Chili's Server Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chili's.

The manager told me they are still figuring out a new process. The entire app was filled out online along with questions and resume. They first emailed and then called with an interview time. Interview started a little fuzzy because of the new system, but ended up flowing like a conversation.

First, I was asked to describe myself. My likes, hobbies, recent activities and include some work history in my self-description. How long have you been a server? Describe a time you were stiffed and what you did. Tell me about the best service you have ever had. Where was it and why was it the best? Why do you want to work for Chili's?

Interview Questions
  • First I was asked if I've ever eaten at a Chili's. (Yes.) What are some of your favorite menu items? Then I was asked to describe one of my favorites to him like I was describing it to a customer. (I would have taken a look at the menu for a refresher if I knew there would have been such a detailed question!)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Chili's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Chili's in January 2013.

I applied online at the beginning of January. I had to pass through a questionaire that sorted out different personalities and work ethics. I got an email a couple days later asking me to schedule an interview. Super easy, I scheduled it myself on my own time. I then met with the GM for the interview. She was super laid back, and she asked me some questions about working in a team and about previous server xp. She must have liked me, because she hired me without any prior serving experience. Very comfortable interview process.

Interview Questions
    Take the offer, good pay, flexible hours for a student.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Chili's in March 2012.

I just walked in for an application. I was able to interview on the spot with a manager. He asked what I was doing the following Monday. I told him I would be back for another interview and he laughed. I met with the General Manager the next interview and was offered a position. Scheduling for orientation takes the most time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were not able to make a guest happy. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You do anything other than serve, its $7.50. Serve its $2.13 plus tips.

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Chili's in January 2012.

good interview, worthless training that goes nowhere and has no result

Interview Questions
    • poor scheduling management, you can plan your schedule but they have no understanding of hours   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ

I applied in-person – interviewed at Chili's in November 2011.

It was intense. I had to first take an iq test to even get in the door. Not sure if they are still doing that now. Then the training is hard too. You are expected to learn every ingredient on the menu items and pass at 90% during your 5 day training. It was very intense but this prepares you for your job.

Interview Questions
    No, I just got hired on the conditions that I passed the int initial 5 day training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foothill Ranch, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chili's in August 2011.

I walked in between 2 and 4pm one day to speak with manager and turn in my resume. I was going for bartender but they told me they hire from within so I would need to apply for server. The manager took my resume and application that I printed off the internet and filled out before I came in. She said to call once a week to check to see if they were hiring. 8 days later they called me in for an interview. I had no server experience but I did have direct sales experience. The first interview was with one manager and took almost an hour. She asked many questions about how I would act in certain situations. 3 days later she called to schedule an interview with the other manager. This manager only interviewed me for about 20 minutes and asked a few more questions. They were both really nice and friendly. They are really looking for people who can deliver hospitality and they both seemed to like me. One week later I followed up to see if they had made a decision. They said they hadn't yet but to give them a few more days. 5 days later they called and offered me the job. Now I have to fill out paperwork and do orientation, then 1 week of training.

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation where you went above and beyond to help a client.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if one of your co-workers wasn't pulling his/her weight?   Answer Question
    Non- negotiable. In California it's minimum wage plus tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Chili's in April 2011.

I went in and filled out an application. I was then told to come back in 3 days and take a personality assessment/intelligence test. The test was pretty easy, just answer the questions honestly and with a modicum of common sense and you will pass. After you pass the assessment you will have an interview with the hiring manager and he will make the final decision but honestly if you pass the assessment you will get the job about 90% of the time.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult client, someone who is being rude to you and hard to deal with.   Answer Question
    No negotiation really.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chili's in February 2011.

Walked in with app. Recieved a 5 min. interview on the spot. Called me in next day for an additional interview, hired on the spot after that one.

Interview Questions
    • Personal examples of multiple problem situations with unhappy guests.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in High Point, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in High Point, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Chili's in June 2010.

I filled out an application and was able to interview with a manager the same day. I was called in for a second interview later in the week and offered the position that afternoon via phone call. The interview was standard with no curve balls.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation and server pay is $2.13/hour plus tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chili's in May 2010.

It was pretty easy and is based a lot on personality