluctant to negotiate and offered me exactly what I was currently making, but at the end the official base salary offer was about 9% better than what I agreed to verbally.
Currently doing drug and background checks before a start date is fixed. This process is said to take about 2 weeks. I am spending the time doing some more interviews in San Francisco, but I am likely to stay with Chevron except of course if one of these companies makes me an obscene offer that I can not refuse.

Interview Question – How do your personal goals and values fit in with Chevron's?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Verbal negotiation with HR, but they were did not move up at all on the call. They seemed content to tell you about the benefits of working for such a great company. But it is always good to state a number and see how they respond.

Compliance Specialist Interview

Compliance Specialist
San Ramon, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Chevron in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received call from HR several weeks later. Went to interview within one week. Chevron contacted me about six (6) months later to inform me that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Question – There were several challenging interview questions which I believe I answered thoroughly.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!

Chevron Videos

Chevron – Why Work for Us?

Chevron Corporation is one of the world's leading integrated energy and technology companies, with subsidiaries that conduct business worldwide under the Chevron, Texaco, and Caltex brands. The company's success is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Chevron employees and interview candidates.