Ciena

Ciena Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ciena.

Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Other Interview Reviews for Ciena

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ciena in January 2012.

Submitted online and was called after a wk. Interview was setup next week. Asked questions about linked list(addition, race condition) and then breadth first traversal couldn't get it fully then went through the other interviewers and then didn't get offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ciena in September 2011.

Applied Online, Phone screen followed by 5 round in-person interview

Interview Questions
    • virtual destructors
      c++ inheritance
      singleton class
      pipe
      semaphore
      mutex
      strlen

call by value, call by reference
      break continue
      pure virtual functions
      virtual base class
      linked list - add a node
      hashes

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Spokane Valley, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Spokane Valley, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ciena in September 2010.

Started of over the phone with a discussion with the manager of the team i was interviewing for.
    Was called over a few weeks later for an onsite interview. Asked a few basic java concepts, Linked List implementation, DB concepts and was grilled on Operating systems

Interview Questions
    No negotiation done from my side.

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview and an in-person interview. The phone interview was very straightforward and contained mostly questions about past job experiences and projects. The in-person interview was more of an extension of that, followed by a technical quiz and behavioural questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of where you were in a team environment and you had a conflict with one of your team members, and how you solved that conflict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ciena in April 2013.

The interview lasts about a hour. The interviewer asks all questions related with my resume. Every project I've done. Also there are two managers who interviewed me. They asked questions alternatively. At the end of the interview, one of them took me to the lab for a tour.

Interview Questions
    • what is the biggest conflict between you and the team you stayed?   Answer Question

Multiple Rounds
    Algorithm specific questions

Negotiation happened.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ciena in June 2011.

Aptitude test
    2 Technical interview
    Hr interview

NA

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ciena in August 2010.

Started off with a phone interview. Got selected and was asked for a 1:1 interview. Had 3 rounds of technical discussions followed by HR. Technical rounds were good. Stress was more on overall knowledge and coding skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

The process took a weekinterviewed at Ciena in September 2009.

I got a call from the HR Recruiter from Ciena asking me to come for an interview after 2 days.
    I was interviewed by the manager and a software engineer. All the questions during the interview were asked by the software engineer and I answered them correctly. Actually I started dominating the software engineer and I believe that is why he didn;t recommend me for the position. The manager just sat there and listened while I did most of the talking.

Interview Questions
    • Can you use semophores / mutexes in an interrupt handler?   Answer Question