Chicago Trading Company Interview Questions & Reviews

22 interviews

3.6

Financial Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in November 2013.

On-campus interview for the first round, then offered an onsite interview in Chicago. First day was a visit to Trading Floor and a dinner with employees. Second day was the superday, including an Excel Test, Intelligent Test, Mock trading in first half, and six half-hour individual interviews in the second half day.

Interview Questions
    • Nice people and nice place to work. While trading firm prefers to hire the people in accordance to the company's culture. Among all the interviews, only one of them was technical based and another one for programming experience. Also the test problems were not highly related to traditional quant questions. Too much about behavior... Still wonder how they evaluated the candidates.   Answer Question

Sosrware Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in December 2010.

got there through a recruiter: had a 30 min phone interview with a hiring manager, after got an onsite interview with multiple people including developers on different levels and an IT manager at director level, in general the difficulty of the technical questions used to be below avarage comparing to other financial companies hiring for similar positions

Interview Questions
    • Can you override static method in Java?   View Answer
    There was no much negotiation involved

Trading Assistant/Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in February 2014.

NOTE: Changed the interview process a bit, old reviews may be outdated

First round - behavioral mostly (phone interview for me). I was expecting more technical questions, but the interviewer implied that they changed their interview process to make it more behavior-centric given a string of "personality mismatches"

Second round - weird super day. Interviews were about 75% oddball questions, 20% behavioral, maybe 5% technical/mathy. Oddball example: what's your favorite room of your house and why? I guess these qualify as behavioral, but most were general assessment of how to think on your feet. Had 6 interviews in total. They were conversational rather than the usual interrogation type. Felt like they were trying to figure out if I was the kind of guy they would have a drink with, but also could think. I had prepped a lot of technical/quant stuff, so I was actually really thrown off and didn't perform optimally. There was also some other stuff (beside interviews) including: excel assignment, test, etc. The test was basically an SAT, so you can't really prep. It was easy though. Excel was a joke.. like all you have to do is add numbers and possibly make one chart (depends on the prompt). The HR also said nothing matters nearly as much as interviews.

Also: A near direct quotation from one interview is that they didn't want someone knowledgeable about options/finance because knowledge comes with bias. They liked individuals who could think and fit in.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite TV show; why?

What's your dream job?

What DON'T you like about CTC?

If ___ Trading (I can't remember, maybe Spot or some other prop shop) offered you 50k more per year, would you leave; why?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in October 2013.

Initial interview through campus recruiting, mostly mental math and brainteasers. Next there was a rigorous two day onsite interview which consisted of everything from programming tests, aptitude tests, mock trading and 6 individual interviews. Very competitive process in which nearly every applicant was from an engineering, cs, or math background.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in February 2014.

First round phone interview - a few behavioral questions, majority of the interview was mental math with large numbers, fractions to decimals and brainteaser/probability questions.

Second round is super day at their Chicago office. They fly you to location and put you in a hotel. More technical questions expected, a series of half hour one-on-one interviews, Excel case study, mock trading game, tour of office, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What angle does that clock make at 4:15?
      If you have 100 red and white marbles and had to place them in two separate jars - how would you distribute the marbles to give you the highest chance (EV) of getting a red marble when you are blindfolded? You have to use all the marbles.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company.

Had 2 rounds. First one was technical and second was code review. In first round, Questions asked on cache, threading, memory layout of array and linked list.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in January 2013.

Applied through college career center. Heard back a week later. Interview was in person, and my interviewee was extremely nice. Interview was entirely math/stat. Was one of two people out of thirteen selected from school to attend final round in chicago. There were six interviews in the morning with a case study and mock trading game in the afternoon. Interviews were mix of fit and technical.

Interview Questions
    • EV of six sided die. EV of six sided die with two rolls. Mental math questions. Probability questions. Bayes statistics questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in December 2010.

Got an interview through college recruitment in a target school. Typical trading interview on par with the others. I botched a couple easy questions so didn't receive an offer. The interviewer was friendly and helped me along with the questions I screwed up on. This was my first trading interview so didn't know what to expect but after going on a few others it was quite standard and not super difficult. I believe there is another round of interviewing I never made it to

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Chicago Trading Company in February 2012.

You have a scale and 8 balls, and one ball is lighter than others. How many time at least you have to scale out the lighter one?
    A 10*10*10 cube has red color over its serface. If it's smashed into 1000 small cubes, how many have no color on?

Interview Questions
    • The question of calculate expectation is rather hard to understand   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

First round interview, some very basic mental math problem like 2 digit multiplications and some brain teasing questions. Didn't ask any behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Roll a fair dice, if it's a prime number, you pay me that number times $100, if it's not a prime number, I pay you that number times $100. Consider 1 as a prime number. How much willing to pay to play this game.   View Answers (5)

Worked for Chicago Trading Company? Contribute to the Community!