Chicago Transit Authority

Updated Aug 10, 2014
Updated Aug 10, 2014

3.4

Labor Relations Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority in July 2014.

I applied for the position and the first interview was scheduled fairly quicky, within approximately two weeks of submission. I was given several time slots to select from, which is standard, and I was called for the interview on time. The first interview went fairly well. It was a telephone interview with two people asking standard questions (i.e. tell me about a time when ... tell me about your experience doing ...). We spent a lot of time discussing my current job because it was in a related area to the position that I was applying for. There was not a lot that was unexpected from the interview questions. The only real concern from the first interview was that it was an out of town position and the interviewer seemed to have discovered, JUST prior to calling where I lived. That information is at the top of my resume.

I hoped for a second interview and received the call to schedule it about 4 or 5 days later. It went downhill from there. The person that called only identified himself as calling from the company and said that he wanted to schedule me for a second interview two days later just after 9:00 am. Since I am currently working and had a meeting scheduled with my department heads at that time, I asked if there were any other times available. He had none. He said that he would check and let me know that day so I offered him my available windows during that day in hopes that there would be some cross match. I didn't receive a return call. The following day, I emailed the person that scheduled the first interview, gave a brief summary of what occurred, and asked if she had any information about scheduling the second interview. I never received a response or a return telephone call. I was incredibly suprised about this because it was clear from my resume and the first interview that I had a job, which I thought would mean there would be the most basic flexibility in scheduling subsequent interviews

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were fairly standard interview questions about job experiences and specific incidents to allow them to guage your style of working.   Answer Question

Electrical Worker Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority.

after submitting resume it took FOREVER to get any response, they even lost my resume once, had to hound them about getting a job, interview was fairly simple and easy, written and hands on tests were pretty easy as well as long as you know what you're doing

Interview Questions
    no negotiating. each trade starts off at the same pay for everyone within that trade. you make the same as everyone else in your trade from day one. nice for the new people but can be irritating for those who have been there for several years. complacency can creep in once you get your first firsthand lesson that those who don't work as hard and those who don't know as much make the same as those who care and work hard and learn more.

Law Clerk Interview

I applied through my Law School's Career Services office and was selected for a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenging thing I had experienced during my first year at law school and how did I overcome it. I was also asked: What is your favorite law class? What can you tell us about yourself that we can't learn from your resume? Why do you want to work at CTA?   View Answers (2)

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority in May 2013.

I had one behavioral interview with the basic STAR format questions. I talked to an HR representative and my engineering manager individually for about 4-5 questions each. Both people were very friendly and personable. They mainly look for determined and involved candidates, and do not expect you to have much technical experience starting out.

Interview Questions
    • All in the "discuss a time when you had to..." format. Nothing too out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate but I am almost certain the pay is determined by your year in school and not negotiable.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority.

Applied online. The interview was a group interview

Project Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority in August 2013.

I had a phone interview with CTA recently for a Project Specialist position.The panel (two people working on the project) called me 15 minutes late to start the interview and started laughing uncontrollably during the conversation and actually hung up on me. I waited a few minutes before I called back and they said they didn't even realize the call had ended. I don't think I would want to work for CTA after this experience.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority.

I received a phone call from HR letting me know they wanted me to come in for an interview the next day. I was told I would be interviewing with a Recruiter and was given the name of the recruiter. I was uninformed that it would be a panel interview until I walked into the interview room. I sat with the HR Vice President, a Recruiter and a HR Assistant. They would each ask a question and hurriedly write down everything I said and scored my answer. The interview was a bit awkward for me while I sat there and waited for them to stop writing. It was the most gruesome hour long interview I have ever had.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had to do something you didn't want to do.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority in May 2009.

I had my phone interview after 3 weeks when I submitted my resume. In the phone interview, there were some general questions about my interest. Soon after that, I got a phone call from the HR for an onsite interview. I met with the manager of the section later I worked for and was interviewed with some detailed questions for about half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I was interested in a full-time job after the intern was finished. I wasn't aware of this opportunity and hadn't thought about it. So I hesitated. I guess that did not make a good impression.   View Answer

Chief Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority in November 2008.

My initial communication was a open job request, if they were hiring at the time, I was instructed to come in and take their first test, at that time and commonsense test and typing, after passing the test I was giving a pahysical, vision and hearing test, upon being hired I was instructed on how to operate the train, work as an conductor, and as a ticket agent. My advice to potential employees now would be to be honestt on the application and be drug free. The work culture is diverse and interesting, having been promoted to working in the office has allowed me to see management in a different prospective some good and some not so good

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever stolen from your employer   View Answer

Scheduling Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Chicago Transit Authority in November 2011.

Was contacted approximately 2 weeks before interview was ultimately scheduled. The Authority contacted me shortly afterwards to re-schedule, and during neither call was HR able to tell me who would be conducting the interview.

The interview was nearly 3 hours long. 1.5 hours with a very cynical management team telling me how the job was miserable and there were no resources available to them to do a *truly* good job. No questions were asked about my resume, but there were lots of vague situational questions, clearly from a stock form and not tailored to this position. The second part of the interview consisted of formulating a hypothetical transit schedule, with only minimal instruction available to the candidate. This was the most stressful part of the interview.

I was not offered the position. Because the CTA was in the midst of staffing cuts at the time, I suspected that the process of interviewing was only a required formality on their part and that no one would get the job. However, further research indicated that a candidate was indeed hired, who was over-qualified for the work in comparison with others in the same role, and had previously worked for the CTA.

Interview Questions

Worked for Chicago Transit Authority? Contribute to the Community!