Cigna

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Service Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hartford, CT
Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Cigna in November 2011.

I got the first round interview through my college's career website. The interviewers--there were three, a senior leader and two current SLP associates--were very friendly people. Questions weren't difficult, but make sure that you HIGHLIGHT your LEADERSHIP experiences. Also, make sure you're friendly and conversational. Be genuine. I think this is what made me advance to second rounds, not necessarily what was on my resume.

Second round interviews are held at HQ in Hartford, CT. You're flown in, all expenses paid, and stay at a hotel for one night for a networking dinner. Be sociable, outgoing, and make sure you have good questions to ask senior leaders. NOTE: during second round, they'll mainly be testing how well you fit into the company culture. So, again, make sure you've done your homework, and make an effort to be social with senior leaders, current SLP associates AND with other SLP candidates.

The morning after the networking dinner, you're taken to Cigna and are split up into teams. Interviews then start throughout the day, along with a building tour, lunch and a casual panel discussion. You will have three 1:1 interviews with senior management, then one group case study with your assigned team. The case is super ambiguous, so there's no way you can prepare for it. You either excel at problem solving via group dynamics, or you don't. That's what they're testing.

Culture-wise, Cigna is going through a ton of changes, so be prepared for that. The people seem genuine and friendly. They seem to really believe in the company mission. Cigna's building is the epitome of cubicle culture, though, so if you're looking for something creative and exciting, you won't find it here (come on, they're an insurance company).

At HQ, there's a gym, a big cafeteria, a small library, and a health center "in case you work in a call center and your blood pressure gets high." Yeah, the building tour guide/former SLP associate actually said that. Oops? If that's not a warning I dunno what it is.

Also, if working in a bustling metropolitan city is what you want in a career, you won't find it at Cigna. They purposefully place you in obscure, often rural locations where you'll really be out of your comfort zone.

Though the company and people seem great, I realized midway through interviews that I was no longer interested in the SLP (as fate would have it, I was rejected anyway). It wasn't an appealing way to start a career. But, that’s just me. If you’re interested in/passionate about healthcare, go for it. If you’re all about customer service, then this job is definitely for you.

Overall, show off your leadership qualities--not arrogance--and be friendly, confident and people-oriented.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cigna

Service Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Cigna in October 2009.

I had an interview on campus. It was with the program director and two newer employees who had graduated from my school. They began by telling me about the program. Then, they basically just had me talk through my resume while highlighting areas of leadership. A few situational questions as well. Nice people. Make sure you have some leadership experience (through clubs, job experience or school) to talk about, because I think that's one of the main reasons I was not selected.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!