Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
www.chop.edu Philadelphia, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Interview Questions & Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated May 28, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Pharmacy Technician
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied and the process took about 5 weeks. I got a call for a phone screening (interview from a recruiter) and it lasted for about 20mins. I was scheduled for an in person interview 3 weeks after. It was a panel interview and very professional. It lasted for about an hour. I did some assessment upon arrival before the interview, nothing unexpected. Everyone there was very professional and friendly.

Interview Question – Nothing expected. Why CHOP? How would you handle an aggressive patient?   Answer Question

Laboratory Operations Director Interview

Laboratory Operations Director
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview Details – The interviews were quickly arranged after I applied. Three different days to complete the process; which was a lot of time away from my current job. They paid for all the parking which was very decent as parking is expensive. Everyone was wonderful, very cordial - and were willing to answer all questions. The whole day of interviews was a challenge, but everyone did everything that they could to make is as pleasant an experience as possible.

Interview Question – I did not feel that there were any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

CRA II Interview

CRA II
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in February 2014.

Interview Details – Initial HR Phone screen- simple questions about CHOP (approx 1/2 hr.)
Department Phone Screen- same as above- more focused on clinical research experience though- just know your resume/qualifications.
In Person Interviews- 1 round- with 2 PI's and one clin research mgr. This was more detailed than the calls (1/2 hr with each person) and focused on my experiences and what I could bring to the department/CHOP.

Interview Question – None. Very straight forward interview process. Know your qualifications, know what the department does, know how you fit into that role, and you will do just fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple- they told me a range and I asked for the high end and received it.

Staff Nurse Interview

Staff Nurse
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview Details – Repeated phone calls from a number of HR people, all essentially asking for the same or advising about the same info

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview Details – Phone interview--This was very awkward and lasted about 20minutes. A lot of behavioral questions. Then I had an in-person interview, equally awkward. We were in a small room that could only fit a table and table two chairs. It lasted about 15minutes. Again, a lot of behavioral questions, long periods of silence and the interviewer took ALOT of notes. I left unsure of anything.

Interview Question – How would you advocate for a patient who is in pain and the physician is refusing to order pain medication. Not the hardest question but one I remember.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This was my first job out of college. I did not negotiate.

Research Technician II Interview

Research Technician II
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Interview Details – Phone interview first with HR, then scheduled interview with actual hiring manager/PI.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected but this ALWAYS depends on the hiring manager. Be prepared as much as possible and research the principal investigator and the work they do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Salary was grant based.

Occupational Therapist Interview

Occupational Therapist
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in September 2010.

Interview Details – Spent alot of time interviewing on phone thru HR at first then thru department head. They sent me for fingerprints and a background check which I did the SAME day as talking to HR (THATS how much I wanted this per disk job. They wanted SIX references which I thought was overkill and totally unnecessary. They wanted me in "as soon as possible" for an interview, which I accommodates despite living out of state. I was group interviewed by 3-4 OT's and was grilled on questions about spinal cord injury, ventilator dependent patients and other serious condifions - ALL of which I aced. There was little/no follow up. I had to keep calling and was quite disappointed in how they handled the post-interview phase. I was more than qualified and at one point one of them said, "That was the best answer to that question we ever had"

Interview Question – What kind of function and sensation would you expect from
A patient with a C6 spinal cordi injury.
  View Answer

Very Easy Interview

IT Interview

IT
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied Sunday night and received an email about a phone screen the next day. Wow that was fast I thought. Scheduled the phone screen for 2 days later. Lasted 15 minutes and was straight up from a list. Said I'd find out in a day if the hiring manager is interested in bringing me in.

2 weeks later I sent an email to HR, said I was still being considered.

2 weeks alter I sent another email to HR, never responded.

Then the posting mysteriously disappeared. I've heard that for their corporate offices it typically takes months to get through.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Coordinator Interview

Quality Assurance Coordinator
Philadelphia, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in January 2011.

Interview Details – Early this year, I applied for the position of Quality Control Coordinator. Granted, I didnt have two years of QA experience in a healthcare environment, but I did have 2+ years of QA experience in banking and finance. Before I continue, let me mention a few things first:

- My interview was in the Wood Center, which is in a area that's TERRIBLE for parking. The Wood Center has it's own parking area underneath, but in the mornings, it's extremely packed. So, if you have an interview there, I highly recommend you catch the bus or get dropped off.

- Secondly, the HR lady gave me horrible directions. " Just go up to the fifth floor and go to the receptionist " may seem easy to understand, but when you walk in the building, you'll quickly realize how large the place is and how they have an plethora of elevators each going to different floors.

- Finally, the people who work there aren't too helpful in pointing you in the right direction. So prepare to read a bunch of signs and stopping random people in the halls for help. ARRIVE EXTREMELY EARLY.

I digress.

As I arrived to the correct room, I had to wait in the waiting area for about twenty minutes before my interviewer actually arrived. While waiting, I looked around at the environment -- boring grays and browns, large cubicles, pictures of older people (40-65.. I'm 25) all over the clipboards. Really slow-paced.

Fortunately though, during the interview, the lady I met with was very pleasant and easy to get along with. I effortlessly answered all of the typical behavioral questions with vibrant examples of my successes in the past and made the interview more like a conversation than an interrogation.

She then dropped the bomb on me : She wasn't looking for someone with a lot of healthcare exp at all -- she was more focused on finding someone with background in billing, finance, etc..

Right up my alley on paper, but I could feel in the depths of my gut that this wasn't the place I needed to be. The place just gave off indecisive vibes to me. She told me the next step (a second interview) would come in about a month, which I didn't have time for. I desire quick, consistent, cooperation. She was incredibly perceptive and i'm sure picked up on the fact that I loss interest in the position before the interview ended.

Which is probably why I didn't get a call back. That, or because of the fact I accidentally called her a different name at the end of the interview. :) My mistake. Anyway, It's all good though. Turns out that my friend got the position instead -- and he thinks it's barely alright. =P

Salary I asked for was 38k-45k. They were comfortable with that range.

Great opportunity. Your biggest obstacle is finding out if you can adapt to a slow paced environment, filled with people at the end of their careers.

Interview Questions

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was presented to the Office of General Counsel at CHOP as a candidate for a paralegal position. The position currently consists of supporting three attorneys, but another paralegal is expected to be hired when a fourth attorney arrives in about a month. The process was pretty quick for me because someone had started the position and left after a couple of days. I was interviewed on the phone with the office manager for the Legal Dept. and the person from CHOP's Talent Acquisition department, and they asked me to come in on the Tuesday after the July 4th holiday. Things worked out well, and I am still here.

Interview Question – How do you think your experience at a law firm will fit in with an in-house legal department.?   View Answers (2)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia interview questions and advice in Philadelphia, PA. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia employees and interview candidates.