Cintas

Updated Sep 24, 2014

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cintas.

Overall is was not an extremely challenging experience. They definitely follow a detailed interview process. Candidates should be prepared to answer behavioral based questions and need to dress professionally - wear a suit.

Interview Questions
  • no question stood out as being difficult, it was your basic behavioral based interview questions.   Answer Question
Did not negotiate - was happy with offer

Other Interview Reviews for Cintas

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cintas in July 2014.

Applied for HR Manager job at Cintas online. Job description was very generic - exact same description used for other HR Manager jobs at Cintas across the US. While general duties are going to be the same across the different locations, the generic description did not provide much detail into the day to day challenges and opportunities or how much time (% wise) someone might expect to spend on various HR duties. Five (5) weeks after applying, I was invited to participate in first-round phone interview with the regional HR director.

Research conducted online (at glassdoor.com and other sites) suggested that the salary range was pretty low for a HR Manager position -- around 40-60K with salaries in the very low 50's to be average. This is not a competitive salary at all for a HR Manager position (perhaps the position should be renamed something else to avoid misleading candidates??) And, the position requires 2-4 years of experience and "prefers" (but does not require) a degree which, again, is not commensurate with true HR Manager roles in large corporations. I have a graduate degree and over 10 years of HR management experience, so I suspected I might be overqualified for this role. I still agreed to participate in the interview as I wanted to learn more about the position.

Phone interview starts off with the expected question, "why are you interested in this job opportunity?" Easy question to answer -- anyone who has prepared for an interview should be able to answer this with a solid answer. The second -- yes, SECOND -- question asked was, "what are your salary expectations?" Well, gee, how about we talk about what the JOB entails before we start talking about salary?? I mean, yes, I have an idea of what I'd like to earn. But given that Cintas published a very generic job description, and uses the EXACT SAME generic job description for ALL HR Manager positions across the good ol' US, I truly had no idea if this particular position is a very labor-intensive one, if it's a totally easy job, what area(s) the HR Manager would be spending most of his/her time on, etc. As a job candidate, I may be willing to accept a lower salary than what I am currently making, or I may expect a salary within or even above my preferred ballpark -- it really depends on what I'm being asked to do. My response to that question was, "I expect to be compensated for my experience and expertise in alignment with the job responsibilities. I'd like to learn more about the specific job responsibilities in order to accurately assess what my expectations are for compensation." It was very obvious that the interviewer didn't like that response. Interviewer uttered a response that I perceived to be a defensive response. So I asked what the salary range for the position was, just so I could have an idea if we're talking about a job in the 40's, 50's, 60's, etc. The interviewer refused to tell me the range. I have no idea why the range is such a secret, but whatever. So, needless to say, things went south at that point. Interviewer went on to say that there's very high turnover at the location and the HR Manager is responsible for recruiting, hiring, and retaining unskilled labor. Interviewer estimated that about 40-50% of the job currently deals with recruiting unskilled labor and said "this is a very challenging job" as the particular location currently does not have enough labor to run the business efficiently. The HR Manager is tasked with handling all HR functions and ensuring that they have all positions filled so they can run their operations.

So -- I got clarification on what the job does at that particular Cintas location. It is not something I'm interested in doing, so the job was not a good fit for me professionally.

On the plus side, it does sound like Cintas (corporate) has an impressive HR training program in-house -- lots of opportunity for training, networking, etc.

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the interviewer or the interviewer's attitude (expected much more from someone who is supposedly in a HR director role).

I followed-up by sending the interview an email: "thanks for your time. I'd like to withdraw from further consideration as I don't think this position is a good fit for me following our discussion. I wish you the best in filing this position."

FYI -- two months after my initial application, I noticed that the position is still posted (it's showing up on my HR feeds as a recently posted opportunity, so it's clear they are still recruiting and/or refreshing the posting in an effort to try to find SOMEONE wiling to do this job for (presumably) a pretty low salary.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations? This was the SECOND question asked. See my review and advice to candidates.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cintas in November 2013.

Asked basic situational questions. Very friendly relaxed interview.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to give lots of examples. Had to recall quickly many different scenarios of troubleshooting problems. Difficult if you worked in a structured environment in the padt without alot of problems.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Cintas in February 2013.

Interviewed with the HR Director after hours in a hotel lobby.

Interview Questions
    Disappointing. Took a cut in pay, and lost vacation time.

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cintas in February 2013.

I was first contacted by the incumbent HR Manager via LinkedIn to ask if I would be interested in this opportunity with the company; after looking into the job description, we set up a phone interview to talk about the position more in detail.

The phone interview was pretty basic, just inquiring about my background, describing the position, and asking a few behavioral questions. A week later I met on-site with the Plant Manager for a tour and second interview.

The second interview was all behavior-based questions again, and went very well. I was then shown around the plant and always was open to asking questions about Cintas, the plant, and the position.

I was invited for a third interview a week leader with the Regional HR Manager; again, behavioral-based questions, and this one was pretty brief, seeing as I had two people answer most of my questions before this point.

Since I was the first person they interviewed, it was several weeks before I heard from them again, and I was invited to lunch by my first two interviewers to re-engage with me/ask any lingering questions. I was pretty hopeful at this point, since the meeting was pretty personal.

A week later I received a rejection e-mail, and was a bit disappointed investing two months into the process, but overall it was a pretty positive experience.

I was told by the second interviewer that the way the Cintas interview process is set up, the managers do not speak about candidates between interviews, so the final decision is when they all collaborate together to chose the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to utilize your network to achieve an objective.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilroy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilroy, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cintas in April 2009.

Cintas-Gilroy prefers to conduct the initial screening 1:1 rather than over the phone. Even though it was a 40 mile trip, I appreciated getting face time. I met with the Plant Manager who read behavioral questions from a booklet. He did not appear to have my resume. I received a phone call later the same day to schedule another 1:1 the following week with the General Manager and Service Manager. The Service Manager did not have my resume either, seemingly by design. He was pleasant but there was little chit-chat and he also read questions from a booklet. I was then escorted to the General Manager. Very nice gentleman with more personality than the previous 2. Once again, he read behavioral questions from booklet 3. I received a phone call later in the day to schedule interviews with the Regional VP and Regional HR Director and a Plant Manager from another location. On the day of the interviews, the out of state executive’s flight was delayed. As a result, the interview appeared to be shortened. The Plant Manager read behavioral questions from his booklet and then there was a brief exchange of general questions and conversation. I felt it went well.
    I found Cintas very communicative during the process. That is until the very end. As I left the final round of interviews with the executives, I was told they hoped to make a decision within 24 – 48 hours. I failed to ask if they would communicate either way. I have not received a phone call, email or letter to date. Obviously I didn’t get the position. It left a bad taste in my mouth that, after having driven a total of 240 miles for the interview process, I wasn’t given the consideration of any notice what-so-ever. Sadly, this seems to be the norm these days.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cintas in August 2010.

It is a long interview process because they want to hire the best person and best fit for the position.

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cintas in June 2010.

Was called by a recruiter who conducted an extensive phone screen that had situational questions. Was told that I would receive a call back within the next two weeks if I match their qualifications--got a call back in a couple days and was scheduled for an interview which I was told would last 3 hours. When I got there, I was greeted by the recruiter who called me, who talked to me about any questions that I had and then gave me a tour of the facility--he explained that all associates coming on board would have to go through a 3 week training where I would work in all capacities. After the tour I met with two general managers separately. Both asked situational and behavioral questions--"tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation in a team" " tell me about a time that you made a mistake and how did you handle it" and questions similar to that. It was long and the questions became very similar.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a difficult situation with a team?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you made a mistake and how did you handle it?   Answer Question