Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 19, 2015

Special Education Classroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I was called by the assistant principle to interview, when I arrived I was interviewed by assistant principle and the social worker. The interview lasted for about 30-40 minutes. There were perhaps 3-5 questions asked by the interviewers and I asked an additional 5 or 6 questions. It was very helpful to have thought through questions that I wanted answered and questions that were also somewhat open-ended that helped generate dialogue about the position and culture at the school.

Interview Questions

• Why do want to do this position? Strengths and weakness? What is a professional?   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Took about a month to get a response via email. I interviewed with 3 different people and the interview was 2 hours long. They were on a tight schedule, so punctuality is especially important for this company. I had a positive experience, and learned a lot. You have to be a Chicago resident to work for CPS.

School Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was so basic tht I almost laughed through th whole process the medical exam was a joke all they cared about was if you could se breathe and bend over

Full Time Basic Subsitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied as a substitute teacher for grades Kindergarten through 12. Application at the time was given at the Chicago Board of Education. Had to have a college degree and proof. Transcripts from colleges attended and grade point average. An updated physical examination was required and proof of TB test . Your application was sent to Springfield, Ill and you had to pay $10.00 so that a background check could be taken. Once the results were completed a counselor would call you and you'd make an appointment to get your picture ID taken. Once this was done you waited to be called for an assignment.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle behavioral problems that you may encounter ?   1 Answer

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

Very Lengthy process. Had 2 interviews to start, one of which was a group interview that lasted almost 4 hours. After group interview then there were short individual interviews. Following the interviews, I was called in to teach a sample lesson to summer school students. Once I completed my teaching lesson, I was then called back for another interview.

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied for this job online and I was asked basic questions about my teaching philosophy. The main question was "do you have good classroom management" then questions about how I would react in different scenarios. My guess is that they want to be sure that I am cut out to handle the many discipline problems that exist in the schools

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. You are payed what that position says you will make. The salary is what it is.

Assistant Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Most administrative jobs in CPS are "because you know someone". It is that simple, unfortunately. Join organizations, network, get involved in projects.

Interview Questions

• What will you do to improve test scores? Everyone that asks this has a different idea as to the correct answer. Just say you will analyze the data and make instructional changes based on it.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Showing my principal that I was able to confidently work with people and handle projects beyond basic teaching duties.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

This is, by far, the strangest interview experience I have ever had. Poor organization and communication between the staff throughout the entire experience, with the exception of the emails with HR prior to the interview to set up an interview time/date (prompt replies). After the email, everything else is puzzling including being told in my email to sign in at reception and report to the 2nd floor, where I found myself in a big, empty room with classroom desks and a few unmanned computers. There is a closed door leading to personnel cubicles and offices which I and another confused candidate needed to figure out to barge in and go hunt for the person who we were told in the email to ask for. Once the person was found, I was brought to my first interview out of an unknown amount of interviews because the email confirmation did not state anything beyond where to report to and at what time. My first interviewer had the wrong resume and person recalled when he came to greet me, and I'm still wondering if I was accidentally called in instead of this candidate as I had to furnish my resume and get him up to speed with who I was and all about my background. After this interview, I was asked if I was supposed to meet with anyone else. I told him I only knew the email mentioned, non-specifically, that I'd be meeting with a "team." This person ventured a guess and I was brought to a new floor and then to a hallway of doors, one of which was open to an office area. I was left being told "I'm pretty sure the HR person you were supposed to meet with is in this office" and left me to fend for my next steps. I found this person, also unsure who I was meeting with next, who brought me to another new floor of offices and left me with the receptionist, who was told to check with a particular person as to whether or not he was to meet with me-- once he got out of his meeting. I waited with the receptionist for another few minutes and then was told to follow a new mystery person to an office, where I eventually met with the second and last of my interviews. The questions, overall from both staffers, were easy and typical analyst interview questions-- but my memory is not recalling anything significant as by the point of my second interview I had already lost interest in the position. My last impression was shaking hands with my second interviewer and being told "I'm pretty sure I'm the last person you're meeting with," before he left me with the receptionist-- uncertain as well-- and guessing I was done for the day. I left, still not knowing both if I was the right candidate booked for the interview and if I was supposed to meet with someone else. Overall, I really hope that future candidates receive a better welcoming and altogether organizational effort.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Shortly after submitting an application, I was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview. I was told that I would be notified within 1 week of a hiring decision. Within 1 week, I was offered a position by email. The Onboarding process (background check, TB test, etc.) took about 2weeks.

IB Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

5 Interviews with different people from the building and district. I had to take each of these times off of my current job at the time so that I could meet with all of them. But it ended up being worth it because I got the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle teaches who don't want to do the work they are expected to do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None