Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

Teacher Interview

Varies dramatically based on school. Some principals have different interview processes, ranging from group interviews to sample lesson. Make sure you are prepared and your lesson is very clear and you assess the student's knowledge from your lesson. Also in group interviews, be positive and work with other teachers to be solution oriented.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle challenging behavior management situations?   Answer Question

College Counselor Interview

I met with several administrative staff , it took a while for me to get a interview because cps is so political it's based on who you know . Just be yourself !

Interview Questions
    • The questions where basic ,

How well do you work with a team .
      How would you deal with a principal if you didn't see eye to eye ?

Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Took about a month to get a response via email. I interviewed with 3 different people and the interview was 2 hours long. They were on a tight schedule, so punctuality is especially important for this company. I had a positive experience, and learned a lot. You have to be a Chicago resident to work for CPS.

School Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

It was so basic tht I almost laughed through th whole process the medical exam was a joke all they cared about was if you could se breathe and bend over

Full Time Basic Subsitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Applied as a substitute teacher for grades Kindergarten through 12. Application at the time was given at the Chicago Board of Education. Had to have a college degree and proof. Transcripts from colleges attended and grade point average. An updated physical examination was required and proof of TB test . Your application was sent to Springfield, Ill and you had to pay $10.00 so that a background check could be taken. Once the results were completed a counselor would call you and you'd make an appointment to get your picture ID taken. Once this was done you waited to be called for an assignment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle behavioral problems that you may encounter ?   View Answer

Middle School Teacher Interview

Some schools will ask you to do a mock lesson - mine did. It was about 15 minutes long and we debriefed after the lesson. I was asked about my previous experience and my views on their curriculum. I was also asked to discuss why I was leaving my current position. The interview was pretty low-key although the questions were designed to identify a certain type of teacher.

Interview Questions
    • Were the students' errors due to difficulty in decoding or comprehension?   Answer Question

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

I applied for this job online and I was asked basic questions about my teaching philosophy. The main question was "do you have good classroom management" then questions about how I would react in different scenarios. My guess is that they want to be sure that I am cut out to handle the many discipline problems that exist in the schools

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. You are payed what that position says you will make. The salary is what it is.

Assistant Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Most administrative jobs in CPS are "because you know someone". It is that simple, unfortunately. Join organizations, network, get involved in projects.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do to improve test scores? Everyone that asks this has a different idea as to the correct answer. Just say you will analyze the data and make instructional changes based on it.   View Answer
    Showing my principal that I was able to confidently work with people and handle projects beyond basic teaching duties.

Communications Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

They take close to a month to two months before you can (supposedly) start. Numerous interviews. They offer you a job and make you believe a job offer letter is coming from HR, which never comes. So you have to keep at them, but then they become so disorganized in that HR department that your job offer letter gets lost. Then they make you do more re-interviews for a job you already got. So be careful before you leave your job to enter a job from CPS. They revoke and put holds on positions. They screwed me over bad. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Substitute Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

I attended a "rotational" interview where I, along with many others, were called upon one at a time to interview with a random principal of a Chicago Public School. Based upon their opinion, I was accepted into the "quality teacher pool." I also had to answer a number of questions on the telephone to also qualify.

Interview Questions
    • "What exactly will your classroom look like if I were to walk into it at any time of the school day"?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.