Chicago Retail Solutions

1.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Chicago Retail Solutions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Management Training Program Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chicago Retail Solutions in May 2012.

Usually, a day or two after you apply, you will be told via email that you were selected from a large group due to be interviewed - a preliminary interview. You're supposed to call to schedule the interview, but if you don't call within a couple of hours, they will call you. The interview will be scheduled to be as soon as possible.

When you arrive at the interview, you'll find multiple people booked to the same time slot. On my arrival, there were 12 people waiting to be interviewed. Seems like everybody gets selected. Even though you send your resume when applying, they'll ask for it again. Then you'll wait, likely well beyond your interview time. I was finally called in an hour after my scheduled interview time. My interviewer was actually walking around and chatting with the receptionist for 10 minutes or so before I was called in.

Once in the preliminary interview, you realize it's not really an interview. They're just going to tell you what they do, and what they expect. That's it. Could just as easily make this information available over email or the phone. Then, once again, they'll tell you that if you are selected, you would come in for a second interview. Don't worry, you'll be selected.

The second interview takes place on location, usually a retail store. I don't know if this happens with everyone, but that's how it was for me. Maybe my interviewer just couldn't find another time to schedule me. You'll receive a general overview of the job once again. They'll ask a few questions that would be expected in a freshman level business course. In my interview, I was unable to ask some of the questions I had, and the ones I did get a chance to ask were given canned responses. Generally, they try to sell you by assuring you the compensation is great, and you will be promoted very quickly.

If they like you at the end of this, you'll be given a job offer and they will essentially try to start you the next day. I'm not sure how many people they take on, but these job postings seem to pop up every couple of weeks, claiming to need half a dozen new hires.

Interview Questions
  • Are you comfortable managing 10-12 people?   View Answer

The wait at the preliminary interview came across as very unprofessional. The interest in you as a person is nonexistent. I tried to make it clear that salary and commission are not my driving factors when accepting a position. These seemed to go in one ear and out the other, as they kept assuring me I would be well compensated for my performance. It kept sounding like a glorified pyramid scheme, and I just could not see myself working there more than 2-3 months, while never really enjoying my work.