Cisco Systems Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
1,106 Interview Reviews

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

There was a fixed half an hour interview. Most of it was technical and other questions were asked based on my resume. I was asked details on each and every project. They asked about the challenges I faced during my projects both in a company as well as school.

All in all it was a holistic interview.

Interview Questions
    I accepted the offer without negotiation

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Came in through the 2007 choice program. Met a recruiter at university, had a 1:1 interview, then was scheduled to come on-site to interview with 3 engineers. The questions were very easy probably because they wanted to get younger people into the company.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boxborough, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boxborough, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2013.

An initial phone screening with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview with a manager. On site interview with 5 people (the more people you talk to the better, as they will cut the interview short if they aren't getting a good impression). I talked to the site lead manager first, then 3 engineers, th

Interview Questions
    • If your workstation cannot ping google, how would you debug the problem?   View Answer
    85,000 + 8% targed annual bonus. They recruiter attempted to low ball me in terms of position and salary at first, as I am very young for the industry. I recommend sharing your actual salary desires and to not underrate yourself.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2010.

Interview was taken by group of 4 people. Got the offer on the same day.Questions were mainly technical in nature on temp & voltage variation.It was for EDVT test position. Most of the interviewers were hardware engineers.

Did not negotiate.

Systems Engineer Interview

Oversee development and maintenance of computer systems.
    Identify departmental needs and make suggestions regarding technical direction.
    Set up organization's intranets.
    Design and implement system security and data assurance.
    Configure and install computer systems for other organizations.
    Design and develop software.
    Test software applications and systems.
    Develop different types of software, including computer games, business applications, operating systems, network control systems, and middleware.
    Apply knowledge of computing systems and software structure.
    Analyze users' needs.
    Create flowcharts, diagrams, and other documentation.
    Create manuals and detailed sets of instructions including algorithms that tell computers what to do.
    Convert instructions into computer languages.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2014.

Found out about position through word of mouth from former manager. Recommendations from current and former Cisco employees is key since cultural fit is very, very important for new hires. Basic competency - ability to do the job - can be discovered pretty quickly. What cannot, and what is very important at Cisco, is "Can I work with this person?" You don't get in the door if you don't already have impressive accomplishments, grades, or recommendations. That fulfills the baseline expectation for candidates. After that it comes down to cultural and team fit.

Straightforward, matter of fact. I knew the budget for the position going in and simply worked within that.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2010.

A lot of specific technical questions to see if you know what you are doing from others in the position. Hiring manager more concerned with past experience and other "soft" skills. Most people have good interviewing skills although an I/C asked me for my salary requirements, which I though was inappropriate. (I stated that it was best left at the time I was made a job offer, but everything is negotiable.)

Interview Questions
    • What kind of salary are you looking for? It would have been okay from management, but I got it from an I/C which I really didn't like.

Lot of questions on SCRUM/Agile, willingness to work over time etc.
        Answer Question
    Job offer was made. Got an "off-the-record" offer from the hiring manager. Had to interview with HR, before the compensation package was finalized.

Demand Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I was located remotely. One round of HR + One round with hiring managers ( 2 of them) + 7 rounds of in person interviews. The actual interviews were not very tough since I have relevant experience. Hence was able to talk about the process issues etc demonstrating my knowledge. Back to back 7 hrs in one day was exhausting with you locked in one conference room and the next interviewer waiting to start before you are done with the current.

Over all it was a good experience and I took the job.

Interview Questions
    • Three scenarios of dealing with difficult stakeholders. how did you deal with them and how would you do it now if you have to do the same now, how would you deal.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Internally hired from another area of the company. There were no unexpected or unusual questions posed. It was more difficult coming into the company from outside since there was more than one interview in that process.

User Experience Designer Interview

Talk with hiring manager and he/she will move forward with a lead designer in the team. Process of interview: self-intro, why you are interested in Cisco, what you are interested in, tell me about some projects you have done on the portfolio: what challenges you have encountered, Questions?

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. But they do care a lot about your projects on the portfolio. "What did you learn from this project"   Answer Question