Cisco Systems

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to recruiter at a career fair at my university, and he got me an interview the following week. The first interview lasted thirty minutes, and we mostly just talked about my resume and experiences, and touched on how I would try to tackle some specific problems. The next interview was about two weeks later and was done through WebEx with a couple of managers. They asked about past projects, how I went about solving issues, difficult problems, working with the team, etc. Then a couple of weeks later I got an offer. Overall, pretty easy interviews.

Interview Question – Not all that difficult, but what is the difference between classification and regression algorithms?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was non-negotiable with a very standard starting salary. I got an offer that I negotiated with another company that I liked better.

Morrisville, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2010.

Interview Details – Six people interview with mostly analytical questions. There were not a lot of critical thinking question even though the respective position was of technical background. The interviewers seem to be critical of your purpose and future at the company.

Interview Question – Why do you seek the position and where do you see yourself with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not a lot of negotiation since this was my first full time position. I was disappointed with the benefits of the offer, but the experience was worth it.

UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2011.

Interview Details – I gave them my resume. Then, I was contacted for an interview. It was very chill and non-technical, which was surprising as I was expecting it to be. Instead, the interviewer just had me go over my resume and just really talk about my experiences.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2013.

Interview Details – My initial interview was through an on campus meeting. I was greeted by a very friendly representative who initially asked me if I knew any technical questions. Afterwards, he asked me about my role in leadership. My second interview was through cisco's webEx software, an online conferencing app. The second interviewer asked me more of the same questions. I dressed up for both interviews.

Interview Question – What was one instance where you saw someone else demonstrate leadership?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2011.

Interview Details – After talking to the recruiter at my universities career fair I was set up for an interview a week and a half later. The interview was a half hour session done over WebEx (videoconferencing software). All of the questions focused on my personality, former job experience, and team project experience. All of the questions were very standard for a behavioral interview. The setting was fairly laid back, but I dressed up for video conferencing for good measure. After a couple of months of waiting I got an e-mail for a third-party background check. Once that was complete I was given an offer shortly after.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with technology outside of class?   View Answer
  • Name a time you when you had a difficult time working with a group member and how you overcame this challenge.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – Conversion from Consultant to Full-time. Knew the entire team and everyone said hire.

Interview Question – Offer = Are you okey with the offer!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

San Jose, CA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2009.

Interview Details – First interview was on campus, went well. Next at Cisco HQ, I interviewed with three different hiring managers, which also seemed to go well. Tried to work with HR about other offer deadlines, it looked like I might possibly get an offer from Cisco, but never got one in time. I eventually told them I had already accepted another offer in their last attempt to contact me regarding a position.

Overall, I wish their process was quicker, as Cisco was somewhere I've always wanted to work.

Interview Question – What are the two most important skills you gained at school?   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2007.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty straightforward. I had been an intern there already for several months, but they didn't just accept me in. I had a phone interview which lasted about 45 minutes with the hiring manager who was from the east coast. A few days later I had the actual interview.

There were 6 different 1 on 1 interviews which lasted for about a half hour each. I interviewed with an HR person, a manger, a couple engineers, an architect and then a couple analysts together.

It was pretty easy. The only difficult questions were those posed by the architect and even then they were simple. I was surprised because there were a lot of people interviewing me, but none went very in depth. It's possible it was just because the position was an IT Engineer 1 and I had already been performing in that position for a few months though.

Interview Questions

• You have a class in Java and you would like to know how many instances of it exist at any given time. How would you do this?   View Answer
  • A basic 'how do you prevent a race condition' question.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had two offers on the table: one from Cisco and one from a startup. I chose the startup.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – Campus hire. Written test with questions covering topics from electronics to C programming language. Written test was followed by two rounds of interviews, one with three member panel team technical interview and the other with a person from HR. Overall very good experience, with panel members making me comfortable and then getting into business.

Interview Question – A boat puzzle with constraints added at every attempt of an answer. At some point of time it seemed like the constraints would make it nearly impossible to arrive at a solution.   View Answer

IT Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – 1. job agent phone interview
2. junior colleague phone interview
3. manager phone interview
4. director phone interview
5. hr phone interview

Interview Question – non disclosure   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems IT Engineer interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees and interview candidates.