Cisco Systems Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.5

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2013.

Cisco Systems visited M.S.Ramaiah Institute of Technology (Bangalore, India) for their university recruitment program. There was a pre- assessment screening based on GPA. About 200 students were eligible after this screening.The actual hiring process consisted of four rounds.
1) Assessment Test
2) Technical Interview
3) Managerial Interview
4) HR Interview

The assessment test was for 50 marks. It contained 50 questions, each carrying one mark and no negative marking. The test contained two sections, aptitude and technical. Aptitude was easy. Technical section tests your basic knowledge on operating systems, compilers, systems software, digital design, programming, networking and electronics. Getting above 35 questions right at this stage is important. Based on the performance in this test, 40 students were selected for further rounds of interview process. Top 20 were selected for their engineering division and other 20 selected for their IT division. I got in engineering.

First round of interview will be technical. This round is very crucial because most of the students get eliminated here. This will be the last chance for students who scored low in first round. Unless we impress the interviewer in this round, chances of getting recruited are very less. The interviewer focused only on basics. He started off by asking me to write prototype of main function. Then asked me how the value returned by main is used by the system. He then wrote a code (based on pointers and strings)) which has a bug and asked me to explain what goes on till the output or error occurs. Here, the interviewer wanted to test my knowledge of pointers, debugging, strings. Then the interviewer wrote a code which had recursive function calls and asked me to explain how system allocates and de-allocates memory and return address mechanism. The interviewer then asked me to write a program to delete n-th node from the end in a singly linked list. He asked me to write efficient code to find the number of nodes in a fully binary tree (i.e., without performing tree traversal). Next, he asked me to write a c macro to find two power n. Finally, he asked me to tell advantages of paging and virtual memory. The interviewer was very helpful and friendly. He gave enough time to think. He was supportive when I was getting struck somewhere. The interview lasted for 45 minutes. Interviewer asking more number of questions and asking you questions on data structures is a good sign.

Second round of interview was taken by manager. Firstly, he explained about his group. He was trying to not only assess my knowledge but also tried to know me. He started off with what i do in my free time, what kind of technical activities i am involved in outside college curriculum. Then he went through my resume and asked me how i used PHP in my internet technologies project. He also asked what i did as a part of google developers group bangalore. Then, he asked me what were my favorite technologies. Next, he asked me to explain what all happens after we enter a URL in the browser till the requested web page is delivered. He wanted to know what happens at all the layers starting from DNS, routing etc... Then he asked me a question which required me to choose an appropriate data structure for an application. He finally asked me to write a code to efficiently reverse a string. This interview was easy and went on for some 40 minutes. Very few people get a second round interview. Unless we perform really bad, chance of getting rejected is less.

The last round, HR was a mere formality. Almost 90% of the people who reached HR were selected. About 8 people reached HR, only one got rejected. HR questions are very simple like why CISCO? where do you see yourself in 5 years? Introduce yourself etc...

Interview Questions
  • Most unexpected question was to write a c macro to find nth power of two .... i never expected anyone to question on macros.   View Answer
Because I am a fresher, i didn't have any facility to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Good interview process but no feedback at all, even after contacting them via e-mail

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2010.

Applied Online. Was given a programming assignment to complete within 2 weeks (create a program to store and return IP addresses) as well as a phone interview. Very pleasant, more like a chat about uni projects, obligatory simple technical questions at the end. Face to face interview arranged two days later. Took four hours, consisted of a programming / problem solving test and two 2-man panel interviews, one personal / CV reviewing, the other a thorough examination of the assignment.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program the reads IPv4 addresses from standard input and stores them in memory. If an octet contains a wildcard then the program should return all stored addresses that match.   Answer Question

Had to decline as start date was too soon.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!