Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

9 candidate interviews

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted via my email address first. I then responded and the HR personnel scheduled the interview. I arrived was given a medication calculation test and did a 1:1 interview with the HR recruiter. Asked a lot of questions, tried to find out who I was as a person and what I was looking for in an employer. Then went for an interview in the unit I applied for. Met the manager in the front lobby and was escorted to the unit - at which time we went to the desk and was introduced to employees who were then asked to the interview if they wanted. Ended up being a group interview...interviewed by 5 employees and the manager. Was impressed with the "team work" attitude and not one negative was said by the employees. HR seemed a bit disorganized but learned as the day progressed a front office person was sick.

Interview Question – What can you provide us as a company that someone else may not be able too?   View Answer

Director of Nursing Interview

Director of Nursing
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in March 2010.

Interview Details – This was about the 5th position I had interviewed for after leaving the company and returning 6 years later. It was very frustrating to not get interviews for positions that weren't in management or administration; because that is what I did previously, there was an assumption that they knew better than I did what job would suit me best.

I first interviewed with HR and then was scheduled to interview with all the "stakeholders" in the department; I had a series of about 6 interviews over a period of 6 - 7 hours. I knew some of the people conducting the interviews from previously; others I had never met. There were people on the interview schedule that really did not have any business being asked to give their opinion on whether I was right for the job. I interviewed with a group of nurse who would be reporting to me should I get the position. They were not well prepared for the interview and for the most part wanted to know if I would be an advocate for nursing. Physicians are also notoriously poor interviewers and asked very few meaningful questions. I was warned by my boss that if I accepted the position, I would be "cleaning up a mess." A mess was an understatement! I live in Kansas City, so the interview did not involve travel, etc.

As a hiring manager, I can speak briefly to the process for out of town applicants. Providers, whether they are APRNs or physicians, are flown in all expenses paid including air fare, hotel right across from the hospital, meals and transportation to and from the hospital. The interview day (for APRNs) or days (for MDs) are full-days with interviews with multiple individuals and usually one group interview. You are usually taken out to dinner at one of the top restaurants in the city. The relocation package for this group is very good, including a tour of the city to see where you might want to live and assistance finding a Realtor, etc .

Questions vary greatly depending on the department you are interviewing with, but there are usually a lot of behavioral questions, as well as questions that attempt to get your experience in dealing with key aspects of your job as well as your clinical skills and knowledge base.

HR does a very thorough job of discussing benefits and providing written information to review afterwards. There is an opportunity to negotiate salary; most other aspects of the benefit package are non-negotiable.

Interview Question – Are you a nursing advocate and if so, please provide examples of situations when you went to bat for your nursing staff. One does not want to come off as "aggressive" while still letting nurses know you will be an advocate for them by listening and passing on their concerns to your supervisor or physicians (biggest concern). In my experience, while most interviewees know how to answer the question, they don't know how to put into action if offered the position   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't be shy in negotiating your salary; you won't have that opportunity again!

Trainee Interview

Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

Interview Details – group interviews with different members of the department conducted over the course of one day, standard interview, asked about background info, training, interests

Interview Question – Most questions were very straight forward, describe career plans and goals   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotioation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in September 2012.

Interview Details – Awful experience. Rude and would not contact me back about the position. You're wasting your time taking the $13.50 per hour they pay unless you're young, uneducated or desperate. I have a much better position, so thank GOD I didn't receive an offer and stupidly accept it.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a difficult Manager or leader   Answer Question

Professional Training Interview

Professional Training

I applied online and interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

Interview Details – I couldn't find the right job title/positions, so selected a random one. I have many years of experience in my field. I don't think the recruiters really look at the applications/resumes, because they send out a "we have selected a candidate whose qualifications more closely match the job requirements." On some of the jobs, I can't imagine someone having more experience/qualifications than I have. Even got one that said they had determined I was not qualified for the position. REALLY?! I was infinitely qualified for it. They either didn't read my application/resume, or they just eliminate people randomly, or they already had someone picked for the job. But to tell me I am not qualified when I am is insulting.

Interview Question – Difficult situation   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in September 2013.

Interview Details – 1-2 rounds of interview. Sometimes interviewed by Surgeons who so not have much hold on laboratory research.

Interview Question – technical questions asked by doctors or physicians   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not a good experience, they did not accept my negotiation.

Media Relations Intern Interview

Media Relations Intern
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and heard back relatively quickly. I initially applied for another intern position, but the person I interviewed with thought I was better suited for media relations and referred me to that department. I went in for another interview and it was a perfect fit.

Interview Question – Who is the most challenging person you have had to work with?   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

Staff RN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in January 2009.

Interview Details – I had already been working for this employer as a Care Assistant. It was fairly easy to get a job interview as an internal candidate. From what I have heard from others, it is pretty hard to get an interview if you don't know anyone who already works there.

Interview Question – Do you plan on getting your BSN.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Staff Nurse Interview

Staff Nurse

Interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Interview Details – Very hard to get on here unless you know someone. I called and called for months before I just called HR myself to set up an interview.

Interview Question – There were not any difficult or unexpected questions during the interview.   Answer Question

Worked for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics? Contribute to the Community!