Chipotle Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Chipotle (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online and was called in for an interview 2 days after the phone call. I arrived a few minutes early just to be safe. The interview was with one of the managers and was about 5 minutes long. She asked basic questions. 2 weeks later, I was the one who called to come in for a 2nd interview. This interview was with the manager who interviewed me the last time and the general manager. The questions they asked me were the same as the 1st interview. The general manager told me on the spot that she wanted me to meet the crew so I met the afternoon crew that day (which took an hour). You get to talk to the crew one on one in the kitchen just to get to know them and vice versa. When I was done, the General Manager told me to meet the morning crew on the weekend early morning. I met them and it was the same as the day I met the afternoon crew. Each one of these interviews took about 5 minutes or less.

Interview Questions

• Why chipotle?
      Why should we NOT hire you?
      What do you know about chipotle?
      In one word, how would your friends describe you? (use one of the 13 characteristics)

Answer Question

Compliance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Chipotle (Denver, CO).

Interview

I was asked to do the video interview. There were 5 questions from what I can remember they were:
    What makes a top performer?
    How do you handle telling someone something they don't want to hear?
    Why do you want to work for Chipotle?
    What interests you most about this position?
    Tell me about your education / experience (something generic)

Within 2 days I was contacted to come in for an in-person interview.

I was met by 3 people and was asked why I wanted to work for Chipotle, what I knew about Chipotle and what my educational history was. That was it.

I found it odd that a recent college graduate that "had only been there 6 weeks" was part of the interview process. The other person had been there 5 months and the other a few years. Seems like a lot of turn-a-around.

Definitely felt like my time was wasted. I answered more questions in the video interview than they asked me in person. A young culture that seems unaware of the corporate hierarchy around them...I don't think anyone with experience would enjoy the inevitable hiccups. An offer wasn't offered. I was thankful.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected. They want you to say you are a hard worker and that anyone has the ability to be a top performer. Pretty typical.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Chipotle.

Interview

This interview process was so frustrating. Especially since this was a fast food job they did absolutely way too much. First it was a brief phone interview. I received an email confirming a face to face interview. I spoke to the apprentice. He showed me around the back of the resultant and made it seem as if I was that much closer to the job. Then was called in to speak to the manager, assistant manager, and 2 crew members! Seriously. All of this so the manager could tell me he didn't think I had enough high energy for the job. I was interviewed in the restaurant while customers were seated eating I didn't particularly want to make a scene.

Restaurant Team Member Crew Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chipotle (Clovis, CA).

Interview

I went through the first stage which was a group interview of 10 candidates.
    The manager barely spoke any English and was a tree-hugging environmentalist.

We all put our names and phone numbers on a sheet and proceeded to introduce ourselves to the manager. After several typical questions the manager emphasized the vision of Chipotle and the importance of team work and cooperation. We were excused and told that we would receive a call or email by the end of the week.

I was the only white male in this group, everyone else was either Latino or Asian so ethnicity played a major role in the candidate selection process. (I was declined without an explanation.)

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chipotle (Stockton, CA).

Interview

Applied Wednesday, got a call back Saturday. First interview that Monday.

So I did my research on such short notice. It's helpful that you watch the Chipotle documentary so you can kiss butt. In the interview they emphasize a lot on empowerment and top performance.

interview questions
    (Process was about 15 minutes)
    What do you know about the history of chipotle?
    How did you apply for this position?
    What are some of your past job experiences?
    What didn't you like about your previous job?

Second interview Tuesday
    Wasn't really an interview, they said they lost our papers where they were taking notes about us from the first interview. So the kitchen manager just gave us a tour of the front and back of the house.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chipotle (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by company recruiter to interview at an upcoming job fair. As I have no "restaurant" experience I felt this was a long shot. She assured me my management experience was transferable.

First, met with a recruiter and a current Manager. Went great! I was asked to stay for another round. Next group was another recruiter, current Manager and an executive. The executive never stood up to meet me, shake my hand or introduce himself. He never smiled. Seemed ticked off from the get go-before I ever spoke. He looked like a narly old man and acted like it.
    He never exuded the 13 characteristics Chipotle prides itself in attaining from its employees. I knew immediately he was not impressed and this interview would be my last. The other 2 gentleman were great and conducted themselves as professionals.

As previously stated, I never expected to move through the process due to my lack of food background, but I was so impressed with what I read about the company, I was intrigued and hoped for a positive outcome. Sooo disappointed with the negative, unprofessional attitude of the one executive (who should be the example of all company culture attributes). His opinion would be important.

The event was well set up, staffed and everyone else I met was great. Too bad this one person has drastically changed my opinion of the company. Being that he was so transparent before I ever spoke, I seriously suspect either gender issues, I'm female, age issues-over 50. Whatever the issue, his mind was made up before the interview started.

I would hope Chipotle would want all applicants to walk away with a good feeling about the company and the interviewing process. Everyone is not going to get an offer but the integrity of the company is on the line. As stated in most customer service training, one negative experience does irreparable damage.

Interview Questions

• What does empowerment mean and how have you used it to manage.   Answer Question

Chipotle Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Port Orange, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chipotle (Port Orange, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, got a call about 4 days later setting up an interview for the next Saturday. I was expecting it to be a group interview because I had heard that Chipotle often does this for the first interview, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a one on one interview with one of the managers. She was very down-to-earth and laid back. She started off by giving me 5 minute description of her background/experience with Chipotle, which I appreciated. Then she asked me to just tell her about myself. Other questions included: What do you think success means? What are the two most important things for working as a team? Can you multi-task/explain an example? Do you have an work experience? What was your favorite part about your last job? What is your availability and how many hours would you like to work? How would you handle a situation in which what your supervisor told you to do is not what you are actually supposed to be doing or it is the wrong way to do it? (probably the hardest question). After answering these questions she talked a lot about the culture of Chipotle and the work ethic- basically how they are big on the employees feeling like a family and whatnot. She said she liked me and that I would have to go through a couple more interviews before I might get hired. She scheduled another interview for the next week in which I would have an informal meeting with a couple other managers and some crew members- that they would give me some food and we would just have a meal together and see if I fit in with their "family." I haven't done that yet, so I don't know if I will be given an offer.

Interview Questions

• What are the two most important things for working as a team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Chipotle (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call about a week after sending in my application to come to an interview on Tuesday at 4. I got there around 3:45 (dressed in black pants, flats, and a buisness-casual top) and wasn't surprised to find that it was a group interview because I had done tons of research on this site prior. Before the interview even started, I was a nervous wreck. However, I started talking with another girl who was also there for the interview. We immediateley hit it off and helped each other calm down. We even started chatting with some of the crew, asking them questions about their jobs and stuff. Within three minutes of entering the building, I was completely calm and in fact was excited for the interview. The interview itself didn't start until around 4:10. It was conducted by the general manager. She did a great job of making all seven of us feel welcome, comfortable, and like our opinions truly mattered. It took about 45 minutes, and a good 10-15 minutes of that time was her explaining Chipotle's food and people cultures. I was prepared for all the questions (she only asked 3 or 4), and I was the only one who knew about the history of the restaurant. Be sure to go to Chipotle's website and research these it before your interview! I was also the first one to ask a question when we were asked if we had any questions. Simply examining the personalities of the workers who were there and based off the questions she asked, I could tell that they genuinely want workers who are high-spirited and easy to get along with, which I think I did a pretty good job of being. At the end of the interview, she told us that if we received a call within 24-48 hours, they wanted us to come back for a second interview with the crew and that if we received an email, they didn't want us. Well, I recieved an email yesterday (Thursday), but this is where I'm confused: it gave me a username and password to create an account on myworkday.com. I did so, and appearantly it's the website that you're supposed to use to track your hours and your pay and your schedule if you get the job. The thing is, I haven't officially gotten the job! They never called me in the 24-48 hours that they said they would; I haven't even had my second crew interview yet. I've been trying to get a hold of the lady who interviewed me, or anyone else who might be able to explain, but no one I talk to seems to know, and my interviewer is alsways gone or busy when I call. I really hope to get this straightened out soon because I would love to work at Chipotle; the workers are cool, the managers are nice, the overall atmosphere is really fun, and apparently they pay well. Overall, this has been a positive expereince. I'm proud of how well I did during and before the interview, especially considering that I was so scared originally. However, I'm getting frustrated that no one is able to tell me what's going on.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chipotle in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received an email within a few days to come in for an interview the following week. Interview was easy, very short. I was told that I'd receive an email later that day to tell me if I got the job or not. I didn't receive an email so I called the store the next day. They told me their hiring managers were not in and to call the next day. I called the next day and they told me the same thing. I patiently waited until the next day and called for the third time. They told me again that the hiring managers were not in, but said that its likely that I didn't get the job and they just haven't told me yet. Still awaiting an email from them. Will update when email is recieved.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Chipotle (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I was notified through email to come in. Very nice, friendly people and manager. He asked me basic questions. I came prepared, I knew all the answers. He told me he would call me later on for a second interview with the crew. I never got a call back.