Cisco Systems Customer Support Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2015

3.4

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

The response to my resume was fast and I was able to quickly set up a web interview after my first contact. I made it to the final round which was a 30 minute interview with the manage and an hour long interview with two technical leads.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted, requesting a phone screen. This was just basic behavioral questions. I then had a webex, this is the video conferencing software they use, interview where technical questions were asked. After this, they sent me a case, where I had to solve a customer's problem and prepare a paper and powerpoint slide with the resolution. A Manager interview and technical interview concluded the interviewing process.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Everything on glassdoor has been spot on. HR interview is trivial and standard, with some basic problem solving situations (I didn't have networking experience so my situation was car trouble). Next is Cisco interview challenge which is basically unanswered questions from their customer support forums- a cheap way to outsource your tech support I suppose. Neither the manager or the two technical leads were interested in talking about the interview challenge, but the interviews themselves were quite nice. All persons were amicable and the technical round wasn't even too rough despite having only a basic understanding of important topics like the OSI model. Now just waiting for the yes or no.

Interview Questions

• "Describe the layers of the OSI model, provide an example of a protocol for each"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (New York, NY).

Interview

Their interview process is long and requires. Lot of work. The company recruiters I worked with were nice but very disorganised. The position I applied for was listed for the San Jose location. When a recruiter called, they told me there were no positions available there, so I said I wasn't interested in relocating. I got a call the next day saying they did have openings in San Jose, so I agreed to go through the interview process. This involved: -a phone call from a recruiter -a first-round phone interview with a manager -preparing a one-page technical document and one non-technical slide to respond to a scenario they gave me. -one half-hour "non-technical" manager interview -one hour technical interview with two technical managers Interviews were both conducted via Webex. The scenario they gave me required a lot of research on my part. The interviews went really well, they all seemed confident I would get the job. The interviewers did not ask about the scenario I had been given or the documents I had prepared, those were uploaded to my candidate profile. The interviewers encouraged me to start learning everything I could to obtain my CCNA certification, because they were sure I would get the position and your first few weeks at Cisco are like "trying to drink from a firehouse" because of all the new information. The interview process took about a month because they had to keep rescheduling interviews due to the managers' busy schedule. After my interviews, the manager asked me to select my location preference from a list. San Jose was not on that list. I responded to the email by saying "I was told San Jose was an option, is that still available?" To which he responded "yes just confirming San Jose is still your preference." That was strange. I was then told I would hear back within a few weeks. After about five weeks I tried getting a hold of my recruiter and didn't hear back for a while. After trying harder to get in contact with him, I was told I was not selected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

30 min in person interview with current team members, then a 30 minute interview with a manager and an hour interview with technical leads. in addition, had to prepare a technical email and a mock powerpoint slide for a nontechnical manager. after about 5 weeks, i got a request for a background check. then about 2 weeks after that, i got a call with the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was approached at a career fair at my university where I was given an interview. A few days later I received an email stating I had moved on to the final round of interviews. Before the interviews, I had to complete a challenge from Cisco. Afterwards, I had a 30 minute non-technical and 1 hour technical interview.

Interview Questions

• An application is running slowly on Windows. What would you do to see what's going wrong?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I had an introductory interview with them, about an hour long just to get to know me and talk about my resume. That was the easy part. The next step was a two-pronged interview over Skype. The first interview was with a CSE team manager. Pretty easy, just talking about how compatible your work style was with the team's style. It was friendly and informative and very casual. It was about 45 minutes. The second was an interview with two current/past CSE's. This was not advertised to me as a technical interview but it became one very quickly. For the first half hour, it contained basic questions about where my industry strength and weaknesses were: what I had been trained to do, what I hadn't, how much I knew about their company, ect. At the half hour mark, the second CSE took over and began drilling me with code samples asking me "What does this do? What does that do?" It took my by surprise because they used code languages I had told them I hadn't had a lot of experience in, but continued to ask me questions despite my "I don't know"s. After this technical portion, the two interviewers were much "colder" to me than they had been previously. I asked them 10 minutes worth of follow up questions and then we left. They told me they would contact me in 2-3 weeks. Overall the process took about 6 weeks from first contact to end of interviewing.

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a 15 minute phone screen (easy questions about work background, college studies, etc.). This was followed by a phone interview with a manager. This was technical. It was moderately difficult. The next round, I was given a technical issue that a customer was experiencing, and I had to create a one slide powerpoint presentation (nontechnical) to present to a manager, in addition to a technical email that had to be less than one page. You don't actually have to present it, it just has to be sent to an email address. The question itself wasn't difficult. It can be found easily on the Cisco support site. They simply expect you to be able to take the information and present it in an understandable fashion to both nontechnical and technical users. As part of this 3rd round of interviews, I also had a 1 hour interview with a current Customer Support Engineer and a Technical lead. This was very similar to the 2nd interview, except it had more behavioral questions (how would you handle an angry customer, etc.) The final step in the interview process is a 30 minute interview with a manager. This was completely nontechnical. He asked questions like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years," strengths, weaknesses, etc. This was very different from any of the others. Within 4 hours, I had a notice that the company wanted to run a background check on me, and then an offer the next day. The overall interview process was good, but my recommendation would be for Cisco to stop outsourcing the scheduling. I was having to deal with Accenture employees, who then had to communicate with the Cisco employees, and then the Accenture employees would contact me (sometimes). I had two interviews that were moved without notifying me. One of these, I didn't know had been moved until 30 minutes after when it was originally scheduled.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach changing your teammates perception of you, if you had gained a reputation for being an unproductive team member   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Interviewed at a career fair. The interview itself was easy enough to get. Questions asked seemed pretty generic, "what is the hardest problem you've solved" "how do you work through difficult issues". Mostly a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you work through difficult problems?   1 Answer

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial Call followed by a 30 minute non technical interview. After passing this there is a minute long presentation video that has to be submitted. In addition to this there will be a two hour block set up where there will be a 30 minute non-technical interview followed by an hour long technical panel.