Cintas Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014
Updated Sep 24, 2014

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cintas in July 2014.

Applied for HR Manager job at Cintas online. Job description was very generic - exact same description used for other HR Manager jobs at Cintas across the US. While general duties are going to be the same across the different locations, the generic description did not provide much detail into the day to day challenges and opportunities or how much time (% wise) someone might expect to spend on various HR duties. Five (5) weeks after applying, I was invited to participate in first-round phone interview with the regional HR director.

Research conducted online (at glassdoor.com and other sites) suggested that the salary range was pretty low for a HR Manager position -- around 40-60K with salaries in the very low 50's to be average. This is not a competitive salary at all for a HR Manager position (perhaps the position should be renamed something else to avoid misleading candidates??) And, the position requires 2-4 years of experience and "prefers" (but does not require) a degree which, again, is not commensurate with true HR Manager roles in large corporations. I have a graduate degree and over 10 years of HR management experience, so I suspected I might be overqualified for this role. I still agreed to participate in the interview as I wanted to learn more about the position.

Phone interview starts off with the expected question, "why are you interested in this job opportunity?" Easy question to answer -- anyone who has prepared for an interview should be able to answer this with a solid answer. The second -- yes, SECOND -- question asked was, "what are your salary expectations?" Well, gee, how about we talk about what the JOB entails before we start talking about salary?? I mean, yes, I have an idea of what I'd like to earn. But given that Cintas published a very generic job description, and uses the EXACT SAME generic job description for ALL HR Manager positions across the good ol' US, I truly had no idea if this particular position is a very labor-intensive one, if it's a totally easy job, what area(s) the HR Manager would be spending most of his/her time on, etc. As a job candidate, I may be willing to accept a lower salary than what I am currently making, or I may expect a salary within or even above my preferred ballpark -- it really depends on what I'm being asked to do. My response to that question was, "I expect to be compensated for my experience and expertise in alignment with the job responsibilities. I'd like to learn more about the specific job responsibilities in order to accurately assess what my expectations are for compensation." It was very obvious that the interviewer didn't like that response. Interviewer uttered a response that I perceived to be a defensive response. So I asked what the salary range for the position was, just so I could have an idea if we're talking about a job in the 40's, 50's, 60's, etc. The interviewer refused to tell me the range. I have no idea why the range is such a secret, but whatever. So, needless to say, things went south at that point. Interviewer went on to say that there's very high turnover at the location and the HR Manager is responsible for recruiting, hiring, and retaining unskilled labor. Interviewer estimated that about 40-50% of the job currently deals with recruiting unskilled labor and said "this is a very challenging job" as the particular location currently does not have enough labor to run the business efficiently. The HR Manager is tasked with handling all HR functions and ensuring that they have all positions filled so they can run their operations.

So -- I got clarification on what the job does at that particular Cintas location. It is not something I'm interested in doing, so the job was not a good fit for me professionally.

On the plus side, it does sound like Cintas (corporate) has an impressive HR training program in-house -- lots of opportunity for training, networking, etc.

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the interviewer or the interviewer's attitude (expected much more from someone who is supposedly in a HR director role).

I followed-up by sending the interview an email: "thanks for your time. I'd like to withdraw from further consideration as I don't think this position is a good fit for me following our discussion. I wish you the best in filing this position."

FYI -- two months after my initial application, I noticed that the position is still posted (it's showing up on my HR feeds as a recently posted opportunity, so it's clear they are still recruiting and/or refreshing the posting in an effort to try to find SOMEONE wiling to do this job for (presumably) a pretty low salary.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations? This was the SECOND question asked. See my review and advice to candidates.   Answer Question

Route Check-in Coordinator Interview

There are three interviews in the process, and they are very good at getting back to you to let you know where they are with you in the process. They are also very thorough, so be as prepared as possible to answer many questions.

Interview Questions
    • There's not one particular question that was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Service Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cintas.

It was a very lengthy process involving many people, multiple steps, a working day in the field, background check, physical, etc. It took several weeks to go through it all.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cintas.

You will go through 6-9 interviews. Every member of the sales management team will also interview. The sales team wants to have a say who gets hired so they can drive production to meet they unrealistic goals. They expect the production Supervisor to do miracles that they cannot achieve either.

Interview Questions
    They do not pay what the median salary shows.

First Aid & Safety Service Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Elk Grove Village, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk Grove Village, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cintas in June 2014.

I applied online and was asked to come in for an initial interview, that I was thought to be a potential fit for the position. I interviewed with 4 service managers, the GM, and participated in a ride-along. It felt as though they really wanted to make sure they hired the right person to avoid turnover and achieve longevity with an employee...big selling point

Interview Questions
    • STAR oriented interview, as well as, "what do you expect from an employer as well as an employee?"
      "Give three reasons why Cintas should hire you."
        Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sparks, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cintas in June 2014.

The interview process followed a script of seven questions, all of which asked me to describe past situations that I had experienced in previous positions. There were no surprises here, and the interviewer was very friendly; the process was relaxed and professional. He answered all of my questions, and gave me his business card, just in case I needed more information about the position or the company.

Interview Questions
    • Please give me an example of a time that you made a serious error, and tell me your resolution.   View Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chelmsford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Cintas in June 2014.

They seemed to have a competitive structure for pay. I had never done outside sales and they called me in for the interview. However, I didn't get a second call because I didn't have outside sales experience. I found this quite ironic since it was clear that all of my 15 years experience was from an inside perspective. In this case, they should have pre-qualified with a phone interview to determine if this would be an option for me instead of having me come in and waste my time. They obviously wanted previous outside experience and would have known I didn't have any from a phone screening.

Interview Questions
    • None were really difficult - they mostly just asked to dissect your employment and sales background.   Answer Question

Garment Hanger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Harahan, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harahan, LA

I applied online - interviewed at Cintas in June 2014.

I put in an application over two months ago via indeed. I had my interview today!!! YESSSSS!!!!! I actually had 5 different interviews today...The first man was really nice he asked me many questions off of I guess an interview sheet... He stated he enjoyed the interview and loved my personality..I was moved on to another interview...Same process and I did a walk through with him in the plant.... He moved me on to the 3rd interview...She was really nice she also liked my personality than I interviewed with someone from HR...Than I interviewed with the GM.... He drilled me with questions...Wondered why I was been state to state...He stated that it scared him that I moved around so much....Overall my interview went good and Im hoping to get a call back!!!

Interview Questions
    • did i ever do a mistake and admitted to it even if it would have been better not to?
      What I like best about my present employer and what I liked least??
      How would I deal with an aggressive situation??
        Answer Question

Cintas Loader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Cintas.

Worked there as a temp for 3.5 months, then became hired in with a 90 day probation period.
    Went through 4 interviews, 2 drug tests (one was with the temp agency,) background check, driving record check, and an orientation.

The interview had some light behavioral stuff; how you would react to a disagreement with a co-worker, what was your greatest achievement, etc.

Interview Questions
    Pay in very non-negotiable.

FS Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cintas.

Be prepared for lengthy interview process consisting of a basic phone interview with the sales manager, a face-to-face interview with sales manager, field ride along, director of sales, and finally VP of sales. Due to my busy schedule it took over 3 months to complete the interview process and get an offer. If you are getting passed onto the next step its obviously a good sign...be prepared to close and ask for the job the closer it gets to the end of the interview process. I personally closed 4 times when I interviewed with the VP of sales. After you get approved to be hired there is a casual meet and greet with the GM of the location and Sales Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Each interview has a packet of roughly 8-10 questions that are required for the interviewer to fill out. Interviews questions are pretty simple that are primarily based around "give me an example of a time when..." About half of the questions are related to sales situations and the other half are general work situations. Can relate the questions to work, volunteer, school, or any situation that you believe relevant.   Answer Question
    Salary is the only negotiable part. Just have a number in mind going into the Meet and Greet with the GM and Sales Manager and justify why you believe you deserve the salary. Requested salary was met the next day when position at the location was offered.