Cincinnati Financial

Very Easy Interview

Personal Lines Underwriter Interview

Personal Lines Underwriter
Fairfield, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Cincinnati Financial in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and interviewed in January. The interview started with taking a timed test and then meeting with two hiring managers. I was interviewed by one young man who kept saying they weren't looking for experience. He also kept saying " how competitive this position was and how they were going to interview many people for these positions". I waited seven weeks for a decline notice and then the next day saw a new posting for another trainee course in May. These were for the same positions! Either this is very high turnover or they just love to interview people.
 My impression is very negative as I believe they are a "boys club" looking for young people to hire who have no experience. I hope the nine women who have a lawsuit against the male dominance in this company succeed as I see discrimination here at its finest. If you are older and more specifically older female this is not the place to apply. I knew when I walked out of the interview that I wouldn't be hired. The interview was not based on experience or aptitude. The young male hiring manager on the way out made a comment about people being " dime a dozen" since so many people were out of work now. He said he started out of college and worked his way up. I hope when this company fires him down the road due to his age that he realizes how he treated people in the past!

Interview Question – None.. If you are young and talk ball games and vacations you will be hired. Don't sell your experience as it is not valued in this company.   Answer Question

Commercial Underwriter Interview

Commercial Underwriter
Fairfield, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cincinnati Financial in December 2009.

Interview Details – thorough interviewing process, as I was called in twice and each time I met with 2-3 different people. Overall, they just want to see if you have any people skills, as they can teach you their underwriting philosophy. Just be yourself and try not to give a bunch of BS, as they are just looking for folks with a personality.

Interview Question – There really were not any unexpected questions that arose in my interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, although I would recommend doing so.

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Underwriter Trainee
Fairfield, OH

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cincinnati Financial.

Interview Details – Initially applied after finding the job listed on one of the typical job board websites that everyone searches. After submitting an application I was asked to do an assessment test based on work situations (typical behavioral stuff). They called me a week or so later and we set up an in person interview at their HQ in Fairfield.

The interviews themselves weren't hard necessarily, but they can tell if you are right for them. I ended up talking with them in actual conversation, as well as answering some of the normal situational/describe yourself questions.

Only reason my process took long was because I ended up getting referred for another trainee position in addition to the one for which I had originally interviewed.

Interview Question – Unexpected part was when I went in to interview personally at HQ in Fairfield. After I filled out a couple forms I got brought into a room and was told I would be taking the Wonderlic Test (aka- the test that football players take in the draft). Its a popular intelligence gauge, but it was definitely unexpected (and pretty cool)!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were up-front about the pay and benefits and expectations, so it was not a negotiable sort of position. That seems to be fairly typical with these trainee positions though.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underwriter Interview

Underwriter
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cincinnati Financial in January 2013.

Interview Details – The HR recruiter called me and asked me to come in to take an assessment test. There was no conversation about an interview or who I should come to meet with. I would recommend coming in with your best professional attire and resume in hand. When the recruiter came to meet with me, she was very standdoff-ish. A simple "hello and this way please" then "you will have 15 minutes to take this test" then "wait here and someone will be with you shortly." Take the last statement as there will be an interview and prepare for at least 3 people to meet with you. The first is the employee relations person then the next two are potential managers. They are the typical type questions "what do you know about underwriting, what made you interested." etc.

Interview Question – How do you think you did on the test?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The timing of the contact was very delayed. Also after going back and reviewing how Human Resources was during the interview process and that I was given limited information made me concerned on how the employees are treated in the work place. Also the pay was much less than a competitor's company.

Test Analyst Interview

Test Analyst
Fairfield, OH

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cincinnati Financial in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two people in person...not over the phone...the hiring manager and the team lead for which I was to work. They asked fair questions, typical interview questions. They were very casual which helped me relax during the process. The interview lasted less than 45 minutes. I was then shown around the work area a bit. People seemed very friendly and the work environment was not tense at all. Very pleasant, actually and the sound of laughter could be heard in nearby cubes.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was in regards to my direct experience in the financial testing arena. While I had a great deal of time in the financial arena, none of my experience would really help me. But they seemed to feel otherwise. There was also a gap in my employment, so I gave details on what I was doing during that time. There was no stress or pressure put on me at all during the questioning.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation....I either accepted or declined. It was cut and dry. This probably had to do with the fact that I came in as a contractor. There really was no negotiating since the company would only pay the contracting company a certain amount.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Actuarial Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Cincinnati Financial.

Interview Details – I sent them a resume, and they contacted me soon after. First I took a math test and then had about 4 separate interviews - first with HR, then a few different people from the actuary department and the IT department. Heard back a week later saying I got the job.

Interview Question – I was not expecting a timed math test at the beginning of the interview day.   Answer Question

Worked for Cincinnati Financial? Contribute to the Community!