Ciena

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.9

Field Project Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ciena.

Received a call from the company's recruiter few weeks after applying online. She scheduled a flight for me to meet with the Hiring Manager at an airport. It was very laid back, manager did not ask anything technical.

Anonymous Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ciena.

I been contacted by a recruiter a day or so after submitting my application and we scheduled for a phone interview for a couple days later. In the meantime, I studied up like crazy on the company, practiced mock interviews, etc. I also moved some one of my own meetings out of the way, since the interview had already been pushed back once by the recruiter. About an hour prior to the interview starting, I received an e-mail stating that they were cancelling the interview and that I was not going to be considered for the position any further because the hiring manager had identified their top two candidates.

I'm a realist and I know that a job offer is not a guarantee when you're so early on in the process. However, I've never experienced an interview process like that before and was, to put it mildly, justifiably upset at not having even had the chance to interview after all the prep work I had put in.

FPGA Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ciena in March 2014.

Interview with several people. Interviewed all morning, followed by lunch, then another round of interview in the afternoon. After the interview was finished i was given a tour of the facility. After the tour i was sent home and was contacted 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly asked basic digital design questions. Draw a sequential circuit, what is the makeup of an FPGA (LE, Registers etc), Draw a mod 10 counter, draw the schematic for a half adder. Once i drew the schematic for it i was then ask to draw it as if i had only NAND gates.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ciena.

Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ciena in October 2013.

I received a call from the Hiring manager for short 30 mins call and later went into detailed technical interview rounds

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ciena.

I was contacted by a company recruiter about 3 weeks after applying online. I got through the initial phone interview (to which the recruiter was over an hour late) in about 15 minutes. There were nothing but questions about my resume. I came at this experienced but from another field of telecom. This was an entry-level position, a point emphasized over and over. I was a few years out of college of course.

My motivation was that I saw this as a way of getting into another field of telecom since I was not satisfied with my current industry.

The salary was abysmal. It was mid 50s with potential sales bonus (since this is a pre-sales job). I initially asked for much more before being told what they were willing to offer. I have pre-sales experience so the only training, I would think, would be learning Ciena's product catalog. Seemed like the pay was non-negotiable. It was less than my current job's salary.

From the conversation, promotions seems to based on seniority not merit.

The salary and promotions policy alone made this whole deal unattractive, but I let the recruiter push my resume forward anyway.

The hiring manager did not want a follow-up interview, so my candidacy was rejected.

Given my original concerns, I didn't give the rejection a second thought.

Solutions Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ciena in September 2012.

First interview was with HR, very low key and no difficult questions. Next step were two separate follow-up interviews with the department manager as well as the department director. The department director´s interview was very thorough, detailed and you got asked a good few questions on how you would handle different situations. The interview with the director included a few of the typical interview questions. The final interview was with someone that had previously held a similar position with the firm and that was more on a personality level than anything else.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell me about yourself that´s not on your resume.   Answer Question

Senior Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ciena in June 2012.

I contacted the recruiter via LinkedIn and got an interview call. I first had a phone interview with the hiring manager and then was called over for a 1:1 interview. The on-site interview consisted of 6 rounds and one of it was through video conferencing and the other was a group interview with 5 people. The interview was very technical with questions mostly about various L2/L3 protocols. I was expected to know the packet format for almost all protocols. A lot of questions on QoS and how it can be tested. A lot of questions on iTest automation tool. Some basic testing questions like how will you come up with a test plan, how will file a defect, most difficult/complicated issue that you've found etc. The entire team was very friendly and the work culture was great. Would have loved to join them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the packet format for PBB, PB, IPv6, IPv4, Ethernet along with the size of each field   View Answer

The offer was very less compared to other offers.

Senior Field/Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Ciena in April 2012.

Transittioned from Nortel Networks

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked. My qualifications came with me from Nortel   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ciena in March 2012.

If you are fluent in C and basic of Data structures and algorithms, and have knowledge about fundamentals of OS, the interview process should be a piece of cake.

If you have worked previously or have good networking knowledge it will be a plus.

Interview Questions
    • Try to find the Least Common Ancestor in a binary tree.   Answer Question