Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools STEM School Program Manager Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

STEM School Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter via email to move to the next step in the interview process. After acknowledging I was still interested in the position I was given a homework assignment with unclear and directions and permission to contact the recruiter if I had any questions. I contacted the recruiter and proceeded to ask questions that would clear up any misconceptions regarding the unclear instructions. After the recruiter realized she was contradicting the written instructions she apologized and informed me that she will not answer any questions regarding the assignment. I was instructed to do what I thought was best.

After submitting the assignment I was instructed to bring five (5) copies of the completed assignment along with five (5) copies of my cover letter and resume to a group interview. I attended the group interview where there were over twenty people being interviewed for four (4) positions. We participated in various group activities including brainstorming and presentations followed by preparing an individual writing sample.

Finally, we were called one by one to meet with one of the four administrator teams for a face to face interview.

The entire process took several hours and no one ever asked me for my resume or assignment.

The next day I was contacted via email to participate in a second interview.

Interview Questions
  • As the program manager you will be expected to handle discipline, manage after school programs, meet with parents, mediate student and teacher conflict, and perform all of the duties of a typical program manager that we previously discussed. How would you manage your time to get everything done?   View Answer

I decided not to work in a place where the people responsible for my evaluation 1.) Have no idea what my job should look like, 2.) Set unrealistic goals, 3.) Waste time on tasks that do not improve processes, and 4.) Unconcerned with maintaining a balanced prospective (ex. there is life after work and both should be considered before infringing on people's time). In addition, it is important that my supervisor understand that the best way to establish cooperative teams is to garner support through mutual respect. I did not feel that my role would be respected and know I would have been put in a position to fulfill time consuming unrelated task at the expense of slacking on my primary job duties for which I would be held accountable and evaluated.