Chubb Corp Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

2.8

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp.

Interview

Applied online and received an e-mail from HR a few days later about scheduling a phone interview which was mainly walking through my resume. A few days later after the phone interview received a follow-up e-mail from HR about them being interested and will schedule an in office interview. A week after, received a phone call about scheduling an in office interview for next week. In office, I interviewed with HR and four other underwriters. Each interview was 45 minutes each. Interviews were very relaxed and casual. No challenging questions, mostly behavioral. Everybody was very nice and eager to learn about you.

Interview Questions

• How do you make a decision? Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to be an underwriter? Why Chubb? How would your last manager describe you?   Answer Question

Personal Lines Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Chubb Corp (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Went to Whitehouse Station, met with 4 different Underwriting managers, great experience, also met with a trainee. They discussed everything an underwriter does and tried to determine if your skill set would be a good fit. Also submitted a piece of my writing. The trainee took us to get lunch in the cafeteria and then we had about an hour to ask her any questions, which I found to be very helpful.

Underwriting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chubb Corp in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call the next week asking me to come in for an interview. I went into the interview and met with 5 different people for 15- 30 mins each. The questions varied from being very behavioral based to just getting to know me better. Overall, it was a very laid back and went smoothly. Be prepared for the typical, "why do you want this job" questions.

Interview Questions

• "What was a mistake you made and how did you learn from it?" "How would your current employees describe you?" "How do you handle conflict?" "How do you handle a large workload?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't in a place to negotiate. The offered salary was very good.

Senior Field Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Chubb Corp.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and has an initial phone interview. The next steps were to meet with 3 individuals at the actual job site. The job interview with each individual was both challenging but very easy process overall. I was contacted within 2 days of the interview, in which I was offered the job. Very good experience and very good company.

Interview Questions

• How were you able to communicate a difficult decision to an agent?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Chubb Corp in December 2014.

Interview

The process took awhile. I received an email to have a phone interview/screen, and it took place about three weeks after that. After a few days, I got an email asking me to come in to interview with a bunch of their actuaries (around 6 if I remember right). That process was great – I went to both their campuses in New Jersey and the people I met were really friendly. You could tell they really enjoyed doing what they do and that Chubb put them in a position to succeed. The questions weren't overly difficult, mostly behavioral (although there were some brain teasers and technical questions). They took about two months to get back to me though, which is the only part of the process that I didn't really enjoy.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain what the VLOOKUP function does?   Answer Question
    • Why qualities do you have that will make you stand out from the rest as an Actuary?   Answer Question

Underwriting Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Chubb Corp.

Interview

The interview process is very detailed and took a number of months. I applied around 3-4 months prior to getting a response to the job post. By the time I got the job post I - on one day - had to be interviewed with 4 individuals. This is customary with Chubb interviews. Each interviewee took 30 mins to a hour and ranged from totally intense to very relaxed. Later I learned that that all discussed the questions asked and how I responded in each interview before making the final decision. After this point it took a month before I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• It's the end of the day and you are set to head out but you get a call from a broker asking for you to process a rush request what do you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was pretty straight forward. The hr person was up front from the start as was I.

Underwriting Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Chubb Corp (Denver, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

Met with four people. Wasn't very difficult. Very relaxed. Brought me in to the office,
    Met with different office heads. Got called back in a week later. The offices were nice. Took a long time. Several months with a lot of time in between contact with office.

Interview Questions

• What's one challenge that you were able to over come and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Insurance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Chubb Corp in October 2014.

Interview

The process is long and drawn out, which seemed to be due to a lack of organization. I sent in my resume and I received an email 11 days later about setting up phone interview. The phone interview was set up for 2 days later. The phone interview went well and the interviewer said she would recommend the company set up a face to face interview for me. She said someone will let me know if they want to proceed with the interviewing. I was thinking I would get a response in a few days. I called Chubb after 2 weeks and they said I was still being considered, but things just must be slow. After 3 weeks I had given up. I then got an email or call (don't remember) to set up the face to face. The face to face happened about a month after the phone interview.
    I went through that. I feel like I usually can tell with people if they liked me or not. I didn't have the best feeling, but I didn't have the worst feeling either. I felt like I answered the questions well, but I didn't feel like I really bonded with either interviewer very well. I have experience though, and if it was about substance, and not about being best friends, I think it went excellent. Since the process dragged on, I asked both interviewers about how long before I would hear back, and they said they had interviews the following week and I should expect something in about 2 weeks. I heard nothing, so I sent follow up emails for the next month. They never responded to anything I sent. After 1 month, the writing was on the wall, but I continued following up for a few weeks to try to force them to acknowledge me, but to no avail. I took a day off to meet them, took the time to send a thank you email and about 6 follow up emails (not in an overbearing way, just after about a weeks times). The tone of email was always friendly and sincere, even though I started to get frustrated after the third one. IT's been 3 months, and they have never even bothered to say the position was filled or anything. I thought this company was supposed to be top notch, but I found them unorganized and pretty unprofessional with my short experience. I'd never interview with them again.

Staff Accountant Interview

Interview

The recruiter contacted me to schedule a phone interview. It was about 30 minutes total with about 5 questions with time at the end for me to ask questions. The conversation was with a recruiter who then forwards the information to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to convey an important message to someone you know.   Answer Question

Underwriter Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

I originally interviewed for a Specialty Underwriting Associate position in New York. I received feedback that I did very well but did not receive an offer. I applied for the Underwriter Associate I position immediately after not receiving an offer for the Specialty Underwriting Associate position and asked my recruiter to pass my information along to the hiring manager of the Underwriter Associate I position.

In contrast to the previous position's overly-lengthy interviewing process that took over a month from start to finish, the interviewing process for this position went very quickly and was far more efficient.

A week after submitting my information to the hiring manager, I was scheduled for a single day of interviewing with 3 people of various position titles. Overall, the process lasted ~2 hours and the employees and Chubb were thoroughly professional during the process. I received an offer only 3 days later and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your understanding of the underwriting process.
      Tell me any factors you think might be considered for the underwriting process of a new line.

Answer Question

Negotiation

I received a competitive offer from The Hartford for an extremely similar position that I could've used to negotiate, but I feel like I somewhat undersold myself because I did not use this offer to negotiate with Chubb, since my preference was to work for Chubb. Both positions were entry-level and my thought process was that I did not want to build contempt for attempting to negotiate a better offer for an entry-level position.