Chicago

Updated Aug 8, 2014
Updated Aug 8, 2014

2.3

Rather Not Say Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Chicago.

Had to get on the list of qualified employees and wait for name to be called. However, this was years ago and now it is done online.

Interview Questions
    • It was not difficult, as I had all of the skills they were seeking.   Answer Question
    Salaries are set by union contracts, so it was already set and not open to haggling.

Public Service Intern Interview

Formal Procedure

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chicago in September 2012.

Was e-mailed to come in for an interview. Spoke on past experiences, personal life background, and academic life. Was offered job on the spot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chicago in August 2012.

I was found from my college career center job/internship board. We went over my writing sample and discussed previous job/volunteer experience as well as senior thesis background.

Interview Questions
    I was offered the position on the spot and took it.

Aldermanic Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chicago in May 2012.

I did not have an interview process. Those who get these positions are based on recommendations by the Alderman. Though, some people do apply formally, most who received the position knew the Alderman or someone in the office who recommended and/or referred them.

Deputy Commissioner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Chicago in December 2010.

Good. Position is "At Will" so hiring process was simple. My boss referred me to the hiring manager and gave him my resume. I later called him to confirm my interest. I later received a call to come in for an interview. I had one initial and another with the chief executive and his staff. I was later contacted with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about how I would handle difficult people. The reason was due to Union issues that I found out about after taking the position.   View Answer
    I was offer two positions and given the ability to choose which one I wanted. This conversation was held as a conference call with both hiring executives on the phone at the same time. I had never had that happen to me.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Chicago in August 2010.

Apply at City Hall through online application. Interview is based on behavioral based question.
    Requires a City residence

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chicago in January 2009.

The focus was on the skills and idea generation of ways to help the CDPH in terms of allocating its personnel effectively. This was a series of talks with a few of the directors to really know my competency and what I could offer. Even for a volunteer position, they were very serious about bringing people in with solutions.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations done (volunteer)

Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chicago in February 2007.

Being a city government the process is very slow and very long. Applied online and received a call from the recruiter. I requested for a phone interview which otherwise is not done as a regular practice. After the phone interview which was more like information exchange had the actual interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was with a Group. You will doing alot of paperwork as they need alot of information about you and past jobs, etc. One of the conditions is to live in the city during your tenure as an employee. After the group interview had another personal interview 1:1 more about work culture and environment etc. Very thorough back ground check including criminal, academics, references, etc.

Laid back atmosphere and lack of motivation says it all why things dont move in government. More stress on finger pointing than issue resolution and lack of ownership/responsibility.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you will adjust in Government entity especially if not coming from Government organization?   Answer Question
    Unfortunately the salary is nearly non-negotiable sue to strict government guidelines. But if you are intelligent you can negotiate paid time-off. No work from home policy. No bonus but you save on state taxes.

Policy Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Chicago.

Position is basically what title says. I worked in city hall as an intern focusing on policy. Mainly economic and zoning policy. The interview process is not a traditional one, rather one where the people actually engage in conversation with you through which they will gauge your interest.

No negotiation needed.