Chicago

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Aldermanic Intern

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chicago in May 2012.

Interview Details – I did not have an interview process. Those who get these positions are based on recommendations by the Alderman. Though, some people do apply formally, most who received the position knew the Alderman or someone in the office who recommended and/or referred them.

Interview Question – Not applicable.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Rather Not Say Interview

Rather Not Say

I applied through other source and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Chicago.

Interview Details – Had to get on the list of qualified employees and wait for name to be called. However, this was years ago and now it is done online.

Interview Question – It was not difficult, as I had all of the skills they were seeking.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salaries are set by union contracts, so it was already set and not open to haggling.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chicago in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was found from my college career center job/internship board. We went over my writing sample and discussed previous job/volunteer experience as well as senior thesis background.

Interview Question – Why are you qualified for the position   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position on the spot and took it.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chicago in September 2012.

Interview Details – Was e-mailed to come in for an interview. Spoke on past experiences, personal life background, and academic life. Was offered job on the spot.

Interview Question – Describe your senior thesis.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Chicago in August 2010.

Interview Details – Apply at City Hall through online application. Interview is based on behavioral based question.
Requires a City residence

Interview Question – Very standard questions   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Chicago in January 2009.

Interview Details – The focus was on the skills and idea generation of ways to help the CDPH in terms of allocating its personnel effectively. This was a series of talks with a few of the directors to really know my competency and what I could offer. Even for a volunteer position, they were very serious about bringing people in with solutions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiations done (volunteer)

Technology Interview

Technology

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chicago in February 2007.

Interview Details – Being a city government the process is very slow and very long. Applied online and received a call from the recruiter. I requested for a phone interview which otherwise is not done as a regular practice. After the phone interview which was more like information exchange had the actual interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was with a Group. You will doing alot of paperwork as they need alot of information about you and past jobs, etc. One of the conditions is to live in the city during your tenure as an employee. After the group interview had another personal interview 1:1 more about work culture and environment etc. Very thorough back ground check including criminal, academics, references, etc.

Laid back atmosphere and lack of motivation says it all why things dont move in government. More stress on finger pointing than issue resolution and lack of ownership/responsibility.

Interview Question – How do you think you will adjust in Government entity especially if not coming from Government organization?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unfortunately the salary is nearly non-negotiable sue to strict government guidelines. But if you are intelligent you can negotiate paid time-off. No work from home policy. No bonus but you save on state taxes.

Policy Intern Interview

Policy Intern

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Chicago.

Interview Details – Position is basically what title says. I worked in city hall as an intern focusing on policy. Mainly economic and zoning policy. The interview process is not a traditional one, rather one where the people actually engage in conversation with you through which they will gauge your interest.

Interview Question – What would you change about the city?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed.

Business Consultant Interview

Business Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Chicago.

Interview Details – A very structured and by the book process. Expect a very long selection process time from submitting the job application online to receiving a job offer.

Interview Question – Situational questions   Answer Question

Worked for Chicago? Contribute to the Community!