Ciena Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

The interview process is unprofessional I think. They booked the flight for my onsite, the round trip and interview were in one day. I don't have time for the lunch during the whole interview day.
After the interview, they didn't give me any response to tell me I was rejected or not.
Months later, I suddenly receive offer from them. But after that, no response any more, even I emailed them to ask about this. And several weeks later, I was told that the they consider other candidates and the offer does not count.....

Interview Questions

• background skills, projects you have been working on. The technique questions related with the role   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ciena

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ciena.

Interview

Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Negotiation

Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Submitted online and was called after a wk. Interview was setup next week. Asked questions about linked list(addition, race condition) and then breadth first traversal couldn't get it fully then went through the other interviewers and then didn't get offer.

Interview Questions

• Do breadth first traversal of BST   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2011.

Interview

Applied Online, Phone screen followed by 5 round in-person interview

Interview Questions

• virtual destructors
      c++ inheritance
      singleton class
      pipe
      semaphore
      mutex
      strlen

call by value, call by reference
      break continue
      pure virtual functions
      virtual base class
      linked list - add a node
      hashes

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Spokane Valley, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Ciena (City of Spokane Valley, WA) in September 2010.

Interview

Started of over the phone with a discussion with the manager of the team i was interviewing for.
    Was called over a few weeks later for an onsite interview. Asked a few basic java concepts, Linked List implementation, DB concepts and was grilled on Operating systems

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation done from my side.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ciena (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Senior Manager contacted through email after submitting my resume in university career fair. Scheduled a telephonic interview for an hour. Went through every detail in my resume, previous experience, courses/projects taken etc.Then I was called for face to face interview. Its was very relax ed and more like conversation. Again focusing on projects done in university.

Interview Questions

• They also asked questions on abstraction, singleton also stressed on design pattern and simple behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A phone interview and an in-person interview. The phone interview was very straightforward and contained mostly questions about past job experiences and projects. The in-person interview was more of an extension of that, followed by a technical quiz and behavioural questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of where you were in a team environment and you had a conflict with one of your team members, and how you solved that conflict.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ciena (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview lasts about a hour. The interviewer asks all questions related with my resume. Every project I've done. Also there are two managers who interviewed me. They asked questions alternatively. At the end of the interview, one of them took me to the lab for a tour.

Interview Questions

• what is the biggest conflict between you and the team you stayed?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Multiple Rounds
    Algorithm specific questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation happened.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Ciena (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in June 2011.

Interview

Aptitude test
    2 Technical interview
    Hr interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NA