Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.9

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

On line application and one on one interview with PI. Worked with science recruiter on positions that were available. Good HR department that helps with in house jobs for both Horizontal moves and promotions.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

At the highest levels, you may have to interview with many, many people - often with a panel. Be knowledgeable about the organization and its history as a word-class pediatric medical center. Appreciate the business side of medical care providers and the influence of healthcare reform. If meeting with scientists or physicians, know what they do. If you are in research and/or medical profession, know what those at CCHMC have done in that particular area. Look online and in the news. There is much there.

Interview Questions
    • Why CCHMC? Be sure to articulate why working at CCHMC is important to you. Did you have a personal connection as a parent or patient? Did you have colleagues who worked there? Do you simply marvel at the innovation and life-saving care that they provide?   Answer Question

Patient Care Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Email processes, no over the phone interviewing or offers. Interviewed first with HR which is in a building away from the hospital, was then informed with a an interview with the floor manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a conflict between your current coworkers and how you fixed or discussed it?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interview with HR, online testing, interview with manager and support people.

Health Unit Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in May 2014.

I was interviewed by the initial HR recruiter. I felt the interview went well and a couple of days later
    had an interview with the department manager. I sent thank you emails to both people who interviewed me but never heard back. I later did some research and found out the course I had taken at Cincinnati State had not been posted in the school's clearinghouse and I believe that had a bearing on me not hearing back from Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall a difficult or unexpected question. I believe the questions asked were what is to be expected in an interview.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interviewers are really nice and easy to talk to.

Quality Improvement Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

I applied online and was contacted ~2 weeks later to set up a phone interview with an HR rep. That interview was about 30 minutes and I found the HR POC to be fairly knowledgeable about the position, the department, and the organization. She was upbeat and was able to explain to me the difference between several openings within the same department. We discussed the basics of salary, growth potential, examples of my work in the needed areas, etc. She indicated I would be a good fit in more than one area. At the end of the interview she invited me for another interview via phone with one of their directors (there are 2, one for external and one for internal consulting) and said either would work since I seemed a good fit for both areas.

Via email, we confirmed date and time of the next interview, as well as the name of the person I would be interviewing with based on availability. The date/time came and went and no one called. I waited for about 45 minutes and reached out to the HR rep to ask if something had changed since no one called as she indicated they would, and heard nothing back from her. Three hours later the director called and indicated there had been a schedule snafu and asked if I could do the interview at that time (now). I said yes and we proceeded. This interview was also short and I am not sure if she was reading from a list of questions or not, but she seemed a bit short, rushed, and distracted (I heard a lot of background noise of papers moving, her chair moving, etc). She asked approximately 3 questions (Tell me about yourself, why are you interested in this job, why are you leaving your current employer, tell me about a project when XYZ). I gave her answers, she said nothing in response and I wasn't sure if she was taking notes or distracted or if she simply didn't like the answers. At the end when she asked if I had questions, I had a few and that opened the door to talk about the position more (as opposed to the pre written questions posed already) and we had a better conversation about the position's responsibilities, my areas of strenghts/weakness, etc. We ended the conversation with her telling me I would hear back by a certain date on if I was moving forward or if they were choosing another candidate.

That date came and went, I heard nothing back. I waited another week and heard nothing. I emailed the HR rep and she said they were still interviewing candidates and would get back to me within 3 weeks. To this day, I still have not gotten a response of yes/no and it has been 4.5 months. Their website still says I am under review for the given position. I consider this a customer service/applicant failure on the organization's part.

Per the early conversation I had with HR and being a good fit for additional positions, I went ahead and submitted my resume officially for those positions as well (I wasn't sure if one post accounted for multiple positions as they were in the same department and we had discussed both departments during interviews). I wrote to the HR person to let her know I applied and heard nothing back. Two months after that, they filled the position. I wasn't notified and found out by visiting their job page to follow up on both positions.

Overall, I was really excited for the opportunity to work for this company as it has a great reputation for the work done. I had been 'warned' about their HR being bad, which I didn't experience until the nonresponse towards the end of our encounter. My overall experience was very poor in terms of follow up from the HR shop and director. I would've appreciated an e mail at least, given the promise of following up within a specified timeframe. I will very likely not apply to any other positions within this hospital, due to the way they treat applicants, and would discourage colleagues from applying as well. A disappointing experience.

Registered Nurse Interview

Pretty easy- for a large facility, you need to be a little more patient in hearing back about the process.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in January 2014.

Phone interview with HR. Asked me basic questions about my resume. Asked me about my past experiences with managing employees and benefits. The woman who did the interview was very nice, but she herself did not know much about the position.

Interview Questions

Salary was not high enough.

Registered Nurse Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in December 2013.

First, I used networking contacts to locate the email of a department director. I sent her an email explaining I was extremely interested in the unit and would like to come shadow and learn more. She then emailed me back saying she would love for me to shadow, but I should just go ahead and apply online. I shadowed for 5 hours and then had an interview on the same day. I was offered a job about 3 weeks later before I even had my degree. It is most important to use contacts of people you know and to show interest in a specific department.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what are some challenges to new nurses. I was also asked what kind of role I usually assumed within a group or team and then what would happen if I was unable to fulfill that role.   Answer Question