Ciena

Relevance Date Difficulty

FPGA Verification Engineer Interview

FPGA Verification Engineer
Alpharetta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ciena in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interview with several people. Interviewed all morning, followed by lunch, then another round of interview in the afternoon. After the interview was finished i was given a tour of the facility. After the tour i was sent home and was contacted 3 weeks later.

Interview Question – Mostly asked basic digital design questions. Draw a sequential circuit, what is the makeup of an FPGA (LE, Registers etc), Draw a mod 10 counter, draw the schematic for a half adder. Once i drew the schematic for it i was then ask to draw it as if i had only NAND gates.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Ciena.

Interview Details – I been contacted by a recruiter a day or so after submitting my application and we scheduled for a phone interview for a couple days later. In the meantime, I studied up like crazy on the company, practiced mock interviews, etc. I also moved some one of my own meetings out of the way, since the interview had already been pushed back once by the recruiter. About an hour prior to the interview starting, I received an e-mail stating that they were cancelling the interview and that I was not going to be considered for the position any further because the hiring manager had identified their top two candidates.

I'm a realist and I know that a job offer is not a guarantee when you're so early on in the process. However, I've never experienced an interview process like that before and was, to put it mildly, justifiably upset at not having even had the chance to interview after all the prep work I had put in.

Senior Field/Test Engineer Interview

Senior Field/Test Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Ciena in April 2012.

Interview Details – Transittioned from Nortel Networks

Interview Question – No questions asked. My qualifications came with me from Nortel   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ciena.

Interview Details – Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Negotiation Details – Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
Linthicum, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ciena in May 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by HR for initial phone screen and then came in for inperson interview with supervisor and manager in the department

Interview Question – why do you want to work for ciena, questions about prior work history   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they made an offer and i negotiated based on my experience and what i had to offer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ciena in October 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call from the Hiring manager for short 30 mins call and later went into detailed technical interview rounds

Interview Question – Reverse a BST   Answer Question

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
North Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ciena in March 2009.

Interview Details – Competitive and comprehensive.

Interview Question – Algorithms.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy.

Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ciena in January 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted online and was called after a wk. Interview was setup next week. Asked questions about linked list(addition, race condition) and then breadth first traversal couldn't get it fully then went through the other interviewers and then didn't get offer.

Interview Question – Do breadth first traversal of BST   Answer Question

Alpharetta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ciena in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied Online, Phone screen followed by 5 round in-person interview

Interview Question – virtual destructors
c++ inheritance
singleton class
pipe
semaphore
mutex
strlen

call by value, call by reference
break continue
pure virtual functions
virtual base class
linked list - add a node
hashes
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Hanover, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ciena in June 2009.

Interview Details – They tend to like starting people out as 1 year contractors and then full time afterwards. They are honest about it though.

Interview Question – None, the interview was super easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR on the phone. They pretended that I asked for too much money but gave it to me anyway.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ciena

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!