Cisco Systems Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014
1,131 Interview Reviews

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

It was a really short interview (general screening process) - she asked me to introduce myself and then asked me two quick questions after that. I asked her quite a few questions, and we finished the interview in about 15 minutes within the half an hour time slot. I asked her if she had any further questions for me, and she did not.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about finding out the number of cars in the US?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

I went to the career fair and got an phone interview in couple of weeks. The interview is half behavior and half technical. The interviewer asked me some questions based on my resume including detailed knowledge in networks.

Solutions Architect Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Found by 3rd party recruiter. The recruiters were super organized and helped with every step of the way through multiple interviews and salary negotiation. There were 3 phone interviews over the space of a week and the recruiter prepped me for each interviewer by letting me know their role. 2 of the 3 interviewers were not the hiring manager, but his peers.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about Six Sigma tools because I am certified and the interviewer was a black belt.   View Answer
    I offered a range that was 5K apart and the offered me the low end of my range.

Product Manager for Cloud Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

The hiring manager reached out through me via Linkedin.
    Initial phone conversation was brief; roughly 30 minutes.
    I could not get him to describe the position with clarify but we did agree to move on to the next steps.
    Setting up the location interview went through 5 HR managers - not joking.
    This gives me the realization of large corporation - even though I work in a corporation that's larger in size.
    Finally met up with another product manager.
    First standard question : why are you leaving your current position ?
    I was like : get your facts right. Your manager reached out to me for an opportunity; you need to sell it to me.
    Then he went on with google-type brain teaser question.
    Again, let's get the facts right : you have 45 minutes to tell me why I should join your team and you're here to test me ? simply because you're sitting in the receiving company chair ?
    I humored him with whatever answer I can come up with.

He even said, he was a CEO of his own company and he could answer these types of questions (so one could start a new company with great business ideas).

Ok, your startup dream did not work out and you're now here to see if others have better ideas so you can......

Lastly I asked him : why did you quit your CEO job ?
    He answered: he will have a better chance to make a difference at Cisco.
    Really ?

I replied : maybe you can take the answers from all applicants that you're interviewing and be a CEO of another startup.

Grin.

Software Engineer Interview

Got an on-campus interview scheduled through the school.
    Since it was a full time entry position, had two senior software engineering interviewing me in a room.
    Asked some basic questions on the resume.
    Asked what my favorite language was and OO concepts. What is good about it and how it is powerful compared to others. What 'static' variables meant.
    Programming questions like: code in java for binary search. reverse a double linked nodes.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Found and signed up for the interview through a school website. Also had contact with them through a school career fair. Got offered the interview through the school website and signed up for an interview time. Interviewer asked me about things on my resume regarding my experience with certain equipment. Also asked technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me questions about circuits that were a little tricky but also walked through getting the answer with me.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Simple standard steps for programming language of C. Unix internal IPC communication mechanics
    Bit operation and general networking protocols basic.
    45 min each of 4 people interview in one afternoon long.
    Link list and pointers and structures in C

Finance Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Very simple interview process that involved a phone screening and more detailed interview. This was just to get to know the candidate and match personality with company culture. Very similar to most first round phone screens. Very positive experience and extremely nice interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you had to work on a team and what type of team to do you like to work on?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

After being a summer marketing intern for Cisco Systems, I expected better communication about Full Time Conversion offers from my University Relations recruiter and contact who had been in touch with us all summer. Instead, the timeline they gave us was all wrong. They told us they expected to hear on full time conversion opportunities for summer interns by mid-September, but did not hear a word from them until I asked for more information in November. It took 3 more months to set up an interview. After two rounds of positive response WebEx interviews with managers and team members about 6 months after our internships ended, I again did not hear anything from anyone Cisco related regarding ANY follow up. To this day, I never heard back about an offer. I was left in the dark about the hiring the whole year. It was an unpleasant experience for such a sophisticated company program, and I have a bad taste in my mouth from the entire process.

Sales Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Your best option is to be referred by a current employee, especially one that personally knows the hiring manager. That is what helped me get the initial interview with the recruiter. Interview process took nearly two months. Please be prepared for a long process. I had 7 face-to-face interviews in one day.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall a difficult question but the interview process was lengthy. I had 7 face-to-face interviews in one day.   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to counter-offer. Be assertive and reiterate the value you bring to the table.