Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

Therapist Interview

Interviewed with several staff who asked clinical questions pertaining to development, standardized evaluations, MMT, cultural issues, and handling death of a patient.

Observed therapy session, developed goals, listed strengths and weaknesses of the patients as well as activities to develop patients skills.

No negotiation.

Clinical Staff Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in May 2014.

Phone screen, then 5 weeks of interviews with various team members. Comprehensive questions, tour of facility. All team members were friendly, honest and informative. Staff are certainly concerned about ringing the best candidate aboard to work with the children they serve.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Phone interview--This was very awkward and lasted about 20minutes. A lot of behavioral questions. Then I had an in-person interview, equally awkward. We were in a small room that could only fit a table and table two chairs. It lasted about 15minutes. Again, a lot of behavioral questions, long periods of silence and the interviewer took ALOT of notes. I left unsure of anything.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advocate for a patient who is in pain and the physician is refusing to order pain medication. Not the hardest question but one I remember.   View Answer
    This was my first job out of college. I did not negotiate.

Senior Research Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in January 2011.

Recruiter was very thorough. I had 2 phone interviews and an in person interview before even being considered by the org. She vetted me well. I finally interviewed with org, and they said their needs are very different from what the recruiter said. Anooyed because the interview was out of town and I felt I wasted my time.

Laboratory Operations Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

The interviews were quickly arranged after I applied. Three different days to complete the process; which was a lot of time away from my current job. They paid for all the parking which was very decent as parking is expensive. Everyone was wonderful, very cordial - and were willing to answer all questions. The whole day of interviews was a challenge, but everyone did everything that they could to make is as pleasant an experience as possible.

Interview Questions
    • I did not feel that there were any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Occupational Therapist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in September 2010.

Spent alot of time interviewing on phone thru HR at first then thru department head. They sent me for fingerprints and a background check which I did the SAME day as talking to HR (THATS how much I wanted this per disk job. They wanted SIX references which I thought was overkill and totally unnecessary. They wanted me in "as soon as possible" for an interview, which I accommodates despite living out of state. I was group interviewed by 3-4 OT's and was grilled on questions about spinal cord injury, ventilator dependent patients and other serious condifions - ALL of which I aced. There was little/no follow up. I had to keep calling and was quite disappointed in how they handled the post-interview phase. I was more than qualified and at one point one of them said, "That was the best answer to that question we ever had"

Interview Questions
    • What kind of function and sensation would you expect from
      A patient with a C6 spinal cordi injury.
        View Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in February 2014.

I was contacted a few days after applying online at which time an interview(in-person) was scheduled.I went and it was akward, but i was schedule for a shadow? at the same time i was sent info regarding benefits and pre-employment requirements? After shadow i was sent a reference request, all were completed within 24hrs and still no word from HR it has been 3 days now(i'm very confused as to what i should expect).

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part is they seem to infer that you may not meet the requirements(underqualified), yet you should've if they called, right?   View Answer

Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in September 2013.

There is an initial phone screening to ask about your experience and background. Next is the first interview with the lower Administration. The questions they ask are very known questions ex; so tell me about yourself, your accomplishments, your strengths and weakness. Then you get a call from HR asking you refill out the application if you did not already and complete a survey to send a email that you create for reference check and you will be ask if you want proceed on with drug test, nicotine test, child abuse test, criminal test, and to see if you have all you shots test. Also you will be asked by HR what your current salary is and you will also be asked what are you interested in making. If you made that far you get the second interview by the upper management, directors, etc. You will be asked the same questions all over again but from standpoint of seeing if your a good fit or not. You will be interviewed by each person you will be working for (5) hour’s altogether. After you’re grilled and interviewed you will then take administrative test:

Interview Questions
    • The following components will be tested throughout Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Outlook:
      •Grammatical Checks
      •Formatting Etiquette
      •Presentation Practice
      •Situation Protocol

Sample Scenario:

Chinese Consultant Group
      The group’s flight was delayed and the delegation will be arriving at 3pm as oppose to 2pm.
      Please list the steps you would take to rearrange the schedule.

Other scenario’s include
      Identifying the errors, adjusting response formats etc.
        View Answer

Privacy Specialist Interview

This was a short phone interview. The questions were standard ones. Tell me about a mistake you made and how you resolved it. Tell me about your clinical experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a task you completed that you are most proud of.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in December 2010.

Communication with HR was a constant struggle. Several weeks passed from the time of the phone interview to my in person interview. Any communication I received was only based on my initiating the contact first. On the day of my interview, the itinerary provided no detail in regards to who I should ask for when I arrived and no one seemed to be expecting me. Two of the 4 people in my first interview never showed, the other 2 arrived to work late. Overall, the people I interacted with seemed friendly, but the interview process was choppy and consisted of in person interviews and phone interviews that I did on site, which I thought was extremely strange and impersonal. After the interview, 2 weeks passed and then I was told to send in references, which I did. References and background checked and then I was informed that I wasn’t receiving an offer. Honestly, it was a complete waste of my time and I had to take 2 days off of work to participate in the process. I doubt this is the typical process for most people, but wanted to share my experience either way.

Interview Questions
    • What strengths have you relied on in your previous positions that would translate well into this role?   Answer Question

Worked for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!