Cisco Systems

3.3

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I had an introductory interview with them, about an hour long just to get to know me and talk about my resume. That was the easy part.

The next step was a two-pronged interview over Skype. The first interview was with a CSE team manager. Pretty easy, just talking about how compatible your work style was with the team's style. It was friendly and informative and very casual. It was about 45 minutes.

The second was an interview with two current/past CSE's. This was not advertised to me as a technical interview but it became one very quickly. For the first half hour, it contained basic questions about where my industry strength and weaknesses were: what I had been trained to do, what I hadn't, how much I knew about their company, ect. At the half hour mark, the second CSE took over and began drilling me with code samples asking me "What does this do? What does that do?"

It took my by surprise because they used code languages I had told them I hadn't had a lot of experience in, but continued to ask me questions despite my "I don't know"s. After this technical portion, the two interviewers were much "colder" to me than they had been previously. I asked them 10 minutes worth of follow up questions and then we left.

They told me they would contact me in 2-3 weeks.

Overall the process took about 6 weeks from first contact to end of interviewing.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Customer Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2015.

Interview process consisted of a 15 minute phone screen (easy questions about work background, college studies, etc.). This was followed by a phone interview with a manager. This was technical. It was moderately difficult. The next round, I was given a technical issue that a customer was experiencing, and I had to create a one slide powerpoint presentation (nontechnical) to present to a manager, in addition to a technical email that had to be less than one page. You don't actually have to present it, it just has to be sent to an email address. The question itself wasn't difficult. It can be found easily on the Cisco support site. They simply expect you to be able to take the information and present it in an understandable fashion to both nontechnical and technical users.
    As part of this 3rd round of interviews, I also had a 1 hour interview with a current Customer Support Engineer and a Technical lead. This was very similar to the 2nd interview, except it had more behavioral questions (how would you handle an angry customer, etc.)
    The final step in the interview process is a 30 minute interview with a manager. This was completely nontechnical. He asked questions like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years," strengths, weaknesses, etc. This was very different from any of the others.
    Within 4 hours, I had a notice that the company wanted to run a background check on me, and then an offer the next day.
    The overall interview process was good, but my recommendation would be for Cisco to stop outsourcing the scheduling. I was having to deal with Accenture employees, who then had to communicate with the Cisco employees, and then the Accenture employees would contact me (sometimes). I had two interviews that were moved without notifying me. One of these, I didn't know had been moved until 30 minutes after when it was originally scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach changing your teammates perception of you, if you had gained a reputation for being an unproductive team member   View Answer
    There was no negotiation

Customer Support Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interviewed at a career fair. The interview itself was easy enough to get. Questions asked seemed pretty generic, "what is the hardest problem you've solved" "how do you work through difficult issues".
    Mostly a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work through difficult problems?   View Answer

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Initial Call followed by a 30 minute non technical interview. After passing this there is a minute long presentation video that has to be submitted. In addition to this there will be a two hour block set up where there will be a 30 minute non-technical interview followed by an hour long technical panel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2013.

All interviews were conducted through WebEx. First interview was a little over 30 minutes and was very general in questions. Why did you apply? Can you explain your resume in great detail?

Prior to the second interview I was given a question that for which I had to make a video response. Then the second interview was with a hiring manager, followed by a 30 minute break and then two or three Cisco employees (all through WebEx). The hiring manager asked questions such as what's a switch? What's a router? Then the Cisco employees asked questions regarding my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the OSI Model? For each layer describe it and give a protocol for each.   Answer Question

Customer Support Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

I was hired through campus recruiting efforts at my university's career fair. I met with a recruiter and set up an on-campus interview. It was rather straightforward and behavioral based and lasted a little over half an hour. Then a few weeks later I got an email saying I'd made it to the second and final round, which would be conducted remotely using Cisco's telepresence technology. It was 2 hours. I spent half an hour speaking with a member of management who gauged my interest and talked about my experience for a little while. Then there was a break and I spoke with two Customer Support Engineers for the "technical interview". There was no coding examples and almost everything was situational problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if Customer X called and told you "this isn't working"?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Salary was determined based on years experience and was not open to negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter and it took about a week to get the initial interview date. I was pretty disappointed as there was no communication after this. I sent several emails but no reply until today.

Least they could have done was to send me a email saying, we are not moving forward with you.
    But nothing, not even a courtesy email.

Interview Questions
    • The initial interview questions were basic and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

new hire interview for a CSE as part of special grad program. met some amazing people both in person and (primarily) over the phone.
    modest relocation with really awful restricted stock options / incentives.
    great mix of technical and non-technical folks hired in as a single group. was a good idea but i feel that practice is fading.

Interview Questions
    took first offer. was a moderate amount but seemed great for me as a grad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Team members conduct phone interview and then some of the team members will meet and interview the candidate on site. Team members have more say than the management in hiring a candidate.

No negotiation when I got hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2012.

An agency contacted me about my resume on an online job seeking site. The staffing agency finds interview candidates for Cisco and prepare them to be as good a candidate as possible. My agency went above and beyond in preparing me and informing me on the interview process and what to expect. The process took very long on Cisco's end, but I soon had an in-person interview at Cisco, which I studied for for two days, reviewing all of my CCNA material and the preliminary questions the agency asked me over the phone. Overall, I over-studied and nailed every question in the interview. I was surprised at how easy the interview was for me.

Interview Questions
    Pay was determined by an agency, who offered me only $12/ hour at my initial team with promises of a raise the moment I moved to my permanent team. I had very little experience besides a paid internship, but I did have a CCNA certification, which I have noticed few people at my level of support have. In my experience, agencies always offer low with promises of a raise very soon. I encourage anyone negotiating to ask for what they believe they deserve listing their strengths and see what they can negotiate.