Chicago Public Schools

Relevance Date Difficulty

Teacher Assistant Interview

Teacher Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online and I was asked basic questions about my teaching philosophy. The main question was "do you have good classroom management" then questions about how I would react in different scenarios. My guess is that they want to be sure that I am cut out to handle the many discipline problems that exist in the schools

Interview Question – Nothing difficult in my opinion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You are payed what that position says you will make. The salary is what it is.

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Principal Interview

Assistant Principal
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – Most administrative jobs in CPS are "because you know someone". It is that simple, unfortunately. Join organizations, network, get involved in projects.

Interview Question – What will you do to improve test scores? Everyone that asks this has a different idea as to the correct answer. Just say you will analyze the data and make instructional changes based on it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Showing my principal that I was able to confidently work with people and handle projects beyond basic teaching duties.

Communications Interview

Communications

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – They take close to a month to two months before you can (supposedly) start. Numerous interviews. They offer you a job and make you believe a job offer letter is coming from HR, which never comes. So you have to keep at them, but then they become so disorganized in that HR department that your job offer letter gets lost. Then they make you do more re-interviews for a job you already got. So be careful before you leave your job to enter a job from CPS. They revoke and put holds on positions. They screwed me over bad. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Interview Question – What is CPS? (Seriously)   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Substitute Teacher Interview

Substitute Teacher

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – I attended a "rotational" interview where I, along with many others, were called upon one at a time to interview with a random principal of a Chicago Public School. Based upon their opinion, I was accepted into the "quality teacher pool." I also had to answer a number of questions on the telephone to also qualify.

Interview Question – "What exactly will your classroom look like if I were to walk into it at any time of the school day"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Esp Interview

Esp
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in April 2011.

Interview Details – Directly meet with the Principal and check the cps website on Tuesdays, new positions are posted. Be Persistent and yourself at all times

Negotiation Details – Positions come with a base salary, unless you have advanced college credits

CPS Bus Aide Interview

CPS Bus Aide
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in August 2012.

Interview Details – Hired base on pass experience with AM Bus Company and also was referred by a CPS Bus Aide who noticed by work ethics.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult special needs student (disrupting other students, throwing things and spitting)?   View Answer

School Counselor Interview

School Counselor
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in June 2010.

Interview Details – It is all who you know. Sorry. It does not matter if you are qualified. If you have a "friend" at the school, you will get hired. However-your friend will not hesitate to throw you under a bus if you do anything to displease him or her.

Interview Question – How do you feel about data; please give examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. It is standard salary base on experience.

Junior IT Analyst Interview

Junior IT Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – The interview process was simple yet very unorganized at first. Overall if you study the position requirements and know your own work history well, you will be fine.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Chicago Public Schools? How are you differ from our other applicants in that regard?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, came as is. You either accepted or rejected.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Elementary Teacher
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applications must be submitted electronically along with job opening choices.

Interview Question – "Tell us about your teaching philosophy".   Answer Question

Math Teacher Interview

Math Teacher

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview Details – 1 interview with principal and assistant principal. All application information submitted on-line.

Negotiation Details – Salary schedule

Interviews for Top Jobs at Chicago Public Schools

Worked for Chicago Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chicago Public Schools interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Chicago Public Schools employees and interview candidates.