Cisco Systems IT Engineer Interview Questions

1.9

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

Talked to recruiter at a career fair at my university, and he got me an interview the following week. The first interview lasted thirty minutes, and we mostly just talked about my resume and experiences, and touched on how I would try to tackle some specific problems. The next interview was about two weeks later and was done through WebEx with a couple of managers. They asked about past projects, how I went about solving issues, difficult problems, working with the team, etc. Then a couple of weeks later I got an offer. Overall, pretty easy interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Not all that difficult, but what is the difference between classification and regression algorithms?   Answer Question

Offer was non-negotiable with a very standard starting salary. I got an offer that I negotiated with another company that I liked better.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2013.

My initial interview was through an on campus meeting. I was greeted by a very friendly representative who initially asked me if I knew any technical questions. Afterwards, he asked me about my role in leadership. My second interview was through cisco's webEx software, an online conferencing app. The second interviewer asked me more of the same questions. I dressed up for both interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What was one instance where you saw someone else demonstrate leadership?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Conversion from Consultant to Full-time. Knew the entire team and everyone said hire.

No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2011.

After talking to the recruiter at my universities career fair I was set up for an interview a week and a half later. The interview was a half hour session done over WebEx (videoconferencing software). All of the questions focused on my personality, former job experience, and team project experience. All of the questions were very standard for a behavioral interview. The setting was fairly laid back, but I dressed up for video conferencing for good measure. After a couple of months of waiting I got an e-mail for a third-party background check. Once that was complete I was given an offer shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • How do you keep up with technology outside of class?   View Answer
    • Name a time you when you had a difficult time working with a group member and how you overcame this challenge.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in September 2011.

I gave them my resume. Then, I was contacted for an interview. It was very chill and non-technical, which was surprising as I was expecting it to be. Instead, the interviewer just had me go over my resume and just really talk about my experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2010.

Six people interview with mostly analytical questions. There were not a lot of critical thinking question even though the respective position was of technical background. The interviewers seem to be critical of your purpose and future at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you seek the position and where do you see yourself with it?   Answer Question
    There was not a lot of negotiation since this was my first full time position. I was disappointed with the benefits of the offer, but the experience was worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems in December 2009.

First interview was on campus, went well. Next at Cisco HQ, I interviewed with three different hiring managers, which also seemed to go well. Tried to work with HR about other offer deadlines, it looked like I might possibly get an offer from Cisco, but never got one in time. I eventually told them I had already accepted another offer in their last attempt to contact me regarding a position.

Overall, I wish their process was quicker, as Cisco was somewhere I've always wanted to work.

Interview Questions
    • What are the two most important skills you gained at school?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2007.

The interview was pretty straightforward. I had been an intern there already for several months, but they didn't just accept me in. I had a phone interview which lasted about 45 minutes with the hiring manager who was from the east coast. A few days later I had the actual interview.

There were 6 different 1 on 1 interviews which lasted for about a half hour each. I interviewed with an HR person, a manger, a couple engineers, an architect and then a couple analysts together.

It was pretty easy. The only difficult questions were those posed by the architect and even then they were simple. I was surprised because there were a lot of people interviewing me, but none went very in depth. It's possible it was just because the position was an IT Engineer 1 and I had already been performing in that position for a few months though.

Interview Questions
    • You have a class in Java and you would like to know how many instances of it exist at any given time. How would you do this?   View Answer
    • A basic 'how do you prevent a race condition' question.   View Answer

I had two offers on the table: one from Cisco and one from a startup. I chose the startup.

IT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Campus hire. Written test with questions covering topics from electronics to C programming language. Written test was followed by two rounds of interviews, one with three member panel team technical interview and the other with a person from HR. Overall very good experience, with panel members making me comfortable and then getting into business.

Interview Questions
    • A boat puzzle with constraints added at every attempt of an answer. At some point of time it seemed like the constraints would make it nearly impossible to arrive at a solution.   View Answer

IT Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

1. job agent phone interview