Cisco Systems

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Interview was thorough and professional. Got to meet a good mix of people. Co-workers and management from different functional groups. Was able to get a good picture before making decision. Interviewers was very helpful in describing and explaining the role and the company culture. The hiring process was well executed. Ample help from HR and hiring management to navigate through the onboarding process at ease.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question. Interview questions were job role related.   Answer Question

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2011.

Interview Details – The process was disorganized. There seemed to be disagreement in the position responsibilities from those that interviewed me. There was little follow up without my prodding and they seemed disengaged. I got the impression that employees were stressed and unhappy working there. It appeared that there is tons of bureaucracy and no one seemed to know how decisions were made. There was frustration that their opinion did not matter to mgmt. I felt like they thought their upper mgmt should be fired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a big success in your career and your specific role in that success?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a big failure in your career and your role in that failure? What did you learn?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Employees that i met did not seem happy working there. The bureaucracy looked frustrating and I had much better options for a happy job rather than to take the money (best $$$ offer I received). I figured that I would rather earn less and love my job than to make lots of money and be miserable.

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2012.

Interview Details – many interviews

Interview Question – Describe your current role!   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2011.

Interview Details – I first had phone interview with recruiter, then another phone interview with hiring manager, then I flew out to the company location in Philadelphia and had in person interview with hiring manager and other stakeholders.

Interview Question – Why you and not someone else for this job?   View Answer

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2009.

Interview Details – I would say the process is a little long. Part of it is the tax of a large company where there is a dedicated recruiter for each position and oftentimes, they do not coordinate well with the hiring manager. Cisco was going through a hiring freeze for a while so that made the process start and stop several times. Advice is to get in direct contact with the hiring manager because relying of the recruiter is not the most effective.

Interview Question – What markets do you think Cisco should get into and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Limited negotiation (given the economic conditions)... but definitely, everything is up for negotiation.

Business Development Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – Three phone interviews overseas and four in person. Very nice and professional. Wanted to really get a good fit for the position as well making sure the position was a good fit for me personally and professionally.

Negotiation Details – Took a couple of days, but ended up on my target.

London, England (UK)

I interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2011.

Interview Details – interview with HR, line manager team members, met over 7 people over 7 interviews, no real consistency in technique or structure.. lack of process, bad communication of feedback, no consistency of feedback style or content, lack of clarity regarding success factors, goals etc. no tech support for process, bad hr systems support,

Interview Question – who would you identify as ideal acquisition targets and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very painful, took along time, poor comms, rigid HR policy

Business Development Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview with human resources around key bullet points in job description. Followed three weeks later by phone interview with hiring manager. The questions were about my experience and expertise as related to the responsibilities of the role as outlined in the job description. There were no behaviorial interview questions. I followed up a few weeks later with the hiring manager and learned he was considering an internal candidate. I sent him two follow up emails indicating why I was a better candidate than the internal candidate but I received no response. The position was eventually taken down from the company website.

Interview Question – What was the most successful deal you ever did?   Answer Question

Business Development Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a Cisco recruiter.
Good conversation. He explained how he thought I was a good fit for the job. Good rapport. I felt motivated to go to the next level .
The interview with the hiring manager was Ok, but did not result in a next step.
Looks like the job description was different from what he really wanted ( a salesperson ).
I guess is another example of where a hiring manager just don't take the time to explain to the HR personnel what they really want.
Either that , or he already had somebody in mind for the job.

Interview Question – Will you be comfortable in doing weekly forecast / funnel reviews ?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems Business Development Manager interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees and interview candidates.