Cisco Systems

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015
1,237 Interview Reviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

A friend who worked at Cisco suggested I apply for the position. I applied through the website.

A phone pre-screen with the internal recruiter was first, followed by a programming exercise that was done at home, followed by an in-person interview.

I was told by the recruiter that there was a hard time limit for the exercise, but later the hiring manager told me that there was not, and I should finish the exercise which I had left incomplete due to time constraints.

The recruiter was very slow getting back to me. I was able to reach out to the hiring manager to prompt more action from the recruiter. The interview went well, and the group and I got along well.

Eventually an offer was made. I asked if I could get more, and eventually got a cash signing bonus.

Interview Questions
    I was unable to get a higher offer, or get stocks or options, but I did negotiate a cash signing bonus.

Hardware Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

The hiring process was standard. The hiring manager called for quick introduction that lasted for about 10 minutes.
    Next step was the interview process on site, that went on for about 4 hours. I was interviewed by 5 team members and they asked questions related to my past experience in Asic design(for the most part)
    They asked minor questions on the different types of memory.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult question was, describing the flow of a 64 bit MIPS   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I was contacted by a staffing agency about the position in CISCO, RTP. The initial round with CISCO was a webex call, but due to some issues with my internet connection, I couldn't take up the Webex and the Manager has called me on my mobile and it was 1:1 phone interview asking me to rate myself on Java and if I had any Linux experience. Asked If I have any usage of SQL and GIT. And asked about my expertise.

Got the result in 4 days, and the next round was with a panel of 7 members. 1 team member escorted to the meeting room and excused himself saying there is a priority. So it was a 6 member panel interview which went real smooth. There was no White Board coding. Asked so many questions from my resume like what was my contribution, Did I code any functionality from scratch... It was basically projecting yourself exactly the way your resume talks. This round was like a behavioral kinda as well - What challenges I faced. Finally 1 technical question was asked in Java - Difference b/w Interface and Abstract Class.

Interview Questions
    • I was an ex employee of Oracle. So asked me what disadvantages I had working with Oracle DB. This was an unexpected question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as I was a contractor and I know my pay rate per hour.

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I gave my resume in college career fair. They scheduled an interview in college campus after 3 weeks. The interview was for 30 mins.

Q1: Given a position, find the fibonacci number in that position?
    Q2: Given two strings, find the common characters between those two?

Then asked random questions like advantages and disadvantages automated testing, hash table, caching, design an elevator system etc.,

Interview Questions
    • Asked too many questions in 30 mins. She did not give enough time to optimize my solution.   View Answers (2)

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

I had an introductory interview with them, about an hour long just to get to know me and talk about my resume. That was the easy part.

The next step was a two-pronged interview over Skype. The first interview was with a CSE team manager. Pretty easy, just talking about how compatible your work style was with the team's style. It was friendly and informative and very casual. It was about 45 minutes.

The second was an interview with two current/past CSE's. This was not advertised to me as a technical interview but it became one very quickly. For the first half hour, it contained basic questions about where my industry strength and weaknesses were: what I had been trained to do, what I hadn't, how much I knew about their company, ect. At the half hour mark, the second CSE took over and began drilling me with code samples asking me "What does this do? What does that do?"

It took my by surprise because they used code languages I had told them I hadn't had a lot of experience in, but continued to ask me questions despite my "I don't know"s. After this technical portion, the two interviewers were much "colder" to me than they had been previously. I asked them 10 minutes worth of follow up questions and then we left.

They told me they would contact me in 2-3 weeks.

Overall the process took about 6 weeks from first contact to end of interviewing.

IT Analyst Interview

it was a on campus interview, they have two interviewers. and the questions are mostly behavioral questions. the whole process took about 25 min. its my first interview ever so it didn't go well for me cuz i'm nervious.

Interview Questions
    • not really any unexpected questions. one question is that whats the difference between struct and class.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

On campus interview, 2 technical rounds followed by a HR round. The recruiters made me feel comfortable. Most questions are basic questions to test understanding of fundamentals of various subjects.

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Three phone interviews, over the phone offer. Spoke with hiring manager, financial analyst, and domain expert. Questions were general, assessing experience and personality. Found out later that the interview process was expedited to fill position faster.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do to handle an unexpected/emergency during the execution of a project?   View Answer
    They needed to fill the position immediately, they were willing to give in on many of my demands.

Finance Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cisco Systems.

An ex-coworker approached me about a job opportunity on his team. I had one telephone interview and 3 1:1 interviews. After the interviews I received an offer, then negotiated to salary and start date.

Software QA Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cisco Systems.

Phone call + Google Docs coding. Process took roughly 1 hour.
    First asked a few questions about Java and basic coding concepts learned usually in first year of college. Then there was two simple coding exercises in Google Docs. I forgot one, but the other is described in the "most difficult or unexpected question" section.

Later on he told me he was testing for thought process during the coding practices. Interview experiences will vary quite a bit because he said that different interviewers will test different things. He emphasized type of personality over raw knowledge, as long as you meet the minimum requirements.

Interview Questions
    • Not too hard, but write a short program to determine if a number is divisible by a 5. He asked for you to talk him through your thought process, and would hint at corner cases if you missed something.   Answer Question