Chicago Trading Company Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview on campus - first round. There were some quick mental math questions, some questions about trading, and about my interest in market making. I didn't have many good answers for these questions and honestly wish I was more prepared. Also I'd recommend that you brush up on mental math before going into the interview. Review probability, expectations, multiplication, basic stuff that they test you on.

Trading Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company.

Interview

The interview was conducted throughout 2 days. They flew us in Friday night to tour the Chicago Board of Trade and the office at CTC. In the evening, we got to socialize with CTC employees through dinner at a fancy restaurant, everything paid for. The CTC employees bore genuine interest in each candidate and the main agenda was just to have fun. During the "Super Saturday", we went through 6 30-minute interviews, 1 excel case, and 1 trading simulation game. Typical propshop and behavioral questions during interview, excel case required some experience with excel, trading simulation game was just a simulation of the trading floor. Familiarize yourself with buy/ask and EVs.

Interview Questions

• Based on your experience, what would be one thing that you think will be tough for you if you get this internship   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter at campus career fair, answered several questions about basic data structures and their running time such as linked-lists and arrays, and hash tables. Then comes an on-campus interview, held by the schools's career service. After that I haven't heard from them for like 2 or 3 weeks. Sent a mail to ask about the interview result, the recruiter told me that I was put on wait-list.

Interview Questions

• To implement a program that manages the prices of stocks. How to calculate a power of integer without using loops.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and interviewed on campus. The interviewer DID NOT pay any attention. I sensed this the first moment I met him. He was extremely tired. He complained the interview right after lunch was the hardest because ... When I started coding, he was looking away. I do not know the reason. Unlike companies I interviewed before, he did not ask any follow-up questions. Overall, no attention. Rejection came after noon. It was a funny experience.

Interview Questions

• Put and get most recent stock price in a data structure.   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied through campus career service. They came to campus for one face to face interview. Then was invited into one day on-site interview. The people in the company are really nice and easy going. They divided whole day interview into half. One part is doing some written exams and another part is a face to face interview with different person in company.

Interview Questions

• They tested something like GRE verbal, like what is the word has the same or opposite meaning of the given word. I still do not quite understand why they test something like that.   Answer Question

Trading Assistant/Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

NOTE: Changed the interview process a bit, old reviews may be outdated First round - behavioral mostly (phone interview for me). I was expecting more technical questions, but the interviewer implied that they changed their interview process to make it more behavior-centric given a string of "personality mismatches" Second round - weird super day. Interviews were about 75% oddball questions, 20% behavioral, maybe 5% technical/mathy. Oddball example: what's your favorite room of your house and why? I guess these qualify as behavioral, but most were general assessment of how to think on your feet. Had 6 interviews in total. They were conversational rather than the usual interrogation type. Felt like they were trying to figure out if I was the kind of guy they would have a drink with, but also could think. I had prepped a lot of technical/quant stuff, so I was actually really thrown off and didn't perform optimally. There was also some other stuff (beside interviews) including: excel assignment, test, etc. The test was basically an SAT, so you can't really prep. It was easy though. Excel was a joke.. like all you have to do is add numbers and possibly make one chart (depends on the prompt). The HR also said nothing matters nearly as much as interviews. Also: A near direct quotation from one interview is that they didn't want someone knowledgeable about options/finance because knowledge comes with bias. They liked individuals who could think and fit in.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite TV show; why? What's your dream job? What DON'T you like about CTC? If ___ Trading (I can't remember, maybe Spot or some other prop shop) offered you 50k more per year, would you leave; why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

First round phone interview - a few behavioral questions, majority of the interview was mental math with large numbers, fractions to decimals and brainteaser/probability questions. Second round is super day at their Chicago office. They fly you to location and put you in a hotel. More technical questions expected, a series of half hour one-on-one interviews, Excel case study, mock trading game, tour of office, etc.

Interview Questions

• What angle does that clock make at 4:15? If you have 100 red and white marbles and had to place them in two separate jars - how would you distribute the marbles to give you the highest chance (EV) of getting a red marble when you are blindfolded? You have to use all the marbles.   1 Answer

Financial Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

On-campus interview for the first round, then offered an onsite interview in Chicago. First day was a visit to Trading Floor and a dinner with employees. Second day was the superday, including an Excel Test, Intelligent Test, Mock trading in first half, and six half-hour individual interviews in the second half day.

Interview Questions

• Nice people and nice place to work. While trading firm prefers to hire the people in accordance to the company's culture. Among all the interviews, only one of them was technical based and another one for programming experience. Also the test problems were not highly related to traditional quant questions. Too much about behavior... Still wonder how they evaluated the candidates.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company.

Interview

Had 2 rounds. First one was technical and second was code review. In first round, Questions asked on cache, threading, memory layout of array and linked list.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Initial interview through campus recruiting, mostly mental math and brainteasers. Next there was a rigorous two day onsite interview which consisted of everything from programming tests, aptitude tests, mock trading and 6 individual interviews. Very competitive process in which nearly every applicant was from an engineering, cs, or math background.