Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.9

Staff Nurse Interview

Very hard to get on here unless you know someone. I called and called for months before I just called HR myself to set up an interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any difficult or unexpected questions during the interview.   Answer Question

Security Officer II Transportation Interview

Interview and Hiring Process can be lenghting, be patient and conduct follow up inquiries.
    This company is very much into customer service friendly environment (Children Hosptial).
    I was hired and have been working for any years.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions where pretty standard questions. Nothing to complicated.   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

Applying online is relatively easy, same procedures as most hospitals.

The interview process takes a long time to even start. Initial contact from HR took months yet I had over 5 years of pediatric experience. I received a random phone call one day from HR requesting an interview. The process now includes a self recorded initial interview which I find impersonal plus current employees are not exempt.

The actual interview itself was fine. Normal interview questions were asked and I was a given tour. This tour seemed nice but felt like I was being paraded around. I was introduced to staff which felt awkward but everyone was nice.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you dealt with a difficult coworker or family; how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Non existent. You were essentially given an amount and expected to accept or reject.

Access Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in October 2014.

Have not been hired yet. I applied online, got quick response to be invited to do video interview (to be completed within 48 hours. Then, next day I got quick response to video interview saying my application was forwarded onto hiring manager for consideration. FINGERS CROSSED! :):):):):) BEST HOSPITAL IN KC, MO!

Interview Questions
    • Was no hard or difficult questions. The only unexpected part was the video interview, because I had never done one before! :) Overall GREAT experience, was nervous for the interview for nothing!   Answer Question

PT/OT Aide Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

make sure to follow up with recruiters..they are very helpful and call back with additional information on the orientation process. Make sure to follow up with your interest level as they get a lot of applications.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current job? What do you not like about your current manager?   Answer Question
    I asked for a higher salary and they came back to me with a new offer

Staff RN Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in January 2009.

I had already been working for this employer as a Care Assistant. It was fairly easy to get a job interview as an internal candidate. From what I have heard from others, it is pretty hard to get an interview if you don't know anyone who already works there.

I did not negotiate.

Professional Training Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

I couldn't find the right job title/positions, so selected a random one. I have many years of experience in my field. I don't think the recruiters really look at the applications/resumes, because they send out a "we have selected a candidate whose qualifications more closely match the job requirements." On some of the jobs, I can't imagine someone having more experience/qualifications than I have. Even got one that said they had determined I was not qualified for the position. REALLY?! I was infinitely qualified for it. They either didn't read my application/resume, or they just eliminate people randomly, or they already had someone picked for the job. But to tell me I am not qualified when I am is insulting.

Director of Nursing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in March 2010.

This was about the 5th position I had interviewed for after leaving the company and returning 6 years later. It was very frustrating to not get interviews for positions that weren't in management or administration; because that is what I did previously, there was an assumption that they knew better than I did what job would suit me best.

I first interviewed with HR and then was scheduled to interview with all the "stakeholders" in the department; I had a series of about 6 interviews over a period of 6 - 7 hours. I knew some of the people conducting the interviews from previously; others I had never met. There were people on the interview schedule that really did not have any business being asked to give their opinion on whether I was right for the job. I interviewed with a group of nurse who would be reporting to me should I get the position. They were not well prepared for the interview and for the most part wanted to know if I would be an advocate for nursing. Physicians are also notoriously poor interviewers and asked very few meaningful questions. I was warned by my boss that if I accepted the position, I would be "cleaning up a mess." A mess was an understatement! I live in Kansas City, so the interview did not involve travel, etc.

As a hiring manager, I can speak briefly to the process for out of town applicants. Providers, whether they are APRNs or physicians, are flown in all expenses paid including air fare, hotel right across from the hospital, meals and transportation to and from the hospital. The interview day (for APRNs) or days (for MDs) are full-days with interviews with multiple individuals and usually one group interview. You are usually taken out to dinner at one of the top restaurants in the city. The relocation package for this group is very good, including a tour of the city to see where you might want to live and assistance finding a Realtor, etc .

Questions vary greatly depending on the department you are interviewing with, but there are usually a lot of behavioral questions, as well as questions that attempt to get your experience in dealing with key aspects of your job as well as your clinical skills and knowledge base.

HR does a very thorough job of discussing benefits and providing written information to review afterwards. There is an opportunity to negotiate salary; most other aspects of the benefit package are non-negotiable.

Interview Questions
    • Are you a nursing advocate and if so, please provide examples of situations when you went to bat for your nursing staff. One does not want to come off as "aggressive" while still letting nurses know you will be an advocate for them by listening and passing on their concerns to your supervisor or physicians (biggest concern). In my experience, while most interviewees know how to answer the question, they don't know how to put into action if offered the position   Answer Question
    Don't be shy in negotiating your salary; you won't have that opportunity again!

Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.

group interviews with different members of the department conducted over the course of one day, standard interview, asked about background info, training, interests

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were very straight forward, describe career plans and goals   View Answer
    no negotioation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in September 2012.

Awful experience. Rude and would not contact me back about the position. You're wasting your time taking the $13.50 per hour they pay unless you're young, uneducated or desperate. I have a much better position, so thank GOD I didn't receive an offer and stupidly accept it.