Chicago History Museum Interview Questions

3.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Chicago History Museum

Collections Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Chicago History Museum.

I was interviewed by my former boss and another supervisor. The interview was no longer than 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    I received a phone call several days later with an offer. There was no room to negotiate, and there was some question of my benefits after I was hired, in the months to come.

Communications Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chicago History Museum in March 2013.

They asked 5-7 "finalists" to develop an exhibition idea, then create a complete marketing campaign with fully written, designed, and laid-out ads and other marketing materials, along with tactics to increase donations, memberships, attendance, etc. I would estimate I spent over 50 hours preparing for this spec presentation. (Without any compensation for the ideas/work.)

Then I presented my campaign to a large group of over a dozen people. Then following that took part in a "group" interview where 8 people asked me questions. Afterwards, I was told two people would be chosen to return to meet with the HR director and a VP. I waited for over 3 weeks while I was informed about changes to the process and delays. Eventually, I asked how for an update and that's when I was told someone had been offered the position.

There were people in the interview process who, I think, were not qualified to judge my work. Felt like a very dysfunctional group, with lots of duplication of effort and some positions that were entirely unnecessary.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Just too many people asking them.   Answer Question

Visitor Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Chicago History Museum in September 2011.

A very long process. The whole thing takes a month though, it's a lower mid level job. 2interviews and then one with some department heads.

Interview Questions
    • I already worked there so it was mostly about the work I had already done.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.