Cisco Systems

Updated Oct 29, 2014

3.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Support Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interviewed at a career fair. The interview itself was easy enough to get. Questions asked seemed pretty generic, "what is the hardest problem you've solved" "how do you work through difficult issues".
Mostly a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
  • How do you work through difficult problems?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Initial Call followed by a 30 minute non technical interview. After passing this there is a minute long presentation video that has to be submitted. In addition to this there will be a two hour block set up where there will be a 30 minute non-technical interview followed by an hour long technical panel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2013.

All interviews were conducted through WebEx. First interview was a little over 30 minutes and was very general in questions. Why did you apply? Can you explain your resume in great detail?

Prior to the second interview I was given a question that for which I had to make a video response. Then the second interview was with a hiring manager, followed by a 30 minute break and then two or three Cisco employees (all through WebEx). The hiring manager asked questions such as what's a switch? What's a router? Then the Cisco employees asked questions regarding my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the OSI Model? For each layer describe it and give a protocol for each.   Answer Question

Customer Support Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

I was hired through campus recruiting efforts at my university's career fair. I met with a recruiter and set up an on-campus interview. It was rather straightforward and behavioral based and lasted a little over half an hour. Then a few weeks later I got an email saying I'd made it to the second and final round, which would be conducted remotely using Cisco's telepresence technology. It was 2 hours. I spent half an hour speaking with a member of management who gauged my interest and talked about my experience for a little while. Then there was a break and I spoke with two Customer Support Engineers for the "technical interview". There was no coding examples and almost everything was situational problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if Customer X called and told you "this isn't working"?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Salary was determined based on years experience and was not open to negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter and it took about a week to get the initial interview date. I was pretty disappointed as there was no communication after this. I sent several emails but no reply until today.

Least they could have done was to send me a email saying, we are not moving forward with you.
    But nothing, not even a courtesy email.

Interview Questions
    • The initial interview questions were basic and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

new hire interview for a CSE as part of special grad program. met some amazing people both in person and (primarily) over the phone.
    modest relocation with really awful restricted stock options / incentives.
    great mix of technical and non-technical folks hired in as a single group. was a good idea but i feel that practice is fading.

Interview Questions
    took first offer. was a moderate amount but seemed great for me as a grad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Team members conduct phone interview and then some of the team members will meet and interview the candidate on site. Team members have more say than the management in hiring a candidate.

No negotiation when I got hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in July 2012.

An agency contacted me about my resume on an online job seeking site. The staffing agency finds interview candidates for Cisco and prepare them to be as good a candidate as possible. My agency went above and beyond in preparing me and informing me on the interview process and what to expect. The process took very long on Cisco's end, but I soon had an in-person interview at Cisco, which I studied for for two days, reviewing all of my CCNA material and the preliminary questions the agency asked me over the phone. Overall, I over-studied and nailed every question in the interview. I was surprised at how easy the interview was for me.

Interview Questions
    Pay was determined by an agency, who offered me only $12/ hour at my initial team with promises of a raise the moment I moved to my permanent team. I had very little experience besides a paid internship, but I did have a CCNA certification, which I have noticed few people at my level of support have. In my experience, agencies always offer low with promises of a raise very soon. I encourage anyone negotiating to ask for what they believe they deserve listing their strengths and see what they can negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2012.

Well my cisco journey began with an email from the TAC member on May24th. JUL 20th and I was contacted by this TAC had an 1hr 30min interview with him. Then I was contacted by a engineer and had a 15min interview now all I have left is 2 interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2012.

phone screen..techincal too and then 6 guys were interviewing during that time..lasted 2 hours

The interview was good..i mean nice people but be prepared in depth as its Cisco so they expect a lot and if you have certs..then be proud of them...let them hear it :)

Good luck

Interview Questions
    • - STP..the works: BPDUs, RP, DPs etc
      - DHCP IP helper concept
      - Mac address, multicast, unicast
      - some analytical questions..like how to troubleshoot a link down,,,,what steps
      - project handling skills etc

- Some basic BGP and OSPF questions..like AS path number, load balancing OSPF links

Answer Question