Children's Hospital Los Angeles Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

about 17 mins three people asked me a lot of questions. About my analysis skill, hobby, kind of work environment I prefer, my strength, what question I have as so on. People are pretty nice ad we have a wonderful conversation. We used skype for the interview, sometimes because of the unstable internet, sometimes I cannot hear some words clearly. You can require them to repeat it.

Patient Experience Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was very conversational. I felt very comfortable and welcomed. I first went through two phone interviews, one with a recruiter and the other with the hiring manager. I then went through a in-person interview with recruiter, hiring manager and then the director. The overall experience was good and I felt I was treated with respect and the hiring process was fair.

Interview Questions

• Usual questions to see if your a fit for the organizational culture, then task specific questions like if you were in this situation, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

RN New Grad Interview

Interview

I applied online. I was sent an email for with attachments to print out and fill out and turn/mail in to the HR department. I got a call for a speed/screen interview. The interview is timed at ten minutes and is over on the dot. The told me I will hear back from them if selected for another interview.

Interview Questions

• Because this was a screening, they were all expected questions. I did not receive ant clinical questions.   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted an application at CHLA's website and followed up with an email to the PI. He scheduled a phone interview and then an in-person interview. The PI was extremely friendly throughout.

I was not offered the job. The PI explained that out of 25 applications, he'd picked two people to interview. Both of us had seemed fully qualified and good-natured, so it'd been a coin toss. He recalled that I'd mentioned that I was considering an offer from another lab, so he figured it wouldn't affect me.

Interview Questions

• It was all very conversational, really. Nothing harder than "do you prefer collaborative or individual work?"   1 Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

If you are a new grad RN, you will be hired into the Versant RN Residency program. A new grad includes those with less than 1.5 years of experience. The new grad program is an intense 22 week program that combines classroom lectures, skills labs, unit based classes and of course clinical hours on the unit you are hired onto. During the program you will be precepted by senior nurses on the unit in order to fulfill a number of competencies, you will also be completing a Evidence Base Project and poster which will be presented at the end of the residency, so brush up on those reserach skills! I would definitely apply for a PCSA (Patient Care Service Aide) position on the unit you are interested after your peds rotation in nursing school. Units are now looking to hire from within, by transitioning PCSAs in nursing school into the residency. Some questions in the interview: Why CHLA? Why ____ (the unit you applied for)? What are your 1 year and 5 year goals? Have you dealt with a difficult situation with coworkers or classmates, how did you deal with it? What are your professional goals? How do your peers see you, how would they describe you in three words? How do your own values align with those of CHLA?

Interview Questions

• All questions were pretty standard. They do however, ask situational questions regarding meds (Ex. cardiac meds on the cardiac units).   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was an LVN who was hired as an RN resident, so there wasn't really a negotiation phase. The base pay for residents is standard for all. PCSAs get 1% on top of the base rate, LVNs get 2% on top of the base rate. If you have a BSN you receive 0.50 more an hour, if an MSN 1.00 more an hour.

RN New Grad Interview

Interview

Prescreening interview process was very short and to the point. Asked very simple questions. Was with the unit managers for the unit you were applying for. They let you know if you had another interview very quickly. The questions were not too difficult, but not are all expected questions.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Relaxed and casual, lots of introductions. An initial phone interview (though I would be relocating from Dallas so this may not be common practice). The interview in person was based on a multiple mini interview style. The hospital is very large, I was told to arrive 15min early to find the interview location and then waited 20min for the first interview to start

Motion Lab Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.

Interview

A phone interview that was a Performance based interview

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a piece of machinery failed to operate. What did you do and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Interview

The initial screening interview occurred via phone. Basic questions pertaining to my resume - experience, skills, why I want to work for them. The in person interview lasted about 3 hours and involved the person hiring me as well as members of his staff. I had to give a power point presentation and then 3 weeks later, I was offered the position.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied to the job online and then I got an e-mail asking for a few references. I then scheduled a phone interview for a screening process and then after I passed the screening process, I was invited for a real in person interview.

I came in for the interview and the parking situation is BAD, take the metro red line if you can! I was applying in the oncology and leukemia research wing of the hospital and the head researcher interviewed me. He was really nice and all the receptionists were nice, but the first question he asked for our "interview" was do YOU have any questions about the position? I was put on the spot and I automatically had to think of what to ask, even before we had a discussion about my qualifications! After all questions were answered, he instructed me to get some references to him and he would base my qualifications off of them! I was really sad that my fate would be determined by the people who only sort of knew me and were currently on vacation. I left the building for 30 minutes because the parking structure is not very well structured at all...

One day after my "interview", I found a VERY similar job posting looking for VOLUNTEERS!!! I originally applied for the paid version of the position and so I was not offered the job.

Of course I could be wrong that this was the same posting, but I have a strong gut feeling he called my reference and my previous volunteer work was most likely mentioned, which gave the interviewer some ideas.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me? (As a first and only question)   1 Answer