Chipotle Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Chipotle in June 2014.

I asked in person if the store was hiring on a Sunday, and the managers (two of them were working) said yes. They gave me a Now Hiring card, and one of them wrote their name on it as a referral for when I applied online. The application didn't take long to fill out -- cover letter, work experience, a couple of essay questions, and a few screening questions. They contacted me the next day (Monday) to schedule an interview for the following day (Tuesday). I participated in two interviews: one with a manager, and the other with coworkers.

1st interview: The apprentice to the General Manager interviewed me one-on-one on Tuesday. Pretty typical questions (why do you want to work here, strengths/weaknesses, etc.) with a few thrown in about Chipotle. Do some research about the company's vision and how they prepare their food before you walk in. I was offered a group interview the next morning (Wednesday). I should note that typically, candidates can be interviewed by up to 4 managers (independently, still one-on-one). But I guess they liked me enough; I was interviewed by only 1 manager.

2nd interview: It was pretty chill. You share a lunch break with your future potential coworkers to see if they get a good vibe from you. (Plus, free lunch!) Some managers joined in to eat, too. Pretty informal, similar questions but your coworkers ask lighter stuff like "What do you enjoy doing outside of work?" They had to get back to work when I was still finishing up my meal, but they said they'd call me the next day regarding their decision. As I was leaving the place, though, the manager flagged me down and hired me right then and there. (He said he went around asked everyone what they thought of me, and everyone liked me.) I began work the following week.

Interview Questions
    • How does our food stand out from other fast food restaurants?   Answer Question
    You don't negotiate if it's your first time, but be warned -- whatever wage you set on your online application is what you'll be earning. And it's pretty much set in stone. I put down $8/hr because I was too afraid of coming off as greedy...or something. But, another coworker with less experience (and is not a terribly high performer tbh) put down $9/hr on his app...and that's what he gets.

Crew Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Chipotle.

I applied on line and was contacted by email a few days later. When I showed up ,about 10 minutes early, there was one other girl there. They told us to take a seat and wait. Meanwhile more people showed up, two other girls and two guys. So after waiting about 10 minutes past the time when we were supposed to have the interview, the manager and some other guy showed up( he didn't really introduce his position). The had us sign our names on a clip board and then proceeded with a group interview. They asked basic questions like why we wanted to work there, what we know about the history of chipotle, and how we feel working in a fast paced environment. They mostly talked alot about chipotle and their whole philosophy and food with integrity.

Cashier and Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Chipotle in July 2013.

This interview was actually based on the new restaurant they were opening 'ShopHouse Kitchen'. Basically, Chipotle hired outside employees and 1 manager to run the restaurant.

It was a group interview and we had to wait outside the construction area until everyone showed up. We then were sent to a nearby seating area and got interviewed. One guy did more talking than the manager itself. It was okay I guess. They don't hire anyone who is under 18.

And you really have to do research about the company and prefer no experience employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Chipotle in August 2014.

I was contacted about a week and a half after applying and invited in for an interview. I attended a preliminary interview. The primary interview, unlike with other Chipotles I have applied to, was 1:1. I was invited for a second interview before leaving the first interview. My second interview took place less than a week later. Upon attending the second interview, I was offered a position on the same day.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Chipotle in May 2014.

I mean it was a waste of time and gas money to be honest. Also, it's not hard to get an interview at all, they'll interview just about anyone. The problem is, chipotle does not look at the applications until after the interview process (which is stupid) I've applied to like 10 locations, it was the same thing: group interview, waste of time, plus the manager doesn't interview you until like 30 minutes after you were scheduled to come in. Heck, half the time you don't even get interviews by the manager, just a team member. One particular location I went through a four interview process, the 1st was one on one while the other 3 were group interviews. (Which I can't stand, they'll never tell you that before, so when you think they're really interested in you, I hate to say it but not really. Like I said they just interview anyone without looking at the apps first) I was professional at all times, they were interested in everything I said, I studied the history of the company like I would for my history test and I got all questions they asked reguarding the history correct. During the 4 interviews I was interviewed by all crew members and team members, and was given a tour of the kitchen along with a video tour, just to get an email a week later that I was not going to be given an offer, like really? I found out they didn't look at my app until after those 4 interviews, and I couldn't work full time since I was I'm high school at the time. I think you should really think before you take interest in working there, because chipotle will put you through so much just to decline you later. And 4 interviews I think it's a little extreme for just a fast food restuaraunt making 8 bucks an hour. Most restaurants (including fine in) will put you through 2 maximum. 4 interviews is something you'd go through with like a big company corporation where you'd wear a suite and tie. So yeah waste if time, I'll never apply their again. Makes me so angry, I was a loyal costumer to chipotle, but after this, it makes me not wanna eat their anymore.

Interview Questions
    • Who is Steve ells? (Owner and founder of chipotle. Opened the 1st restuaraunt I'm Columbus Ohio in 1993)   View Answer

Cashier and Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago Heights, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago Heights, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Chipotle in May 2014.

It was a waste of time!
    I did a lot of research on Chipotle
    My interview went great! Every question he asked me about Chipolte I had it correct. I'm very bubbly and friendly and I know he saw that in me. I can tell I fascinate him with my Info.
    So why didn't I get it?
    In my OPINION I feel like if you wasn't Mexican, you wasn't getting it.
    And they reason I say this is because at the place I apply to only had nothing but Mexicans working there, not saying every Chipotle have nothing but Mexicans working there but where I'm from, they do. (Nothings Wrong With That... I'm not racist.)

Service Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Chipotle in July 2010.

Went for one interview. Got hired on the spa..they always need help and don't get too picky when it comes to hired. Just smile and you got it. However they fired very easy.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. All simple and tell me about your self.   Answer Question
    No negotiation..13 hour and that was it.

Crew Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Chipotle.

I attended a Chipotle interview. The process was okay actually very easy questions like what do you know about the company .The interview was based on why we would like to work here. An how the new employee have a three step interview process.More about who vibes with the crew rather than who is qualified

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Chipotle in June 2014.

I went in for an open interview that I had applied online. My first interview was with a young, kitchen manager. Haven't heard back in a week or so, I went ahead and called back to follow up and got another interview with the apprentice and the GM of the store, since they were desperate to get someone hired and start working since they were short handed.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult or unexpected. They did most of the talking about Chipotle, the values, and the history background. The only thing I could remember asking me was "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work for chipotle" and also "what do you know about chipotle" etc etc etc.   Answer Question
    I would advice people to do some research of the chipotle background and how it all got started.

Crew Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Chipotle in July 2014.

I applied online 3 or 4 restaurants, they called me for one, but I couldn't go, two weeks late a received a email for another.
    This selective process was a waste of time. I made an interview with three managers, we were five interviewed each time, there were about 15 people waiting. They made three questions. None answered better than another, but they chose two people, and talked more with them, and they continue talking with others by mere formality. I am a foreign, I can communicate very well in English, but the fact they shamelessly chose two people, even they were not better than others, made me so angry that I bad responded a simple question about free time. I don't know what they are looking for, but it is not for the best. These questions were not enough to know who is the best.