Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.1

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in July 2010.

I was contacted via my email address first. I then responded and the HR personnel scheduled the interview. I arrived was given a medication calculation test and did a 1:1 interview with the HR recruiter. Asked a lot of questions, tried to find out who I was as a person and what I was looking for in an employer. Then went for an interview in the unit I applied for. Met the manager in the front lobby and was escorted to the unit - at which time we went to the desk and was introduced to employees who were then asked to the interview if they wanted. Ended up being a group interview...interviewed by 5 employees and the manager. Was impressed with the "team work" attitude and not one negative was said by the employees. HR seemed a bit disorganized but learned as the day progressed a front office person was sick.

Interview Questions
    • What can you provide us as a company that someone else may not be able too?   View Answer

Access Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

Filed out online application, got an email two days later asking that I do a video interview within 48 hrs. It's not with an hr person on the other side of the screen. You get to practice by answering some random questions that hr won't see. You tape your responses and the hr person will review on their own time. I was asked 5 multiple choice questions (what days/shifts are you available) that I didn't have to tape a response for, just click for your response. Then I was asked to respond on video about a time that was stressful, what I thought employers should offer their employees in the workplace, and give an example of your organization skills.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were stressed in the workplace   Answer Question

Access Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

It was a video interview, you answer five multiple choice questions and then answer five questions on video. You are shown the question and get 30 seconds of prep time and up to 3 minutes of answer time. It made me more nervous to be recorded than I would be with a person.

In the email it said it would take a few weeks to hear back if they were considering you for a position.

Library Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in March 2015.

The format was fine. There was a three person interview and tour, one and a half hours long. The length of the interview was difficult due to not getting a moment to really think and refocus after such a long series of questions.

Everyone was really nice.

I think that one thing that they should give is feedback on how a person could improve their interview skills.
    They have amazing benefits package, and IS a very competitive place to attempt to get a position. I was one of about four people that was interviewed.

CNA Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

Starts with the online application, then video interview, and personal interview. The video interview is very simple, they only ask about 9 questions from which like 3 or 4 are recorded video and the rest is typing.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were actually not that difficult. They covered professional and personal information as well as how you react in a certain type of situation.
      The only aspect I did not like about the experience is that, to the moment, I have not confirmation of whether I got the job or not.

Answer Question

Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in December 2014.

I applied online, I had a fairly quick response. I did a video interview, that went well. I received an email thanking me for my interest. 3 months later I have a face to face interview with 2 of the hiring managers!

Interview Questions
    • What has been one of the biggest challenges you have faced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Director of Nursing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in March 2010.

This was about the 5th position I had interviewed for after leaving the company and returning 6 years later. It was very frustrating to not get interviews for positions that weren't in management or administration; because that is what I did previously, there was an assumption that they knew better than I did what job would suit me best.

I first interviewed with HR and then was scheduled to interview with all the "stakeholders" in the department; I had a series of about 6 interviews over a period of 6 - 7 hours. I knew some of the people conducting the interviews from previously; others I had never met. There were people on the interview schedule that really did not have any business being asked to give their opinion on whether I was right for the job. I interviewed with a group of nurse who would be reporting to me should I get the position. They were not well prepared for the interview and for the most part wanted to know if I would be an advocate for nursing. Physicians are also notoriously poor interviewers and asked very few meaningful questions. I was warned by my boss that if I accepted the position, I would be "cleaning up a mess." A mess was an understatement! I live in Kansas City, so the interview did not involve travel, etc.

As a hiring manager, I can speak briefly to the process for out of town applicants. Providers, whether they are APRNs or physicians, are flown in all expenses paid including air fare, hotel right across from the hospital, meals and transportation to and from the hospital. The interview day (for APRNs) or days (for MDs) are full-days with interviews with multiple individuals and usually one group interview. You are usually taken out to dinner at one of the top restaurants in the city. The relocation package for this group is very good, including a tour of the city to see where you might want to live and assistance finding a Realtor, etc .

Questions vary greatly depending on the department you are interviewing with, but there are usually a lot of behavioral questions, as well as questions that attempt to get your experience in dealing with key aspects of your job as well as your clinical skills and knowledge base.

HR does a very thorough job of discussing benefits and providing written information to review afterwards. There is an opportunity to negotiate salary; most other aspects of the benefit package are non-negotiable.

Interview Questions
    • Are you a nursing advocate and if so, please provide examples of situations when you went to bat for your nursing staff. One does not want to come off as "aggressive" while still letting nurses know you will be an advocate for them by listening and passing on their concerns to your supervisor or physicians (biggest concern). In my experience, while most interviewees know how to answer the question, they don't know how to put into action if offered the position   Answer Question
    Don't be shy in negotiating your salary; you won't have that opportunity again!

Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

group interviews with different members of the department conducted over the course of one day, standard interview, asked about background info, training, interests

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were very straight forward, describe career plans and goals   View Answer
    no negotioation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in September 2012.

Awful experience. Rude and would not contact me back about the position. You're wasting your time taking the $13.50 per hour they pay unless you're young, uneducated or desperate. I have a much better position, so thank GOD I didn't receive an offer and stupidly accept it.

Professional Training Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

I couldn't find the right job title/positions, so selected a random one. I have many years of experience in my field. I don't think the recruiters really look at the applications/resumes, because they send out a "we have selected a candidate whose qualifications more closely match the job requirements." On some of the jobs, I can't imagine someone having more experience/qualifications than I have. Even got one that said they had determined I was not qualified for the position. REALLY?! I was infinitely qualified for it. They either didn't read my application/resume, or they just eliminate people randomly, or they already had someone picked for the job. But to tell me I am not qualified when I am is insulting.