Chubb Corp

3.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Underwriter Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp in September 2014.

I originally interviewed for a Specialty Underwriting Associate position in New York. I received feedback that I did very well but did not receive an offer. I applied for the Underwriter Associate I position immediately after not receiving an offer for the Specialty Underwriting Associate position and asked my recruiter to pass my information along to the hiring manager of the Underwriter Associate I position.

In contrast to the previous position's overly-lengthy interviewing process that took over a month from start to finish, the interviewing process for this position went very quickly and was far more efficient.

A week after submitting my information to the hiring manager, I was scheduled for a single day of interviewing with 3 people of various position titles. Overall, the process lasted ~2 hours and the employees and Chubb were thoroughly professional during the process. I received an offer only 3 days later and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your understanding of the underwriting process.
      Tell me any factors you think might be considered for the underwriting process of a new line.

Answer Question
    I received a competitive offer from The Hartford for an extremely similar position that I could've used to negotiate, but I feel like I somewhat undersold myself because I did not use this offer to negotiate with Chubb, since my preference was to work for Chubb. Both positions were entry-level and my thought process was that I did not want to build contempt for attempting to negotiate a better offer for an entry-level position.

Commercial Underwriting Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Chubb Corp in September 2013.

It started with a phone interview that was fairly basic, your average phone interview. About two months (!) later I was brought in for the first round of in-person interviewing which was 5, 30 minute interviews each of which was with different HR or Management administrators. All of them asked mainly basic questions such as when was a time you worked with a team to come to a solution? or what is a time you had to negotiate? There was also a writing sample where you have to answer what the role of an underwriter is and what experience you have that is applicable to it. The second round of in-person interviewing was another 6, 30-minute interviews with branch managers from other cities. Similar questions, but some were more direct to insurance and underwriting.

Interview Questions
    • How will you sell your insurance or company to someone who doesn't think they need insurance? How will you separate yourself from other businesses?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp in April 2012.

Phone interview first with an HR rep, then an in-person interview with the department head

Personal Lines Underwriter Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chubb Corp in April 2010.

The first round of interviews involved 4 different 1:1 interviews in one day, ach lasting 30 minutes. The second round of interviews involved 2 1:1 interviews with upper management and Human Resources. They are looking for people that are able to provide excellent customer service under sometimes difficult circumstances. If you can display perserverance, customer service savvy, and a willingness to learn the trade, you'll be fine. AND BE ON TIME !!!