Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland

Staff Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland.

Interview

More on the informal side. I got to know the lab, was showed around the facilities. We discussed previous research experience and current projects in the lab. Overall, it was a very relaxed interview.

Interview Questions

• My experience level, my comfort level with particular procedures.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland.

Interview

Got interview through school recruitment process. Interviews were very nice and friendly. Typical questions of 5-year plan and what my strengths and weaknesses are. Main pro was that they noticed I wanted to learn from different branches of CHORI and would personally set these shadowing opportunities up for me should I sign on.

Interview Questions

• Job experience, techniques on working with children with ASB, showing them my therapy knowledge   Answer Question

I moved to a different area to pursue a job in a different state.

Dietetic Assistant Interview

Interview

After applying on the Children's Hospital website, they contact you by phone to schedule an in person appointment. The interview is with two people and they ask you to first describe yourself and your background related to the job. Both interviewers had a paper with a bunch of questions that they can draw from to ask you. They asked questions like what was a goal you made and what you have done to achieve it and your availability if you are hired. There were a lot of scenario questions where they ask you what you would do when talking to a parent or patient who has called down from the patient room requesting certain menu items such as a parent requesting grapes for their child, but grapes are considered a choking hazard and not offered for the child. Another scenario was asking what you would do if lactose intolerant patient called down for scrambled eggs but the system showed that the eggs from the kitchen contain dairy. After these scenario question, they ask if you have further questions for them.

Interview Questions

• Scenario question: Patient underwent surgery and has been on a clear liquid diet but the nurse insists to send regular food to the patient before they are discharged. What would you do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed and comfortable. The series of interviews were scheduled some what far apart, due to communication issues at the facility. There were specific people that they wanted references from. They were given several references, letters of recommendation, it was a different process.

Interview Questions

• The request for specific types of references from individuals in certain positions.   1 Answer

Inability to comply with the request for specific people or people in specific positions who no longer work at the prior place of employment.

Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland (Oakland, CA).

Interview

1 interview with manager and 2 other full time interpreters with 3 scenarios and interpretation in consecutive mode.

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland (Oakland, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Standard interview process. First fill out the application online. Check to make sure you have completed all the attached forms, collect and organize all your medical records, submit the forms to the volunteers office in the Hospital on the 3rd floor, wait for an email response (typically 4-6 weeks) though I've heard they cycle through the applications so if you submit at the beginning of the cycle the process will go faster. Once contacted by the volunteer office you'll schedule an interview with the volunteer coordinator, get a background check, explain why you're interested in volunteering, what you're future career plans goals are, what part of the hospital interests you the most. You'll then rank your departments in order of interest and will be selected for a certain department. All volunteers are required to initially spend 10 hours or something like that at the art cart which is basically the outpatient center where you draw and do fun coloring activities with children instead of clinical volunteering. It still counts toward your clinical volunteer hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in volunteering at the Children's Hospital specifically and what are your career goals?   1 Answer