Cisco Systems

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014
1,181 Interview Reviews

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

First stage of an interview was a phone screening. I was contacted via email to set a telephone interview. Since this position was outside USA, I was contacted by some recruiting agency located in UK. Immediately, there was a little problem. Person who was responsible to set up phone call did not considered the time difference or probably was not paying attention on my address. It was easily fixed, but for me left a not professional impression. When you're dealing with such a great and large company as Cisco, you simply not expecting this. Forgot to mention that person was 15 minutes late to start conference call.
    Phone interview was very typical. Person confirmed all job requirements and if I can meet them. After that, I was asked several technical questions. Here is the list:
    1. Explain cloud technology
    2. Explain principal of cell phone operation
    3. Explain computer networking.
    I think for me most unexpected questions were to explain cloud technology and cell phone operation. I have a 2 years experience in completely different field and I was expecting a questions about my skills, experience, current job and reasons to change a career and relocate to another country. Surprisingly, none of those question were asked.
    I had a many interviews in past, but this one felt very long. The reason for this is my interviewer was taking a notes as usual, but it was very very slow. After my answers there was a couple minutes pause. It seems a bit odd to me since I never experienced that. Usually it's on going conversation between two people.
    Another thing that I didn't like. Since I was not interviewed by Cisco HR person, I was not able to get an answers for the question I had. Position was not very descriptive and my interviewer had no idea about the hiring process, overall position expectations, relocation expenses, benefits and etc.
    A week after this interview I received an email with instructions for next step in the interview process. I was asked to submit a two minutes video response for topic provided. It was a very technical question that was beyond my knowledge. It was such a great experience for me. You only have 2 minutes to provide an answer and you have to be very specific, detailed and clear. Also, I am not that type of person who can easy speak on camera.
    Overall, I was very satisfied with the second stage of the interview.
    The final, third stage of the process, was an interview on site at Cisco Assessment Center. There were four stages of the interview:
    - 15 minutes technical assessment.
    - 30 minute individual interview with the assessors consisting of managers from the Field Sales Organization
    - a 20 minute role play conducted with my assessors
    - 10 minutes presentation to my assessors on specified topic. In this case, no laptop was allowed. I was allowed to give a handouts and use a blackboard.
    All information and actions required were given in advance. I had 10 days to prepare for the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain principal of cell phone operation
      Explain cloud technology
        Answer Question

Virtual Partner Advisor Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

The hiring process was initially facilitated through the vendor. When the phone interview was scheduled, the manager called me for a quick rundown of the project, what help the team was looking for, and allowed me to briefly talk about my background. The manager made it a relatively quick phone call, so I was concerned they would want to continue interviewing others. However, I had passed the initial screening and was set up to have phone interviews with two other directors I would be supporting.

Interview Questions
    • Are you sensitive to criticism? Manager informed me there would be nit-picky feedback on reports or presentations and wanted to make sure I would not take personal offense.   Answer Question

Was more excited about the integration project

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Pretty Straight forward, telephonic interview with an engineer. If that does well there will be an onsite interview for about 3-4 hours with different team members. The results can be after one week or it might take some time depending upon the companies hiring state. Sometime it can be as fast as 2 days and sometimes if the position is frozen there won't be any news :-(.

Information Technology Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I met CISCO employers when they came to our university Career Fair. After 1 week I had an interview in our university as well. The interview was behavioral and the interviewer asked questions about team work, projects, weaknesses etc. I thought I answered question well, but somehow got different response from the employers.

Software Engineer Interview

Submitted my resume and was called back for an interview. Was only a sophomore and he asked questions that were beyond my coding experience. These included stuff about speeding up a program and how to refer to its stackframe. Could have killed it if i came more prepared.

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

It was fully technical. Interview was for half an hour. Interviewer was very friendly. Still its under process. Hope I will get offer. 1) She gave me one hexadecimal number and told to convert to decimal.
    2) Intersection of two string. Result must be a string.
    3) Define class and interfaces for elevator.

Interview Questions
    • 1) She gave me one hexadecimal number and told to convert to decimal.
      2) Intersection of two string. Result must be a string.
      3) Define class and interfaces for elevator.
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Applied through on-campus recruiter. Scheduled an interview a week later only to have it postponed a month. Interview was mostly technical. What part did talk about interest in the company and position didn't seem to interest interviewer. For technical thought process questions, when I didn't get an answer or I got it wrong the interviewer had no interest in talking about it and just wanted an answer.

Interview Questions
    • 8 balls the same size; one is heavier than others; how many times do you need to use a balance scale to find the ball? How many times if you don't know whether the ball is heavier or lighter?
      Light bulb in a room; three switches outside the room; can only go into the room once; how do you find which switch goes to the light?
        View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview was filled with behavioral questions. It was a very laid back, quick interview (30 min). Many scenario questions were asked, so prepare for that as well as questions like "why are you studying your major" or "what would you say is most difficult about working with groups?"

Questions are asked off resume as well. I was asked what BFS is and how to implement it but that question came up after discussing one of my projects.

Interview Questions
    • If a teammate was not delivering their work, what would you do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Started at recruiting even on campus. After learning of the internship I applied online. Around a month passed before I received an email in regards to the internship. I was then contacted by somebody in HR to set up an interview through webex. The first round interview lasted thirty minutes, and was with an NCE. A lot of the questions were personality based, and asking what my goals were. A few technical questions were thrown in at the end. Overall a good experience, Cisco seems like a great company to work for. I am scheduled for the next round of interviews, I will try to update.

Interview Questions
    • describe OSPF, also asked to tell them network, broadcast, and usable addresses for certain IP addresses in different subnets. No calculator obviously.   View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Applied via an employee referral. Contacted me towards the end up September to schedule an interview. Interviewed with a manager who asked a few behavioral questions and specific resume questions. Overall the interviewer was kind and easy going. It ended on a positive note, and I heard back about a month later with an offer email.

Interview Questions
    • None really. We talked about my past positions and what I did there. The typical leadership questions came up.   Answer Question

Had a different offer that wouldn't require an eventual move.