Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Relevance Date Difficulty

Patient Care Assistant Interview

Patient Care Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interview Details – Email processes, no over the phone interviewing or offers. Interviewed first with HR which is in a building away from the hospital, was then informed with a an interview with the floor manager.

Interview Question – Tell us about a conflict between your current coworkers and how you fixed or discussed it?   Answer Question

Health Unit Coordinator Interview

Health Unit Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the initial HR recruiter. I felt the interview went well and a couple of days later
had an interview with the department manager. I sent thank you emails to both people who interviewed me but never heard back. I later did some research and found out the course I had taken at Cincinnati State had not been posted in the school's clearinghouse and I believe that had a bearing on me not hearing back from Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interview Question – I can't recall a difficult or unexpected question. I believe the questions asked were what is to be expected in an interview.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interview Details – Interview with HR, online testing, interview with manager and support people.

Interview Question – general behavioral based questions   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in May 2013.

Interview Details – Initially applied for the job in January 2013 and didn't receive a phone call from HR until April 2013. First, phone screen with HR recruiter. After that, I interviewed with both of the people who would eventually become my bosses. The first interview was very conversational and the second was the typical behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would definitely attempt to ask for more money.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interview Details – Interviewers are really nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – what challenges did you face in your project?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in February 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out the online applications with the University of Cincinnati. Then I had a telephonic and skype interview, since I was an internaitonal candidate. In addition I submitted 4 letters of reference, State of Purpose and my transcripts. My interviewers were very, very nice. They put me at ease and did not intimidate me. They were easy to talk to and asked specific questions.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Quality Improvement Consultant Interview

Quality Improvement Consultant

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted ~2 weeks later to set up a phone interview with an HR rep. That interview was about 30 minutes and I found the HR POC to be fairly knowledgeable about the position, the department, and the organization. She was upbeat and was able to explain to me the difference between several openings within the same department. We discussed the basics of salary, growth potential, examples of my work in the needed areas, etc. She indicated I would be a good fit in more than one area. At the end of the interview she invited me for another interview via phone with one of their directors (there are 2, one for external and one for internal consulting) and said either would work since I seemed a good fit for both areas.

Via email, we confirmed date and time of the next interview, as well as the name of the person I would be interviewing with based on availability. The date/time came and went and no one called. I waited for about 45 minutes and reached out to the HR rep to ask if something had changed since no one called as she indicated they would, and heard nothing back from her. Three hours later the director called and indicated there had been a schedule snafu and asked if I could do the interview at that time (now). I said yes and we proceeded. This interview was also short and I am not sure if she was reading from a list of questions or not, but she seemed a bit short, rushed, and distracted (I heard a lot of background noise of papers moving, her chair moving, etc). She asked approximately 3 questions (Tell me about yourself, why are you interested in this job, why are you leaving your current employer, tell me about a project when XYZ). I gave her answers, she said nothing in response and I wasn't sure if she was taking notes or distracted or if she simply didn't like the answers. At the end when she asked if I had questions, I had a few and that opened the door to talk about the position more (as opposed to the pre written questions posed already) and we had a better conversation about the position's responsibilities, my areas of strenghts/weakness, etc. We ended the conversation with her telling me I would hear back by a certain date on if I was moving forward or if they were choosing another candidate.

That date came and went, I heard nothing back. I waited another week and heard nothing. I emailed the HR rep and she said they were still interviewing candidates and would get back to me within 3 weeks. To this day, I still have not gotten a response of yes/no and it has been 4.5 months. Their website still says I am under review for the given position. I consider this a customer service/applicant failure on the organization's part.

Per the early conversation I had with HR and being a good fit for additional positions, I went ahead and submitted my resume officially for those positions as well (I wasn't sure if one post accounted for multiple positions as they were in the same department and we had discussed both departments during interviews). I wrote to the HR person to let her know I applied and heard nothing back. Two months after that, they filled the position. I wasn't notified and found out by visiting their job page to follow up on both positions.

Overall, I was really excited for the opportunity to work for this company as it has a great reputation for the work done. I had been 'warned' about their HR being bad, which I didn't experience until the nonresponse towards the end of our encounter. My overall experience was very poor in terms of follow up from the HR shop and director. I would've appreciated an e mail at least, given the promise of following up within a specified timeframe. I will very likely not apply to any other positions within this hospital, due to the way they treat applicants, and would discourage colleagues from applying as well. A disappointing experience.

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your current job?   View Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse

Interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Interview Details – Pretty easy- for a large facility, you need to be a little more patient in hearing back about the process.

Interview Question – Waiting time to hear about an offer- not bad, though   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant III Interview

Research Assistant III
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in January 2010.

Interview Details – Fairy quick and easy (though I've heard the recruitment process can take up to a year). I went through application to hired in less than a month.

Interview Question – What are my realistic expectations for job security considering a 5 year grant (maximum) and the nature of the economy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – "I wish I could offer you more, but this is basically what I've got."

Clinical Research Coordinator II Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator II
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in March 2010.

Interview Details – I originally interviewed as a college undergrad for an internship position on my current research study. Due to my experience during high school and college with children I was given the position on the spot and was later hired on full-time (about 6 months prior to graduating college).

Negotiation Details – Roughly 6 months before graduating from college I met with an HR associate and we discussed my compensation and benefits. He was very thorough and helpful. The negotiation process was easy for me.

Worked for Cincinnati Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!