Cisco Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director of Engineering Interview

Director of Engineering
San Jose, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Cisco Systems in February 2014.

Interview Details – Need to meet with various department heads to discuss qualifications. Each department head had their list of questions that pertained to their areas and how well you were qualified. There was also a desire to understand if you were are self starter and were willing to work through road blocks.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work for Cisco versus some of the hotter technology companies   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2010.

Interview Details – 1. Define Storage Classes and explain application domain.
register - tell to the compiler for use a CPU register for fast aceess for that variable.

auto - it's a variable created and initialized when it is defined. It is not visible outside of the block.

static - defined inside of the function retain its value between calls. Always is initialized with 0. Defined as global in a file is visible on for the functions from that file.

extern - the definition of the variable is in another file.

2. Define the Storage Qualifiers

const - define a variable that can not change its value along the program execution.

volatile - define a variable that can be changed indirectly. An example can be a counter register that is updated by hardware.

mutuable - a member of a structure or object can be changed even if the structure, for example is declared const:

Ex: struct complex {mutuable int x; int y;};

const complex Mycomplex = {1, 2};

Mycomplex.x = 3; /* correct */

3. Give an example for a variable "const" and "volatile". Is it possible?

Yes, a status register for a microcontroller.

4. Detect if a linked list is circular.

Need to use 2 pointers, one incrementing by 1 and another by 2. If the list is circular, then pointer that is incremented by 2 elements will pass over the first pointer.

5. Have you any remarks?

#define res(a) a*a

Using in this form the result will not be like we expect. Thinking that "a" is replaced with (2+3), then we will obtain 2+3*2+3 = 11 instead (2+3)*(2+3) = 25.

Use always #define res(a) (a)*(a)

6. Define a "dangling" pointer

Dangling pointer is obtained by using the address of an object which was freed.

7. Any difference between "const int*ptr" and int *const ptr" ?

Yes, it's a major difference. First define a constant data and second define a constant pointer.

8. What is the declaration and definition of a variable?

The definition contains the implementation for a method or variable declaration. This is just an example.

9. Give a solution for a stack overflow situation.

func_call() {

funct_call();

}

Every time the above function is called the return address is stored onto the stack. Calling in this infinite loop will cause a stack overflow.

10. Give 4 examples for an infinite loop.

a. while (1) {}

b. for (;;) {}

c. do {}while{1};

d. label:

goto label;

Interview Question – What are the difference between DES and RSA algorithm?   Answer Question

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Customer Support Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was hired through campus recruiting efforts at my university's career fair. I met with a recruiter and set up an on-campus interview. It was rather straightforward and behavioral based and lasted a little over half an hour. Then a few weeks later I got an email saying I'd made it to the second and final round, which would be conducted remotely using Cisco's telepresence technology. It was 2 hours. I spent half an hour speaking with a member of management who gauged my interest and talked about my experience for a little while. Then there was a break and I spoke with two Customer Support Engineers for the "technical interview". There was no coding examples and almost everything was situational problem solving.

Interview Question – What would you do if Customer X called and told you "this isn't working"?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Salary was determined based on years experience and was not open to negotiation.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems in August 2010.

Interview Details – technical interview. coding question on traversing a linked list. improving the speed of execution of an algorithm. i wrote an algorithm that was O(n). i then made it O(log n) and then I made it O(1).
I was then asked to write an algorithm to delete something in a linked list only traversing it once

Interview Question – walk a linked list   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – bad. HR did not let me negotiate

PROGRAM MANAGER NEW PRODUCT Interview

PROGRAM MANAGER NEW PRODUCT
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – Was hired through University Hire Program. Applied through San Jose State Career site for the opening. Went through phone interview and then a on-campus interview and finally was called for a panel interview on Cisco campus.

Interview Question – Basics technical questions and some puzzles   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Took 3-4 weeks

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume to the recruiter via career fair at my university. I was called shortly after to sign up for interviews on my university campus. The interview was very easy, and I was offered the job a week or two later. There was no on site interview, which was strange to me. Everything went very smoothly and the recruiter was very receptive and timely on answering emails.

Interview Question – Given a limited amount of RAM, how would you sort an entire disks worth of data?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Intern - Hourly

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview Details – First: Received an email to schedule interview
Second: Spoke with two managers working for the Growth platform services
Third: offer
The whole process was like two months, sometimes it's really hard to get a hold of HR

Interview Question – What is your biggest failure   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – Helpful, plenty of questions, two interviews. Phone and on site. Then it was group interviews, multiple math questions and it was 3 hours long. Got an answer after four months and got a tour in San jose

Interview Question – Math tech questions   Answer Question

IT Engineer Intern Interview

IT Engineer Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cisco Systems in November 2013.

Interview Details – One in person interview, took about 30 minutes. Interviewer was friendly and easy to talk to. They took a long time to get back to me after the interview itself - probably about two weeks.

Interview Question – All Behavioral   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

Interviewed at Cisco Systems

Interview Details – it was simple process, 3 interviews followed by hr round and then offer