Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

Updated Aug 12, 2014

2.4

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

My interview process was unique in that I essentially went to work for a colleague who used to work for me at a previous job. I met with him and then two other senior leaders and that was about it. I did my homework as to what direction recruitment was going at CHP and I enjoyed the people that I was going to with. That was the main selling points for me.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult questions. It was pretty straightforward. They asked about my recruitment experience and how I interacted with clients/hiring managers.   Answer Question
    They offered me a lesser salary. I countered and they went for it.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

The hiring process was pretty straightforward for me. I met with TA manager and then two other senior leaders in HR (manager and director). They asked pretty simple questions around my recruitment philosophy and how I operate. They were at the same time creating a structure similar to what I had been used to as a' best practice'. So, they asked me about that as well.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult questions. Very straightforward questions on recruitment philosophy.   Answer Question
    They offered my a lower number and I declined it and countered. They then met my new salary expectation and I accepted.

RN Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

Phone interview and manager interview

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

I was contaced for a pre-screen a few days after applying. During the pre-screen I was asked very general and generic questions, went through my resume, asked about my relevant work experience, and what salary I was expecting. I didn't get a warm welcoming tone from his voice towards the end of the call so I was assuming I wouldn't be contacted for an interview. Later that day I received an email asking if I was available for an interview. I was sent materials to review pertaining to the mission, vision, and values of Childrens.

In the actual interview I was asked behavioral questions surround Childrens "PRIDE". I felt that I nailed every question and made sure to tailor each of my questions to the appropriate part of the accronym. Leaving the interview I was told they would finish up interviews that following week. After a week of no contact I emailed my interviewer to see if there was any movement with the position. His response was basically I didn't have enough experience for the position...I probably shouldn't have been chosen for an interview in the first place if this was the case. Basically, just like any major company they have to go through the formalities of "x" number of interviews before they make their choice. A waste of time for me personally.

Interview Questions
    • Is there anything about you your coworkers might find frustration?   Answer Question

Financial Management Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh in February 2012.

After the the shcool career fair, I was selected for an on-campus interview by UPMC for their Financial Managment Rotation Prrogram. It is baiscally the behavior base interview. They asked about your leadership experience, Excel skill and problem solving ability. I was informed the next day that I has been invited to the second round interview which is set up a week after next week.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate about your analytical skills and the give an example.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh in February 2012.

I was contacted by email a UPMC recruiter who asked me to give her a call, stating what days she would be in the office. I tried contacting her 4-5 times in a morning or afternoon, when I could arrange to do so, but always got her voicemail, and had to follow up with an email explaining this, asking for a specific date and time as an alternative. We went through this at least 3 times before she finally agreed to interview me at a pre-determined time. We wasted over a week because she did understand the value (and necessity for those currently employed elsewhere) of actually scheduling an interview. This was an immediate turn-off, and I was glad the interview process went no further.

Nearly all questions had to do with the mission of the hospital and my experience working with children. The job itself had little, if any, requirement to work with children directly, and prior experience doing so was not required according to the job posting. Yet, that was the focus of the recruiter's questions.

Administrative Assistant Intermediate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh in May 2010.

A few days after applying, I received a call from HR wanting to interview me right then, which was odd. I did that interview and then got a call for an in person interview the next day. I was actually rejected for the job, and received a letter saying so, but then the person they hired didn't show up so they came back to me. At that point they wanted an answer fairly fast. I tried to negotiate salary but they said it was non-negotiable.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not that difficult - they were standard interview questions about strengths, weaknesses, examples of problem solving, etc. I did have to recite their core values (which are an acronym) from memory and then give an example of something I did that exemplified each one, but I was warned in advance that that would be happening.   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate and I was told that salaries are based on years of experience and that my offer was not negotiable.

Professional Staff Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh in February 2010.

I was offered a interview out of school as a GN in 2010. I passed my clearances via HR and only had one interview on site with one of the PICU unit managers. Shortly after, i was offered a full time position. The culture at CHP has changed since UPMC took over. You can tell processes are done in a systemic way; but individual members are genuinely in their intentions.

Interview Questions
    • There was really no difficult questions. It was straight forward conversation. The usual "give me an example of a time" approach was used by their management.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation with UPMC. They have market control and their supply of nurses is unlimited.