Ciena

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ciena.

Interview Details – Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Negotiation Details – Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ciena in January 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted online and was called after a wk. Interview was setup next week. Asked questions about linked list(addition, race condition) and then breadth first traversal couldn't get it fully then went through the other interviewers and then didn't get offer.

Interview Question – Do breadth first traversal of BST   Answer Question

Alpharetta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ciena in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied Online, Phone screen followed by 5 round in-person interview

Interview Question – virtual destructors
c++ inheritance
singleton class
pipe
semaphore
mutex
strlen

call by value, call by reference
break continue
pure virtual functions
virtual base class
linked list - add a node
hashes
  Answer Question

City of Spokane Valley, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ciena in September 2010.

Interview Details – Started of over the phone with a discussion with the manager of the team i was interviewing for.
Was called over a few weeks later for an onsite interview. Asked a few basic java concepts, Linked List implementation, DB concepts and was grilled on Operating systems

Interview Question – OS concepts   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation done from my side.

Interviewed at Ciena

Interview Details – A phone interview and an in-person interview. The phone interview was very straightforward and contained mostly questions about past job experiences and projects. The in-person interview was more of an extension of that, followed by a technical quiz and behavioural questions.

Interview Question – Give me an example of where you were in a team environment and you had a conflict with one of your team members, and how you solved that conflict.   Answer Question

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ciena in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview lasts about a hour. The interviewer asks all questions related with my resume. Every project I've done. Also there are two managers who interviewed me. They asked questions alternatively. At the end of the interview, one of them took me to the lab for a tour.

Interview Question – what is the biggest conflict between you and the team you stayed?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Ciena

Interview Details – Multiple Rounds
Algorithm specific questions

Interview Question – Design an Automatic Vending Machine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation happened.

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Ciena in June 2011.

Interview Details – Aptitude test
2 Technical interview
Hr interview

Interview Question – sorting a linked list   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NA

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ciena in August 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with a phone interview. Got selected and was asked for a 1:1 interview. Had 3 rounds of technical discussions followed by HR. Technical rounds were good. Stress was more on overall knowledge and coding skills.

Interview Question – what all u dont know??   Answer Question

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ciena in September 2009.

Interview Details – I got a call from the HR Recruiter from Ciena asking me to come for an interview after 2 days.
I was interviewed by the manager and a software engineer. All the questions during the interview were asked by the software engineer and I answered them correctly. Actually I started dominating the software engineer and I believe that is why he didn;t recommend me for the position. The manager just sat there and listened while I did most of the talking.

Interview Question – Can you use semophores / mutexes in an interrupt handler?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ciena

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!