Chicago Public Schools

Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago Public School Interview

Chicago Public School
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was given an interview date after responding to a listing for a Spanish teacher. It was a group interview with several teachers, students, and included a portion in which I viewed a video of a classroom lesson and was asked to evaluate it. The principal and department heads were not in attendance.

A lot of emphasis was put on the students' impressions and opinions. It was brief, and I was given no chance to talk to staff without the students in the room. The questions were basic, and while I clarified a few times a misunderstanding on my background, it was continued to be referred to incorrectly.I was told the school wanted to create a dual position for me based on the fact that I am endorsed for English Lit and Spanish.

A week after the interview, I was told I not been chosen for the position because of my lack of experience with high needs student, even though that was the part of my application I had attempted to clarify. The next week I saw that the job posting had been revised to reflect my resume, asking for a dual English Lit, Spanish as a new language teacher to teach a dual position.

I emailed the principal to inquire why I was passed over for the position, and then the posting had been revised to reflect my resume. She said she would speak to the interviewers, and I was offered the position the next week.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for salary.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in February 2014.

Interview Details – This is, by far, the strangest interview experience I have ever had. Poor organization and communication between the staff throughout the entire experience, with the exception of the emails with HR prior to the interview to set up an interview time/date (prompt replies). After the email, everything else is puzzling including being told in my email to sign in at reception and report to the 2nd floor, where I found myself in a big, empty room with classroom desks and a few unmanned computers. There is a closed door leading to personnel cubicles and offices which I and another confused candidate needed to figure out to barge in and go hunt for the person who we were told in the email to ask for. Once the person was found, I was brought to my first interview out of an unknown amount of interviews because the email confirmation did not state anything beyond where to report to and at what time. My first interviewer had the wrong resume and person recalled when he came to greet me, and I'm still wondering if I was accidentally called in instead of this candidate as I had to furnish my resume and get him up to speed with who I was and all about my background. After this interview, I was asked if I was supposed to meet with anyone else. I told him I only knew the email mentioned, non-specifically, that I'd be meeting with a "team." This person ventured a guess and I was brought to a new floor and then to a hallway of doors, one of which was open to an office area. I was left being told "I'm pretty sure the HR person you were supposed to meet with is in this office" and left me to fend for my next steps. I found this person, also unsure who I was meeting with next, who brought me to another new floor of offices and left me with the receptionist, who was told to check with a particular person as to whether or not he was to meet with me-- once he got out of his meeting. I waited with the receptionist for another few minutes and then was told to follow a new mystery person to an office, where I eventually met with the second and last of my interviews. The questions, overall from both staffers, were easy and typical analyst interview questions-- but my memory is not recalling anything significant as by the point of my second interview I had already lost interest in the position. My last impression was shaking hands with my second interviewer and being told "I'm pretty sure I'm the last person you're meeting with," before he left me with the receptionist-- uncertain as well-- and guessing I was done for the day. I left, still not knowing both if I was the right candidate booked for the interview and if I was supposed to meet with someone else. Overall, I really hope that future candidates receive a better welcoming and altogether organizational effort.

Interview Question – What do you see yourself doing 5 years from now?   Answer Question

Teacher Assistant Interview

Teacher Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online and I was asked basic questions about my teaching philosophy. The main question was "do you have good classroom management" then questions about how I would react in different scenarios. My guess is that they want to be sure that I am cut out to handle the many discipline problems that exist in the schools

Interview Question – Nothing difficult in my opinion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You are payed what that position says you will make. The salary is what it is.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Principal Interview

Assistant Principal
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – Most administrative jobs in CPS are "because you know someone". It is that simple, unfortunately. Join organizations, network, get involved in projects.

Interview Question – What will you do to improve test scores? Everyone that asks this has a different idea as to the correct answer. Just say you will analyze the data and make instructional changes based on it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Showing my principal that I was able to confidently work with people and handle projects beyond basic teaching duties.

Esp Interview

Esp
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in April 2011.

Interview Details – Directly meet with the Principal and check the cps website on Tuesdays, new positions are posted. Be Persistent and yourself at all times

Negotiation Details – Positions come with a base salary, unless you have advanced college credits

CPS Bus Aide Interview

CPS Bus Aide
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in August 2012.

Interview Details – Hired base on pass experience with AM Bus Company and also was referred by a CPS Bus Aide who noticed by work ethics.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult special needs student (disrupting other students, throwing things and spitting)?   View Answer

School Counselor Interview

School Counselor
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in June 2010.

Interview Details – It is all who you know. Sorry. It does not matter if you are qualified. If you have a "friend" at the school, you will get hired. However-your friend will not hesitate to throw you under a bus if you do anything to displease him or her.

Interview Question – How do you feel about data; please give examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. It is standard salary base on experience.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Elementary Teacher
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applications must be submitted electronically along with job opening choices.

Interview Question – "Tell us about your teaching philosophy".   Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Substitute Teacher
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in October 2009.

Interview Details – You need to take a lot of tests, and fill out a lot of paperwork. There really isn't the amount of work there used to be on the north side of Chicago. The office personnel are very professional, and help you if you don't understand something.

Interview Question – What do you do if the teacher left no lesson plans, and you have puzzles, but need copies, but they only allow regular teachers to make copies?   Answer Question

Special Education Teacher Interview

Special Education Teacher
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in August 2010.

Interview Details – It's not what you know it's who you know...

Interview Question – What is your greatest asset you bring to our school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I took the offer...

Worked for Chicago Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!