Cisco Systems

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – Came in through the 2007 choice program. Met a recruiter at university, had a 1:1 interview, then was scheduled to come on-site to interview with 3 engineers. The questions were very easy probably because they wanted to get younger people into the company.

Interview Question – General Operating System questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Boxborough, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2013.

Interview Details – An initial phone screening with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview with a manager. On site interview with 5 people (the more people you talk to the better, as they will cut the interview short if they aren't getting a good impression). I talked to the site lead manager first, then 3 engineers, th

Interview Question – If your workstation cannot ping google, how would you debug the problem?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 85,000 + 8% targed annual bonus. They recruiter attempted to low ball me in terms of position and salary at first, as I am very young for the industry. I recommend sharing your actual salary desires and to not underrate yourself.

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was taken by group of 4 people. Got the offer on the same day.Questions were mainly technical in nature on temp & voltage variation.It was for EDVT test position. Most of the interviewers were hardware engineers.

Interview Question – Temp effect on voltage.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Oversee development and maintenance of computer systems.
Identify departmental needs and make suggestions regarding technical direction.
Set up organization's intranets.
Design and implement system security and data assurance.
Configure and install computer systems for other organizations.
Design and develop software.
Test software applications and systems.
Develop different types of software, including computer games, business applications, operating systems, network control systems, and middleware.
Apply knowledge of computing systems and software structure.
Analyze users' needs.
Create flowcharts, diagrams, and other documentation.
Create manuals and detailed sets of instructions including algorithms that tell computers what to do.
Convert instructions into computer languages.

Interview Question – Sink tree and two sum. How do you solve?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2014.

Interview Details – Found out about position through word of mouth from former manager. Recommendations from current and former Cisco employees is key since cultural fit is very, very important for new hires. Basic competency - ability to do the job - can be discovered pretty quickly. What cannot, and what is very important at Cisco, is "Can I work with this person?" You don't get in the door if you don't already have impressive accomplishments, grades, or recommendations. That fulfills the baseline expectation for candidates. After that it comes down to cultural and team fit.

Negotiation Details – Straightforward, matter of fact. I knew the budget for the position going in and simply worked within that.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2010.

Interview Details – A lot of specific technical questions to see if you know what you are doing from others in the position. Hiring manager more concerned with past experience and other "soft" skills. Most people have good interviewing skills although an I/C asked me for my salary requirements, which I though was inappropriate. (I stated that it was best left at the time I was made a job offer, but everything is negotiable.)

Interview Question – What kind of salary are you looking for? It would have been okay from management, but I got it from an I/C which I really didn't like.

Lot of questions on SCRUM/Agile, willingness to work over time etc.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Job offer was made. Got an "off-the-record" offer from the hiring manager. Had to interview with HR, before the compensation package was finalized.

Demand Analyst Interview

Demand Analyst

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – I was located remotely. One round of HR + One round with hiring managers ( 2 of them) + 7 rounds of in person interviews. The actual interviews were not very tough since I have relevant experience. Hence was able to talk about the process issues etc demonstrating my knowledge. Back to back 7 hrs in one day was exhausting with you locked in one conference room and the next interviewer waiting to start before you are done with the current.

Over all it was a good experience and I took the job.

Interview Question – Three scenarios of dealing with difficult stakeholders. how did you deal with them and how would you do it now if you have to do the same now, how would you deal.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Internally hired from another area of the company. There were no unexpected or unusual questions posed. It was more difficult coming into the company from outside since there was more than one interview in that process.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Talk with hiring manager and he/she will move forward with a lead designer in the team. Process of interview: self-intro, why you are interested in Cisco, what you are interested in, tell me about some projects you have done on the portfolio: what challenges you have encountered, Questions?

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. But they do care a lot about your projects on the portfolio. "What did you learn from this project"   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Junior Software Engineer

Interview Details – Coming out of college I interviewed with Cisco and they were very nice and made me feel welcome. They asked me several technical general programming questions trying to get an understanding of how I think about problems and go about solving them. Once they had made a decision the manager kept in close contact with me and answered all my questions

Interview Question – draw a model for a gumball machine and explain what classes you would use   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It wasn't really what I wanted to do. I should have taken it

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!