Cisco Systems India Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.3

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems India in October 2011.

There are mainly 4-5 rounds of technical interview. Mostly related to the current role and past roles.
    Operating Systems and Programming Technique is mostly tested. Very less scope of questions related to optimisation or puzzle programs. A bit of data structure and algorithms are also asked. Negotiation is a key thing in getting best offer. Please be sure to which band you are interviewed for. Its a common trend hiring people in lower band .

Interview Questions
    I had another offer at that time so i did not negotiate much. Although it turned out the offer was less than what was current standard in the company.

TAC Engineer Interview

interview was simple three tech rounds and one managerial round followed by HR round and they took a month to come back to me and gave a joining date of 1 month ahead

did not negotiate

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems India in August 2014.

It was a 4 round interview. The first round was a written round with 50 questions(20 aptitude + 30 technical) for 1 hour. The second round was a technical round(1 hour). The third was a technical + management round(20 mins).The fourth round was a short HR round(10 mins).

In the first round, 20 aptitude comprised of simple-medium-complex aptitude questions.Some were answerable within 10 seconds , some took 30-40 seconds and the harder ones took slightly over a minute to solve. The questions were based on all the classic aptitude topics.Some questions were stated in a confusing way, but other than that , no hiccups were present. The technical side had 30 questions. I was able to answer most of the aptitude questions(17-18) were correct out of 20 and more than 22 questions were right out of 30 in the technical side. I think the cutoff for the second round was around the 40 mark, which i had gotten and i made it to the second round.

In the second round, the interview started off with simpler,shorter questions, like for example the interviewer pointed to one of the technical questions in the previous round(the interviewer has your answer sheet from the previous round) and asked me to explain the approach i had taken to solve the problem. In the question , i had to estimate the worst case time complexity of the function. the recursive function had something like this:

return function(params-1) + function(params-1)

The answer to this was O(2^n). The interviewer modified the question to this:

return (function(params-1) + function(params-1)) * function(params-1)

The complexity of this was O(3^n). He asked me to derive it on paper which i did.

The next question was regarding how to set the nth bit in a 32bit-integer. The answer was pretty straight forward. variable | 1<<(n-1).

The next question was about a linked list. The interviewer asked me print a singly linked list in a reverse manner.

After that we moved on to trees. The first question was to find the min element in the tree.
    The second question was to implement level order traversal in trees.

After i did that, he asked me to traverse the tree and print it in reverse level order fashion, but the associativity of the child node should be from L-R. for eg..

4 Then the answer would be: 1357264
        / \
      2 6
     / \ / \
    1 3 5 7

After taking a few hints from the interviewer i was able to code it up without errors.

The next question was to print the tree in a zig-zag manner. ie:
    for the tree above the zig-zag traversal would yield: 4267531.
    After thinking for some time, hints from the interviewer, i was able to code this up as well.
    The key points the interviewer looked for, was approach, error-less coding,boundry cases,clarity and confidence. Also , try to speak to the interviewer about your thought process, this not only gives a better opinion to the interviewer, but if you tell him where your'e stuck, he/she might give you clues to proceed further.

In the 3rd round, The technical-management round., the key focus was your thought process, they were not too keen about the technicality of the solutions. The interviewer asked me what were my favorite topics, and i replied data-structures and algorithms. Then he asked me to code up a part of a social network were people were nodes and different types of connections existed between them. my job was to write functions to connect any two nodes of the graph, and also another function to check if 2 nodes are directly or indirectly(transitively) connected.

I asked him, whether all these edges/connections were directed or undirected, they were assumed to be undirected.
    the socialGraph class had a insertion,deletion functions and connect(node*,node*) ,
    isconnected(node*,node*) functions as friend functions to connect 2 nodes and check if 2 nodes are connected. connect function was straight forward ,as i had to append node reference to the edge-list of the node.
    Then to check if 2 nodes are connected , i did a DFS from the source node to the destination node. The interviewer asked me to make the code such that it could scale. So i suggested that we could do a A* search instead of a DFS to make the search space smaller. The interviewer seemed satisfied with my solutions and then we moved on to the other questions. He asked me other simple questions about my projects.
    I did well enough to get qualified for the final round which was a casual HR round where they asked simple questions like the meaning of my name :P and then i was given a evaluation form to fill, and they asked me some questions on that which i could answer.
    Later after about 2 hours, they announced the results, 2 people were selected for full time jobs + internships (one of them was me :D), and 3 more for only internship.
    The interview overall was reasonable and strong knowledge in Data structures and algorithms was needed to get through.

Interview Questions
    As a fresher , i was happy with the package that was offered.

Software Engineer Interview

Aptitude+technical test followed by 2 interview rounds. Technical round has standard questions on C, few questions from digital electronics, aptitude had a lot of time consuming questions. If you have attended the same company before for another profile, few questions repeat. Concepts tested are the same

Interview Questions
    • Aptitude questions were heavy on probability, most of them difficult and time consuming   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Took a day
    written test had aptitude , c programming,data structures , basic electronics and networking.
    2 technical interviews. Majority of the questions in both the rounds were based on programming and networking. Basic electronics questions were also asked.

Manager II Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems India in March 2014.

3 rounds of interview (1st with direct manager, 2nd with senior sales guy & 3rd with international country controller). Interview was based on resume & was smooth & easy. However, it took around 4 months from first call to offer.

very little, slight increase in joining bonus

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems India in May 2011.

The interview includes 1-2 written rounds of basic networking concepts, 3-5 Technical Interview based on your expertise. It helps to have any of the Cisco Certifications including CCNA, CCNP or CCIE. The technical rounds are followed by a Manager round and an HR round which might take time upto a week. The Manager round can also include technical questions.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Cisco Systems India in April 2012.

Initially had a telephonic interview which covered almost everything from DS, C, Computer architecture, projects in the previous company. Once you are thorough with the fundamentals of the above specified subjects, you are guaranteed to clear the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I did not anything very tough. Most of the questions were very common in C and DS.   Answer Question
    I was in 4L package and when they offered me 8.2L, I did not negotiate at all. But even after 2 years of stay in the company, I did not get a hike worth mentioning.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems India in August 2010.

1. telephonic where in your projected related questions will be asked
    2. 3 rounds of interview on C, data structure, projected related, switching, routing
    3. HR round where in compensation related question will be asked

Network Consulting Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cisco Systems India.

written test( aptitude,digital electronics,communication networks) followed by two technical rounds and one HR round. The interviewer in first round was really cool but second technical round was more like a stress round.

Interview Questions
    • all the questions were confined to basics:
      ex: need for ipv6, explain the layers of OSI model, explain network diagram