Cisco Systems

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Applied online, then had a phone interview.

Interview Question – Just asked about my experiences, extra-curricular, etc.   Answer Question

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2011.

Interview Details – As a computer science major after my sophomore year, I was looking for an internship. Someone mentioned Cisco and I sent an email to them along with my resume. I was Interviewed jointly by two software engineers over the phone. Was asked about my experience with networking and what I knew about networking. I was asked about my coursework at my university and what language(s) I preferred. I was given a few scenarios where a network was behaving weird and was asked what steps I would take to figure out the cause of the problem and how I would fix it. Since the engineers worked primarily with test automation, the questions were centered around trying to figure my methodology in finding out the cause of problems and rectifying them. They were satisfied with my responses and my overall approach to problem solving. I was scheduled to interview with the hiring manager the next day or two.

I couple days later the manager that I would be working for gave me a call to get a better idea about me and current knowledge base. It was a more relaxed interview, mostly to see if I was personable and easy to get along with, and if I would be a good fit for his team. That went well also.

My recruiter sent me an email within the next couple days informing me that they were extending an offer to work for them over the summer as a software engineering intern. Overall a great first-time experience.

Interview Question – What do you know about MTU? Please explain what it does and/or how it is used to the best of your knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As an intern, there are no negotiations. Undergrad engineering interns receive $20/hr (full time 40 hrs/week)

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2012.

Interview Details – Why masters?
Detailed explanation of all the projects I've done.
Courses taken in Masters.
Where are thread variables stored and process variables stored?
Difference between stack and queue?
Any implementation of stack?

Interview Question – Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in April 2012.

Interview Details – Got an on-campus interview through my university. I was interviewed by two groups for about half an hour each. They asked me about my resume, coursework, and asked me a few technical questions. After about a week, I was asked for information to complete a background check, and I received the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a queue and a stack? Then, describe which one should be implemented with a singly linked list and which one should be implemented with doubly linked list.   View Answer
  • What is polymorphism?   Answer Question
  • In Java, what is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2010.

Interview Details – first got a 1:1 interview on campus. asked behavior questions such as team work, problem solving. also asked some technical questions. then got a phone interview from the hiring manager. got the offer within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – tell me a time when you faced a problem and you solved it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not negotiate

San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiting at my local university. Met with the division manager that was hiring. Accepted my resume. Called me to schedule an interview on location. Once arrived was interviewed by 3 people individually, all engineers i'd be working with. First person asked me general questions about my past projects in electrical engineering and past internship experiences and how that helped me or what I learned. next one asked me about metastability and also about past projects. Last one asked me about c++ coding structures and how I would design a loop to go over an array of some sort. I can't remember too well. He also asked about Design verification generalities as to how I would check for errors on a basic calculator that was giving a wrong answer. Was thrown off by the simplicity of it but if you think about it he was looking at how I would go about the process, he didn't expect me to really know how to fix a simple calculator. He was trying to see how my thought process was in design verification mostly. Interesting interview process to say the least. It wasn't difficult but it wasn't the easiest either.

Interview Questions

• Describe past internships and what you learned from them?   Answer Question
  • How would you go over an array in C++ to check for different cases? (more or less, cant remember what else was entailed in this question).   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied at the school's career website. And Cisco come to school for an on-campus interview. It took about 50 minutes. They started with a programming question: please write code to compute x^x without using multiple. And then they asked a lot of resume questions and behavioral questions. All these questions could be easy if you understand the details of your past projects and make some mock interview practice before you go to the Cisco interview.

Interview Question – Please write code to compute x^x without using multiple   View Answers (3)

San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2010.

Interview Details – Asked many personal questions followed by technical questions. Questions vary from interview to interview.

Interview Question – Explain hash tables   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2009.

Interview Details – Had on on-campus interview. Went through my resume, asked about my projects. Then went on to ask some HR type questions and that was it.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation where one of your sub-ordinates is not performing his job, but used to work well when he was under someone else   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation , only if you have a competing offer do they negotiate

Raleigh, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2010.

Interview Details – This was just for a internship. There was a group of 3 of us, and we individually met with the hiring manager and another guy who asked us technical questions. The HM asked me about my resume details, to get a feel for me. The technical guy wanted to ascertain my depth of knowledge (the field is network engineering). Apparently I did well, they liked me best of 3.

Interview Question – Some technical details about Linux (how to set the IP address.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No