Cisco Systems India Software Engineer III Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.7

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

I had total 4 rounds of technical discussion each lasting between 60 to 90 mins. All rounds were on the same day. Had been to Cisco in the morning and came out at 6 in the evening.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems India

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems India.

Interview

Got a call through referral. Had a couple of technical rounds wherein was asked about my past work exp and what do I expect in my profile at Cisco. Entire process was very professional handled. Technical panel was well experienced and asked me very good questions related to Networking and Telecom Concepts.

Interview Questions

• How would you undertake a project from end-to-end basis which involves requirement understanding,team formation,team mentor ship,Individual contribution,people management in order to meet the expected deliverable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)).

Interview

Interview process comprises of multiple rounds. Initial screening round was through telephonic interview and later followed by multiple one on one rounds at the Cisco Campus in Bangalore.

Since the position was for dev test engineer, so interview rounds were focused on software validation concepts, software programming as well automation using scripting languages. Automation interview was more focused toward automation in networking domain. Subsequently interview by dev test manager was also done and it was also an entire technical round.

Interview Questions

• There were multiple projects with in the same group, and question was asked which group would you prefer to work and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in January 2013.

Interview

process wa quick, but interview was tough to clear

Interview Questions

Negotiation

could not negotiate much

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in June 2012.

Interview

1 telephone round and 4 telepresence rounds.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic round: (1 hour)
      1)Mostly about the previous projects.
      2)Some technical questions based on the projects.

Telepresence rounds:

1st round:
      1)Discussed about projects.
      2)Five raliway stations A B C D E are there. The train goes only in forwarding direction. Given ticket costs between any two stations. All the ticket costs will be positive. How do you find the minimum cost of ticket between two stations.I gave recursive algorithm. Alternative improved solution is bottom approach, I wrote that algorithm later.

2nd round:
      1)TCP/IP protocol layers. Give protocols for each layer.
      2)Preamble bits. Purpose?
      3)ARP protocol
      4)When do switch broadcast the packets.
      5)Difference between TCP and UDP.
      6)How TCP connection establishment happens.
      5)program to convert from little endian to big endian
      6)what are the different areas present in address space of process.
      7)Where does global variable, static variables, mallac memory, local variables gets allocated in this areas.
      8)volatile variable. Its purpose.

3rd round:
      1)virtual memory
      2)kernel space vs user space
      3)paging
      4)segmentation
      5)interrupt context vs process context
      6)DMA.
      7)How do you find whether machine is little endian or big endian.
      8)About projects

4th round:
      1)What are your strenths.
      2)What are your weaknesses.
      3)Why should we hire you?
      4)Explained about their work and asked What technical knowledge you bring to team if we hire you?
      5)Salary expectations.
      6)Are you willing to relocate?

HR process is very slow. HR intially said i cleared the tech interviews and they are interested to give offer and later no call from them about the offer. After making 3 to 4 calls to HR, they said about no offer. Eventhough Tech interviews are good, as the HR are not responsive, i had overall negative experience.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in November 2011.

Interview

It was an exhaustive process. 5 rounds.
    All the rounds were equally detailed against my expectations.
    I was expecting subsequent rounds to become tougher but it didn't happen.

Round-1: Panel had 2 people (Sr.Engineer/Lead I guess)

Interview consisted of basic C questions like:
    - Write a prototype for String concat function
    - Implement the above prototype.
      There were cross questions like what should be the return type (status code SUCCESS/FAIL)
      Input string should be const* or not.
      Should the input also contain a length field to take care of non-NULL terminated strings?
      Who will take care of malloc/free (caller or the implementation).
      What things u'll have to take care if u make this function compile as a library - re-entrancy etc.

- Second question was related to link list operations.
      It was a puzzle popularly known as the link list Y problem. You can google for it.
      Questions were raised on complexity of the algo and the best solution possible.
      I was not asked to write any code for this.

- Implementation of Binary tree
    - implementation of circular linked list and then writing a program to add a new node at the end and delete the existing last one.
    - 8 queen problem on a chess board
    - priority inversion
    - what are priority queues
    - write a program to generate combinations of a given set of characters
    - use of volatile type qualifier
    - how does windows socket communication work in single server multiple client and single thred system
    - difference between semaphore and mutex
    - count number of 1 in a int
    - how to multiply a number by 7 without using multipilcation and and addition
    - how is negative number represented in C
    - how to detect loop in linked list
    - how to delete current node in the linked list when previous node is not known
    - how to find middle of the linked list
    - AVL trees
    - strcmp function ( optimized implementation, hint: using checksum )
    - 8 ball given find the odd ball in 3 tries (odd ball can be heavy or light )
    - OS implemetation of mutex and semaphore

- Then they asked a puzzle..which was quite easy to crack..They also asked me to ask them a puzzle :) and I did that.

Overall the round was very open...interviewers were very friendly and I never felt any stress.

Round-2: 1 guy. Senior Manager.

Asked me in detail about my current project.
    --He was interested more on the network side of IMS. , So I went into the details of CSCFs.
    --He specifically grilled me a lot on how an IP packet is routed in IMS network (UE to PCSCF--ICSCF--SCSCF)...and was finally convinced.
    But was a very friendly guy and kept me at ease.

Round-3: 1 guy. Senior Manager.
    Very cool and friendly guy.
    Tried to understand how routing in IMS works ?
    Then asked me IP related questions.
    How IP routing works ? Subnetting ? How Ping works ?
    DNS, ICMP, ARP, DHCP, etc ?

Round-4: 1 guy. Senior Manager.
    Asked me if I had written a "sufficiently big" C program in previous round ?
    Made me implement a binary tree. Source code went up to 4-5 white sheets.
    Asked few cross questions on the code and corrected me where he felt I was wrong.

Round-5: 1 guy. Senior Manager.
    Asked me to explain how all layers of protocol stack work and which network entities are involved - starting from the moment you type a URL in web browser till the time the page is displayed.

Then asked me lot of non-technical questions like "what makes a good manager"? What are good qualities of a team player ?
    How do u think u'll manage work life balance here under high work load etc etc...
    Basically he wanted to study my temperament..as there are no definite answers to these questions :)

Interview Questions

• how does windows socket communication work in single server multiple client and single thred system   Answer Question
    • write a program to generate combinations of a given set of characters   Answer Question

Negotiation

NOT much to Negotiata

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in October 2011.

Interview

There are mainly 4-5 rounds of technical interview. Mostly related to the current role and past roles.
    Operating Systems and Programming Technique is mostly tested. Very less scope of questions related to optimisation or puzzle programs. A bit of data structure and algorithms are also asked. Negotiation is a key thing in getting best offer. Please be sure to which band you are interviewed for. Its a common trend hiring people in lower band .

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had another offer at that time so i did not negotiate much. Although it turned out the offer was less than what was current standard in the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in May 2011.

Interview

The interview includes 1-2 written rounds of basic networking concepts, 3-5 Technical Interview based on your expertise. It helps to have any of the Cisco Certifications including CCNA, CCNP or CCIE. The technical rounds are followed by a Manager round and an HR round which might take time upto a week. The Manager round can also include technical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in July 2010.

Interview

I had 3 rounds of technical interview and 2 rounds of non technical interview where project and my work related things are discussed. Technical includes testing my embedded knowledge, basic networking concepts, Operating System and Data structure

Interview Questions

• Puzzles like findings a duplicate number in a array of 100 filled with 0 to 99 randomly and one number is duplicated. Need to write a efficient and fast algorithm to find the duplication.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems India (Bangalore (India)) in April 2010.

Interview

3 to 4 rounds. Started with telephonic screening, Face-to-Face and 1 from US Senior member/Manager.
    Telephonic screening includes discussion on projects worked.
    Face-to-Face : Started with aptitude questions. More technical discussions on project worked and requirement.
    Call from US : Technical discussion.
    HR round on Phone call