Cisco Systems India

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems India.

This textarea doesn't allow to be precise on the process, hence I am adding little extra bit. But, I got the opportunity through a consultant. Consultant fixed the first round of interview over phone.

Interview Questions
    • 1) The question in GWT was how do we clone the GWT component?   View Answer
    • 2) The question in JQuery was how do we find the position of a clicked cell in a table?   View Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems India in August 2014.

It was a 4 round interview. The first round was a written round with 50 questions(20 aptitude + 30 technical) for 1 hour. The second round was a technical round(1 hour). The third was a technical + management round(20 mins).The fourth round was a short HR round(10 mins).

In the first round, 20 aptitude comprised of simple-medium-complex aptitude questions.Some were answerable within 10 seconds , some took 30-40 seconds and the harder ones took slightly over a minute to solve. The questions were based on all the classic aptitude topics.Some questions were stated in a confusing way, but other than that , no hiccups were present. The technical side had 30 questions. I was able to answer most of the aptitude questions(17-18) were correct out of 20 and more than 22 questions were right out of 30 in the technical side. I think the cutoff for the second round was around the 40 mark, which i had gotten and i made it to the second round.

In the second round, the interview started off with simpler,shorter questions, like for example the interviewer pointed to one of the technical questions in the previous round(the interviewer has your answer sheet from the previous round) and asked me to explain the approach i had taken to solve the problem. In the question , i had to estimate the worst case time complexity of the function. the recursive function had something like this:

return function(params-1) + function(params-1)

The answer to this was O(2^n). The interviewer modified the question to this:

return (function(params-1) + function(params-1)) * function(params-1)

The complexity of this was O(3^n). He asked me to derive it on paper which i did.

The next question was regarding how to set the nth bit in a 32bit-integer. The answer was pretty straight forward. variable | 1<<(n-1).

The next question was about a linked list. The interviewer asked me print a singly linked list in a reverse manner.

After that we moved on to trees. The first question was to find the min element in the tree.
    The second question was to implement level order traversal in trees.

After i did that, he asked me to traverse the tree and print it in reverse level order fashion, but the associativity of the child node should be from L-R. for eg..

4 Then the answer would be: 1357264
        / \
      2 6
     / \ / \
    1 3 5 7

After taking a few hints from the interviewer i was able to code it up without errors.

The next question was to print the tree in a zig-zag manner. ie:
    for the tree above the zig-zag traversal would yield: 4267531.
    After thinking for some time, hints from the interviewer, i was able to code this up as well.
    The key points the interviewer looked for, was approach, error-less coding,boundry cases,clarity and confidence. Also , try to speak to the interviewer about your thought process, this not only gives a better opinion to the interviewer, but if you tell him where your'e stuck, he/she might give you clues to proceed further.

In the 3rd round, The technical-management round., the key focus was your thought process, they were not too keen about the technicality of the solutions. The interviewer asked me what were my favorite topics, and i replied data-structures and algorithms. Then he asked me to code up a part of a social network were people were nodes and different types of connections existed between them. my job was to write functions to connect any two nodes of the graph, and also another function to check if 2 nodes are directly or indirectly(transitively) connected.

I asked him, whether all these edges/connections were directed or undirected, they were assumed to be undirected.
    the socialGraph class had a insertion,deletion functions and connect(node*,node*) ,
    isconnected(node*,node*) functions as friend functions to connect 2 nodes and check if 2 nodes are connected. connect function was straight forward ,as i had to append node reference to the edge-list of the node.
    Then to check if 2 nodes are connected , i did a DFS from the source node to the destination node. The interviewer asked me to make the code such that it could scale. So i suggested that we could do a A* search instead of a DFS to make the search space smaller. The interviewer seemed satisfied with my solutions and then we moved on to the other questions. He asked me other simple questions about my projects.
    I did well enough to get qualified for the final round which was a casual HR round where they asked simple questions like the meaning of my name :P and then i was given a evaluation form to fill, and they asked me some questions on that which i could answer.
    Later after about 2 hours, they announced the results, 2 people were selected for full time jobs + internships (one of them was me :D), and 3 more for only internship.
    The interview overall was reasonable and strong knowledge in Data structures and algorithms was needed to get through.

Interview Questions
    As a fresher , i was happy with the package that was offered.

TAC Engineer Interview

interview was simple three tech rounds and one managerial round followed by HR round and they took a month to come back to me and gave a joining date of 1 month ahead

did not negotiate

Network Consulting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems India in August 2014.

First round was written test with 20 aptitude and 30 technical questions. Duration was 1 hour. In aptitude, most of the questions were based on probability, permutation and combination and few questions like encoding a given word. In technical section, questions based on C output, electronics, operating systems and networks were asked.

Software Engineer Interview

Aptitude+technical test followed by 2 interview rounds. Technical round has standard questions on C, few questions from digital electronics, aptitude had a lot of time consuming questions. If you have attended the same company before for another profile, few questions repeat. Concepts tested are the same

Interview Questions
    • Aptitude questions were heavy on probability, most of them difficult and time consuming   Answer Question

Took a day
    written test had aptitude , c programming,data structures , basic electronics and networking.
    2 technical interviews. Majority of the questions in both the rounds were based on programming and networking. Basic electronics questions were also asked.

Network Consulting Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems India.

written test( aptitude,digital electronics,communication networks) followed by two technical rounds and one HR round. The interviewer in first round was really cool but second technical round was more like a stress round.

Interview Questions
    • all the questions were confined to basics:
      ex: need for ipv6, explain the layers of OSI model, explain network diagram

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems India.

I was approached by HCL HR to interview for a project as a contractor at Cisco. The first round of discussion was a telephone interview with a HCL Manager.
    On clearing that I had a round of telephone interview with a Cisco manager. It was followed by two rounds of technical interview face-to-face at Cisco office.

Interview Questions
    • This is the list of some of the questions that I was asked during the interview process.

Telephone interview questions
      1. Volatile – explain with the scenario where volatile keyword would be used. And other scope variables.
      Inheritance
      7. Difference between char pointer and char array
      8. Will the size of char pointer and char array the same
      9. Allocating memory for 2 dimensional array using malloc
      10. More emphasis on pointers
      11. OOPS concepts, for example, Inheritance (multiple vs multi-level inheritance)
      12. Difference between copy-constructor and overloaded assignment operator
      13. What is STL.
      14. Exception and error handling
      15. Runtime polymorphism with example
      16. Problems with multi-threaded programming, how to overcome those
      17. Given a scenario, how would come up with class design.
      18. Explain any of the design pattern that you are aware of with examples (other than singleton pattern)
      19. Difference between thread and process
      20. How inter process communication can happen
      21. How to debug the program. How to debug a crash

Face to face discussion
      Round 1:
      1. Static and dynamic libraries
      Difference between them
      Why do we need static and not use just dynamic?
      Is there a change in the binary size(.exe file) depending on the type of library used?
      Will the libraries still be required even after the binary is generated?
      2. Why any program compiled on Windows system(exe) do not run on Linux/Mac?

3. Explain the steps that happen when we enter a URL in a browser till the webpage is displayed

4. What is VPN? What purpose does it serve?

5. Why do we need to use a proxy server? Uses?

6. Program to find the maximum occurrences of a number in an input sequence.
      eg: If input sequence is 1,2,2,3,4,4,3,4, then answer is 3 (4 is repeated 3 times)
      Same program, the input sequence can be very large and the each of the numbers can also range from 1-million, then how to calculate.

7. Questions about process and threads, IPC.

Round 2:
      1. Consider two sorted arrays A[50] and B[20]. A has 30 elements arranged in the first 30 spaces and B is filled fully with 20 elements. Now merge the elements of B with A in a sorted order in O(n) time complexity.

2. Consider two sorted arrays A[120] and B[100]. Both arrays are filled with elements. Now find the middle most element (220/2 = 110th element) if both arrays were merged in a sorted order without actually creating a new array and merging the two arrays.

3. Can realloc be used to free memory?

4. What is "this" operator? What happens when "delete this" is called in the destructor of a class.

5. In a knockout tournament with 64 teams with two teams competing at a time, how many matches will the winner have to play?

6. In a IPL match with 8 teams, how many matches will the winner have to play?

Answer Question

Architect Interview

I had 6 rounds of interview.
    First round was a written test
    Second round was a technical interview
    Third was another technical interview with an architect
    Fourth was a managerial interview
    Fifth was another senior technical level interview
    Finally, the HR interview

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems India.

First, there was a written aptitude + technical screening test. It had 50 questions- 20 aptitude + logical reasoning questions and 30 technical questions mainly from topics- Computer Networking, Analog and digital communication, Digital Electronics, Data Structures, OS.
    Then, there were 2 technical interview rounds followed by HR round. In technical round, they asked about project/internships and gave coding questions to solve.