Chili's Server Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2015

2.1

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chili's in March 2015.

Interview

I put in an app for host and server positions. Heard back about a month later by email to schedule an interview for a server position. The scheduling was done online on the website no contact with anyone from the restaurant itself.

I arrived at the interview early and the manager was busy and had asked me to come back later. So again I arrive to my interview about 10 minutes early. I sit at a table waiting he was late when he finally arrive he asked me to tell him about myself and my experience. Before I could finish the question he noticed on my resume its been a few years since I worked in a restaurant and that he needs someone with previous experience. He would not even give me a chance to proceed with the question or the interview.

I feel that doing everything electronic for this company is not efficient there's no contact someone saw my application as a good fit and but who? If the actual interviewed were able to review the apps we could have avoided existing both out time. I feel that it wasn't fair that I didn't get a chance to show what I had to offer and that I do have the experience needed.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Chili's

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chili's (Savannah, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

the interview process was fairly quick. i applied online and also had a friend refer me in store (she already was working at this chili's. i met with the manager only and was told that if they had an available position for me i'd be notified within a week.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for the position? What are you studying in school? What qualities do you have for this location?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chili's in January 2010.

Interview

You had to first fill out a the application, after the manager went over the application they have you take a personality test and math/english pattern test. This test takes about an hour and is pass or fail. If you do pass you then have to wait about a week for the management to call your references. Once this has been done there is a patterned interview with the general manager. You have to get a certain number of points to pass the part.

Interview Questions

• what would you like people to describe you as?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Memphis, AR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chili's (West Memphis, AR) in July 2008.

Interview

printed application off line, filled it out at home, completed resume and dropped it off by hand. Manager asked if I could return the following day to answer questions.

got another offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foothill Ranch, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chili's (Foothill Ranch, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

I walked in between 2 and 4pm one day to speak with manager and turn in my resume. I was going for bartender but they told me they hire from within so I would need to apply for server. The manager took my resume and application that I printed off the internet and filled out before I came in. She said to call once a week to check to see if they were hiring. 8 days later they called me in for an interview. I had no server experience but I did have direct sales experience. The first interview was with one manager and took almost an hour. She asked many questions about how I would act in certain situations. 3 days later she called to schedule an interview with the other manager. This manager only interviewed me for about 20 minutes and asked a few more questions. They were both really nice and friendly. They are really looking for people who can deliver hospitality and they both seemed to like me. One week later I followed up to see if they had made a decision. They said they hadn't yet but to give them a few more days. 5 days later they called and offered me the job. Now I have to fill out paperwork and do orientation, then 1 week of training.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you went above and beyond to help a client.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if one of your co-workers wasn't pulling his/her weight?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non- negotiable. In California it's minimum wage plus tips.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chili's in May 2012.

Interview

I submitted my application and called to follow up a few days later, was told there weree no server positions so I agreed to interview for food expediter

Negotiation

yes I recieved less than average pay, with promise of a raise to average when I show i know hat I am doing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Chili's (Louisville, KY) in March 2012.

Interview

I just walked in for an application. I was able to interview on the spot with a manager. He asked what I was doing the following Monday. I told him I would be back for another interview and he laughed. I met with the General Manager the next interview and was offered a position. Scheduling for orientation takes the most time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were not able to make a guest happy. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You do anything other than serve, its $7.50. Serve its $2.13 plus tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lodi, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chili's (Lodi, CA) in July 2008.

Interview

You need to arrive at the place of desired employment on a weekday between the hours of 2-4pm. You will ask to speak to a manager about applying for a job. You will then sit down and fill out an application, followed by a question sheet. This is going to determine weather you have the desired attitude and drive to work there. If you pass, usually you move onto a series of two more tests. Sometimes they'll ask you to come back on a different day to speak to a different manager so the entire management team can have the opportunity to meet you. If you pass all three tests, they call you back and you complete your training with another series of tests. These tests will be on the food items, abbreviation, and the OS the computers work off of. If you show potential and pass all 5 days of testing/training, you will then be a full employee.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work here?" "What are your expectations about working here? For yourself and from the company?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. If you pass the tests, you're hired. The only negotiating is done with scheduling. All servers make minimum wage and then work off of their tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chili's (Bloomington, IL).

Interview

The manager told me they are still figuring out a new process. The entire app was filled out online along with questions and resume. They first emailed and then called with an interview time. Interview started a little fuzzy because of the new system, but ended up flowing like a conversation.

First, I was asked to describe myself. My likes, hobbies, recent activities and include some work history in my self-description. How long have you been a server? Describe a time you were stiffed and what you did. Tell me about the best service you have ever had. Where was it and why was it the best? Why do you want to work for Chili's?

Interview Questions

• First I was asked if I've ever eaten at a Chili's. (Yes.) What are some of your favorite menu items? Then I was asked to describe one of my favorites to him like I was describing it to a customer. (I would have taken a look at the menu for a refresher if I knew there would have been such a detailed question!)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alamogordo, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chili's (Alamogordo, NM) in May 2013.

Interview

Made to wait over an hour past interview time for interview, then she laughed and said she didn't know what to ask me, so i came back to talk to another manager the next day, again waited over an hour, this guy was some grease ball snake in the grass type, I tried to work him but he was slippery and in the end i wound up with a lower position than i wanted