Ciena

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ciena in January 2012.

Submitted online and was called after a wk. Interview was setup next week. Asked questions about linked list(addition, race condition) and then breadth first traversal couldn't get it fully then went through the other interviewers and then didn't get offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ciena in September 2011.

Applied Online, Phone screen followed by 5 round in-person interview

Interview Questions
    • virtual destructors
      c++ inheritance
      singleton class
      pipe
      semaphore
      mutex
      strlen

call by value, call by reference
      break continue
      pure virtual functions
      virtual base class
      linked list - add a node
      hashes

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Spokane Valley, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Spokane Valley, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ciena in September 2010.

Started of over the phone with a discussion with the manager of the team i was interviewing for.
    Was called over a few weeks later for an onsite interview. Asked a few basic java concepts, Linked List implementation, DB concepts and was grilled on Operating systems

Interview Questions
    No negotiation done from my side.

Senior SQA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ciena in August 2010.

Three people interviewed me over the phone. The director, hiring manager and lead engineerl Mostly ethernet basics type of questions. Directory said up front she wasn't technical. This took me back for an engineering directory to say. They made me an offer that was equal to Silicon Velley wage in Spokane and paid relocation expenses. IN hind site, having a technical director that wasn't technical was a bad idea and caused problems due to lack of understanding of the tasks assigned

Interview Questions
    • How does PBT work? Explain Spanning Tree   View Answer
    simple, made offer, took about a week and relocation expnses covered

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ciena in May 2010.

Applied online and was contacted by HR for initial phone screen and then came in for inperson interview with supervisor and manager in the department

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to work for ciena, questions about prior work history   Answer Question
    they made an offer and i negotiated based on my experience and what i had to offer

Learning Solutions Business Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ciena in February 2010.

It appeared that the interviewer was unclear about the basic qualifications for the position.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ciena in June 2009.

They tend to like starting people out as 1 year contractors and then full time afterwards. They are honest about it though.

Interview Questions
    HR on the phone. They pretended that I asked for too much money but gave it to me anyway.

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ciena in March 2009.

Competitive and comprehensive.

Easy.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum Heights, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum Heights, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ciena in July 2008.

I was contacted by a recruiter about the job opening. The recruiter collected my CV and cover letter. Did not hear anything back for a couple weeks. Then, I was called back by the recruiter who indicated the company wanted me to come for an in-person interview. The interview day consisted of a series of 1-on-1 and 1-on-2. Interviews consisted of mostly work-history related questions and many opportunities to find out about what the job requires. There were no behavioral questions. The process was very low stress. I should add that it was for a rather small group within the organization.

Interview Questions
    • [paraphrasing] How do you handle multiple deadlines and requirements when you don't have enough time for all of them?   View Answer
    I did this through the negotiator. They met my initial target salary that I stated to the recruiter. I was able to stretch my starting date a week out (I had wanted to push out it 2 weeks more) and that was the extent of my negotiation.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ciena in August 2014.

I got a call from a consultant and telephonic was scheduled. But since I got urgent meeting on the day of interview, I requested consultant to postpone it by 1 hour. Consultant said yes and then he called back saying, its cancelled and you can go to ITC windsor, in Bangalore where they all will be coming in for interview [one day process] and after Core Java interview, your Big Data telephonic will be conducted.

Next day, when telephonic was cancelled, I get a call from Ciena for the interview. I said, I was informed its cancelled. Interviewer said, Oh I was not informed and hung up.

Saturday 3 August 2014, I went for the interview. Time was 11 but I reached early at 10 and was the first one to get interview. Mr. Rajendra Singh took my interview and according to me Interview went really really well. I was pretty much confident that I will clear this round and have to give Big Data Telephonic round now. Interview questions were more of discussing Cassandra, Apache Storm, Multi threading questions, Gave one scenario to design Vending machine and write singleton pattern etc. I answered all and correct because when you are correct you know it and even I am 8.6 years experienced resource who take Interview. Overall, it was a confident and to be cleared interview.

After the interview I was told to wait outside. I was made to wait for 40+ minutes outside and the interview walked in and out of the hall and HRs too busy doing their work. After some time, another guy, might be another manager, walked in to interview room and came back after 15 minutes and murmured something with a new HR guy and HR guy came to me and asked me to leave as they were dome for the day and I will get feedback on Monday or Tuesday.

I sensed something wrong there, because technically that Interview was not to be rejected one. If they say, It was profile mismatch, why they wasted my time and theirs by calling me there and Interviewers for wasting 1.5 hours asking questions on which they might have decided it was a profile mismatch.

I contacted consultant and he said he got technical reject feedback. I was shocked to know this feedback because none of the guys who are in Java can reject that Interview until or unless they have someone else to be hired. Total Corrupt.

Meanwhile I read their reviews on Mouthshut and got to know it is one of the most process less company.