Chicago Tribune

Chicago Tribune Interview Questions

1.8

Inbound Ad Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chicago Tribune in July 2013.

I applied online at the Tribune website and about 2 days later I received a call from a recruiter. There a total of two interviews that take place before an offer is given, the first is an over the phone interview basically letting the recruiter know more about you (standard questions like what are your greatest accomplishments and examples of when you gave great customer service), After the initial interview I was asked to come in for a physical interview at the Tribune tower. The second interview consisted of a spelling test (it is a bit tricky in the sense that a couple of words will have you second guessing yourself, but over all not too bad. Make sure you know your I's before E's and research commonly misspelled words). After I passed the spelling test (the second interview only happens after the spelling test portion is passed) I was then walked into a conference room where I was met by two hiring managers. The second interview overall focuses more on your customer service skills and phone etiquette ( this is an entry level position so you would have to unfortunately start here before moving up in the company). A week later I was given the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • most of the questions were standard question, be prepared to tell your greatest accomplishments and customer service experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiations the base salary, bonuses, and insurance plans all came with the offer.

Digital Design Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chicago Tribune in February 2013.

Applied online was contacted by HR representative. I did an intial phone screening that lead to an in person interview with the Editor. The interview was long but fine. The only part of the process that lacked was the HR not being responsive after the interview.

Marketing and Event Production Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chicago Tribune in September 2012.

The Interview process went fantastic. I went over my resume with the marketing and events sponsorship specialist. We spoke about what I would be doing, my skills and the office environment. Then, she had another marketing and events sponsorship specialist come in.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Everything went very well. It went amazing!   Answer Question
    It took a week for them to get to me over email. I was informed they wanted me on board as a marketing and event production intern. I accepted and went through the legal process on my first day.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chicago Tribune in February 2011.

Applied for positive via CareerBuilder site. Met with recruiter and interviewed by hiring manage who would be my supervisor. It went very well. After they checked my background they made me an offer which I accepted.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Chicago Tribune in April 2010.

It was an interview with a few managers, not too bad. You also do a typing skills test to see where you are as far as typing ability. As long as you can do about 40 words per minute you are fine. You need to be able to type quickly when people call in and want to place an advertisement.

Interview Questions
    You don't negotiate. It is what it is, take it or leave it.

Assistant Subject Editor Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Chicago Tribune in April 2007.

The phone interview was informal. They mostly asked for and checked with the 3-4 references I gave them and it seemed all of them gave me good words. It then followed with an on-site interview which was also very informal. I met with 5-6 people who were supposed to be important in the hiring process and spent the rest of the day chatting and doing lunch with a group of future co-workers in the same department. Most of them were casual chatting. The hiring manager was trying to show me how "employee friendly" the company was and I was very impressed.

The company remained "employee friendly" even after 2007 big laid off.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give me 3-4 references in your career/from schools so that I can call?   Answer Question
    • What is your previous experience in the newspaper industry?   Answer Question
    Negotiation was possible and successful.