Chubb Corp

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.9

Underwriting Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Chubb Corp.

The interview process is very detailed and took a number of months. I applied around 3-4 months prior to getting a response to the job post. By the time I got the job post I - on one day - had to be interviewed with 4 individuals. This is customary with Chubb interviews. Each interviewee took 30 mins to a hour and ranged from totally intense to very relaxed. Later I learned that that all discussed the questions asked and how I responded in each interview before making the final decision. After this point it took a month before I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • It's the end of the day and you are set to head out but you get a call from a broker asking for you to process a rush request what do you do?   View Answer
    The negotiation was pretty straight forward. The hr person was up front from the start as was I.

Staff Accountant Interview

The recruiter contacted me to schedule a phone interview. It was about 30 minutes total with about 5 questions with time at the end for me to ask questions. The conversation was with a recruiter who then forwards the information to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had to convey an important message to someone you know.   Answer Question

Underwriter Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp in September 2014.

I originally interviewed for a Specialty Underwriting Associate position in New York. I received feedback that I did very well but did not receive an offer. I applied for the Underwriter Associate I position immediately after not receiving an offer for the Specialty Underwriting Associate position and asked my recruiter to pass my information along to the hiring manager of the Underwriter Associate I position.

In contrast to the previous position's overly-lengthy interviewing process that took over a month from start to finish, the interviewing process for this position went very quickly and was far more efficient.

A week after submitting my information to the hiring manager, I was scheduled for a single day of interviewing with 3 people of various position titles. Overall, the process lasted ~2 hours and the employees and Chubb were thoroughly professional during the process. I received an offer only 3 days later and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your understanding of the underwriting process.
      Tell me any factors you think might be considered for the underwriting process of a new line.
        Answer Question
    I received a competitive offer from The Hartford for an extremely similar position that I could've used to negotiate, but I feel like I somewhat undersold myself because I did not use this offer to negotiate with Chubb, since my preference was to work for Chubb. Both positions were entry-level and my thought process was that I did not want to build contempt for attempting to negotiate a better offer for an entry-level position.

Underwriter I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse, NJ

I applied through other source – interviewed at Chubb Corp in September 2014.

I posted my resume and received a call within a week. I was told that I was going to hear back within a week, no one ever called me. I called the recruiter and left a message, didn't even called back.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with travelling to a place you don't know?   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Chubb Corp in July 2014.

They are a top notched organization. The recruiter contacted me via email and asked for my availability. They always sent detailed interview schedules and company information prior to the interviews. The interviews were conversational and really about fit with the company's culture more than about my ability to do the job. They communicated and set expectations throughout the process. They move quickly. Just 2 weeks between each round of interviews and offers follow quickly after the first round.

Interview Questions
    • How does your present experience relate to insurance?   View Answer

I got more money elsewhere.

Underwriter Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp.

2 interviews. One with the Underwriting Manager the other with HR. It was mostly for fit after a few quick technical questions. Everyone wanted to just chat .

Accounting Intern (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Chubb Corp.

I was contacted after applying online for a full time position. Had a phone interview for the full time positions but was asked back for interviews for the internship which was a glorified temp job. Took a while for me to finally come in for an interview. Three separate interviews with different managers in the department.

Underwriter Trainee Interview

The process started with several rounds of phone interviews with senior underwriters. The questions were straight forward for the most part and seemed to be more conversational. After the phone interviews came the in office interviews. These interviews were conducted by managers and the questions were geared more towards the position itself.

Underwriting Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp.

I initially applied on company website and about two weeks later had a recruiter call me about a position I appied for. On the phone interview the recruiter talked about company background, position, my backgroud and how I might fit in. Then the recruiter asked if I would like to come in for an in-person interview. I came in the next week and I met with a manager and a supervisor. The 1 on 1 interview was very professional. After I interiewed I recieved an offer about 2 weeks later. Overall it was a great experience as the staff was very friendly and recruiters were very helpful.

Interview Questions
    I called to check status about two weeks after interview and they said that they wanted to offer me a full time position. Recieved offer a few business days after phone call.

Programmer Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Chubb Corp.

I had 3 phone interviews. The first was with a recruiter and the two second round interviews were with IT managers and an executive that was looking for an assistant.

Interview process consisted of two phone interviews (had I lived closer the second round would have been in person). The first interview was with a recruiter that had no programming experience so I was asked typical behavioral questions and things about my resume (why do you want to work at Chubb, what experiences do you have that qualify you for this position, tell me about a time when you led a team, ect.).

The second interview was with a IT Project Manager so they had a technical background. There were no test questions but I did have to explain past experiences and projects in more technical detail.

The interview with the executive was much more technical. Questions about data mining and things like that. The interview didn't go as well as the previous two so I guess that is why I ended up working under the other manager.

All interviews were about a half hour to an hour.

Interview Questions
    • None were too difficult. There were no problem solving or puzzle questions. Examples: Why should we hire you, why do you want to work in IT, what do you know about Chubb? Typical interview questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for interns or trainees