Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.9

Psychiatric Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

I received an invitation to an interview day via email. From there I was instructed to click on an eventbrite link to confirm which time I would like to attend. There was a morning and afternoon session. It was required that I bring either my transcript and a copy of it or my diploma and a copy of it. Additionally, an FCRA form needed to be signed along with a copy of my resume.

Five other people attended the interview day. It is imperative that you double and triple check that any tasks that are on your Dashboard on the CHOP Careers website is completed before you come. I was called into the conference room 3 different times to interview with different people. It was in a big room so at times I had a good view of other people interviewing as well. It was a little intimidating.

Five or six hours later I received an email notifying me that I was invited to continue on to the next step in the hiring process: references and a shadowing session. References are submitted via a website. Whoever you listed as references (at least 1 of 4 had to be your current or former managers), would then get an email with a link to fill out a survey about you. Your recruiter will ask you what times are best for you to come in to shadow for a 4 hour shift. You will be required to wear scrubs and comfortable sneakers and print out an evaluation form.

Exactly one week after my shadowing shift, I received a phone call with a job offer and a start date.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with a team when there are differing opinions as to how to proceed?   1 Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview

Online application, then there was a video interview with pre-recorded questions and a time limit, then a group interview, and last was a shadow day and interview after, all of if was pretty spaced out and took a long time to hear back after each step

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer team or individual work?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had a communication issue and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I applied online and was invited for a phone interview once this was completed I was invited for an in person interview I was not pleased with the assessment given upon arrival because I was not informed I would be given a calculations test on the metric system. Overall it didn't really seem as though they really had any questions.

Interview Questions

• why chop?
      tell me about yourself?
      what frustrates you in your current position?
      questions about my current job...

Answer Question

Medical Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Getting an interview at CHOP is extremely difficult. You are first required to set up an appointment for a phone interview with HR, and, if the actual hiring manager wants to talk to you, HR will call you to come for an in-person interview. After years of trying to get past the phone interview stage, I finally go t an in-person interview. I was so excited!

I spent weeks following what seemed like a successful phone interview researching the company and brushing up on my technical knowledge. Finally, on the day of my interview, I went online to read over the job description one more time. I was surprised to see that the status of the job has switched from "Open" to "Closed". I thought that they must have stopped accepting applications.

I finally got dressed up, paid train fare to get to the interview (during the middle of the work day, mind you), and finally arrived at CHOP. When I arrived at the office of the person who was supposed to interview me, he was not there, and no one knew where he was. I waited 10 minutes or so, and the second person who was scheduled to interview me came into the office and asked me to follow her to hers. There, she told me she was glad to get to opportunity to interview me first, so she could leave on time (really?). She was pleasant enough, but rushed and kept asking me really vague, soft ball questions. Not what I was expecting at all. Soon, the man who was supposed to interview me first appeared at the door, and the woman I was speaking to immediately ushered me out of the door, telling me to call with any questions--but didn't give me her business card so I could actually do so.

The interview with the man was the same--vague, rushed questions, the same invitation to call with any questions without giving me his business card. I was lead out without even being invited to see the area where I would be working if accepted.

Then, literally ON THE TRAIN RIDE HOME, I saw that I had received an email, which had been sent DURING MY INTERVIEW telling me that they had already hired someone else for the job! They had brought be in for a FAKE interview, knowing the whole time that they had no intention of hiring me. The people interviewing me must have been laughing at me behind their welcoming smiles.

This company may very well respect their patients, but they have absolutely no respect for potential employees. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know to be weary of interview offers from CHOP, as the company could just be using them as they used me.

Medical Laboratory Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Engaging and relaxed. It was not an overly stressful interview and they showed genuine enthusiasm towards me. Besides the manager, I had the opportunity to speak to several current MLS employees as well as the director.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions (why do you want the job, why do you want to work at CHOP, what are your current job responsibilities etc.) They were very interested about prior scientific research and coursework.   Answer Question

Business Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was long. I had a phone interview and did not receive a follow-up communication for the next four weeks. Went in for a face to face interview and went back for another interview with someone else. From start to finish the process took a little over two months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for CHOP? Describe a challenge you experienced at work at how you handled it.   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I applied online after receiving an employee referral. A week later I received an email to complete a recorded webcam interview on my computer which was very weird. A recruiter then emailed me a few days later to set up an in-person interview with the floor manager. After interviewing 1:1 with the floor manager I shadowed a nurse on the floor for 8hrs the following week. I got an email the next day letting me know I did not receive the job. It was a pretty quick process and I appreciated how fast they got back to me so I wasn't waiting around waiting to hear if I got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at CHOP?
      What patient did you learn the most from?
      State a time when you overcame a difficult situation.

Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview

After spending many months and countless hours applying for positions at CHOP, I can safely say that their interview process is atrocious. It is extremely impersonal and there is no one to follow up with. To be clear, I had both phone interviews and in-person interviews here. I have now given up pursuing any position here because they are not friendly and will lead you to believe you are an excellent candidate and they will be contacting you in "1-2 weeks". It never happens. Don't waste your time.

Interview Questions

• One question they ask is to describe a project you have participated in/led that you feel qualifies you for this role?   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview

They contact you via email to schedule phone interview. Phone interview is approximately 30 minutes, or seemingly shorter if they are not really interested. The go over housekeeping information with you to ensure they have all of the most up to date information. They then go through your resume discussing any lapses in employment or many of those other tid-bits HR folks are trained to pick up from a resume.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for CHOP?   Answer Question
    • Name a project you are most proud.   Answer Question
    • Are you good at other computer programs other than those we have mentioned? (this question does not include Microsoft Word, EXCEL, Access, ETC.)   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator II Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview

It was informal. I met with the attending physician I would work for and the Research Coordinator I'd be replacing. Everyone was friendly and we spent the afternoon together. I enjoyed seeing where I'd work and meet the people I'd interact with daily.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.