Cigna

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cigna in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initial contact was with a recruiter after which point I was invited into the office to interview with my direct manager and an associate. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and I was contacted a week later to interview with the department head. Their interview was a bit more in depth but was shorter, just 20 minutes or so.

Interview Question – Describe the biggest disappointment in your career.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I may have been able to negotiate but I was unprepared and accepted the first offer.

Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cigna in November 2013.

Interview Details – It was a 4 stage interview all in one day. You will meet with 2 senior underwriters, then 2 separate panels of underwriters at that location. Typical interview questions, but be ready for the problem solving and analytical questions. The only downside was you will not be compensated for traveling expenses to come to the interview.

Interview Question – how many golf balls fit in a school bus? (not numerical, rather problem solving and seeing how detailed you will answer)

You have a 3 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon bucket. You need to get exactly 4 gallons of water in the 5 gallon bucket by only using the two buckets given. How do you do this?
  Answer Question

Overland Park, KS

I applied online - interviewed at Cigna in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website. Had a 30 minute phone interview, which were mostly behavioral questions. That went well and I heard back about a week later about a second interview in their office. The second interview started with a presentation about the Underwriting Program followed by three 30 minute panel interviews with members of their underwriting team.

Interview Question – How many golf balls fit in a school bus?   Answer Question

Underwriter

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cigna.

Interview Details – Got it through campus. Asked what I knew about Cigna and underwriting (expecting that I did my due diligence), several behavioral questions such as a time I missed a deadline, a time there was a group conflict, time i needed to simplify and present complicated information and then a series of math questions that were basic percents and fractions and averages with some tough numbers in your head.

Interview Question – A time when conversation and productivity was heavily disrupted   View Answer

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cigna in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very straight forward with a combination of behavioral questions and logic questions

Interview Question – What are the important chracteristics for a leader to have?   Answer Question

Underwriter

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cigna in October 2011.

Interview Details – Asked about whether I was proficient with Microsoft Excel. I replied I was and then they explained a situation regarding Excel and asked what function I would use. The answer was the v-lookup function. They also some basic math questions. Overall, the interview was not very difficult.

Interview Question – Explained Excel situation and then asked what function I should use.   View Answer

Underwriter

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Cigna in November 2011.

Interview Details – I received a call from a Cigna recruiter out of Chattanooga that just asked why I wanted to leave my current job. My reply was that I liked the job path that was listed on the web site. The recruiter replied "so you are not interested in the Underwriting position at all then?" Of course my response was no, it was just that I appreciated the opportunities the company had to offer. I was told that my information was going to be forwarded to a hiring manager only to get an e-mailed response from the same recruiter who said they were going with candidates whose qualifications closely met the requirements. My qualifications exceeded what was posted on their site. I was really disappointed that they lied to me and made a bad assumption off of one question.

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your job?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cigna

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!

Cigna Videos

Cigna – Why Work for Us?

More than just a health insurance company Cigna is a global health service company,dedicated to helping the people we serve improve their health, well-being and sense of security. As a health care insurance provider… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cigna Underwriter interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cigna employees and interview candidates.